GDT: Anaheim Ducks @ San Jose Sharks 7:30pm 11-7-15

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
There is literally no excuse for the special teams, period. That is 100% on DoBoer, they were already bad, he made them worse.

The inability to create offense against good defensive teams like this is 100% on Wilson. Building a team with only one offensive defensemen is absurdly stupid and destined to fail.

Sharks need to make at least one trade for an offensidve defensemen, period. This team is completely doomed without some offense from the D and the worst special teams in the league. You don't win a cup without top-10 special teams, generally top-5 (in both categories). The Sharks will have to work their ass off to even work their way back to middle of the pack. They've put themselves in such a special teams hole they may not even be able to fix it at this point.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
The Sharks remind me of the Flames in their time before their rebuild..... You can see it coming with Pavs, JT, and Marleau slowing down before our eyes. Pavs looks like his skates are in cement

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why not? Signed ELC @ age 18, didn't appear in more than 9 NHL games last year, should slide another year if he doesn't play 9 games.

He's on General Fanager's entry level slide candidates FWIW: http://www.generalfanager.com/slides

Hmm...I figured him being 20 would've killed that but I guess not. I don't think the Sharks will worry about that much anyway. If they need him to play, and they do, he'll play.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
At least Matt Irwin could score from the back end even though he sucked. The Sharks need an offensively capable guy to play back there instead of Tennyson. That's part of the reason they're struggling. It would help out Dillon a ton too if he had a guy that could move the puck effectively. Demers would've been perfect for Dillon lol

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
giphy.gif

effin' shutout by an effin' backup to the effin' Ducks... Eff!

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
There is literally no excuse for the special teams, period. That is 100% on DoBoer, they were already bad, he made them worse.

The inability to create offense against good defensive teams like this is 100% on Wilson. Building a team with only one offensive defensemen is absurdly stupid and destined to fail.

Sharks need to make at least one trade for an offensidve defensemen, period. This team is completely doomed without some offense from the D and the worst special teams in the league. You don't win a cup without top-10 special teams, generally top-5 (in both categories). The Sharks will have to work their ass off to even work their way back to middle of the pack. They've put themselves in such a special teams hole they may not even be able to fix it at this point.

how about a top 25 scoring 2-way center? would that help?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
how about a top 25 scoring 2-way center? would that help?

Yeah but that doesn't make HB's point any less true. The team does need one more offensive defenseman, if they have no offense from the back end they'll be ****ed in the playoffs. Burns is fantastic but he can't do it all himself.

Btw, Burns and Goldobin were the best players on the ice tonight.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
the Dillon trade is just another Milbury-esque trade by the Milbury-esque GM.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
The loss sucks, but the Ducks are a good team despite the start to their year.

Positives - jones, burns, and goldobin.

Negatives - .500 record, special teams, lack of offence on the D.

I'm starting to get tired of the talk from the team - it's just repeated saying 'we were on our heels', 'we need to put the puck on net', etc. Just fix the problems, don't talk about it.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
That is exactly why I think they are playing Vlasic on the PP. I think DeBoer is also putting 'safe' players out on the 2nd unit. Its almost like, 'Lets see if we can generate some chances/momentum with the PP. A goal would be a bonus'. They need to try to score on the PP. That is a priority.

They have not had a single PP goal at home this year. That is amazing. :help:

Covered in a haze of bourbon last night, I was sure DeBoer does not know what he is doing. Now, with a good stiff mug of Pete's, I am thinking DeBoer may not know what he is doing.

Dillon is a real disappointment this year. I had thought he could become a bottom defenseman in a top 4 paring, but from what I've seen, I've dashed all those hopes. This is his 4th year in the NHL, and there is no excuse to make that mental error he did last night.

At 6'4", and 225lbs or so, he's built like a NHL defensemen, but in reality, he's an AHL'er. Don't let the physic fool you, DW.

One problem with the Sharks is that there are too many players that think they automatically have a position on a NHL team. Players like Dillon, Wingels, Brown, and a few others. In reality, there's not much separating them from the AHL. They need to start acting like it.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
No hindsight needed, it was flat out bad from day 1. Not the player we needed.

I though it looked like crap on day 1, but to be fair, while Demers would be a LOT better off than Dillon for this team, he's still probably not good enough to fully fill the hole we have back there. Still, we'd be in a much better place.

Also, while Mueller in the AHL is fine, he worried me a lot less last year defensively than Dillon does right now. I mean he had his foibles, but he moved the puck well and was an elite skater. I would rather have Mueller filling that spot than Dillon, and Mueller cost us nothing.

Just a dumb trade, and I expect this very well may be Wilsons last season at this point.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think the Sharks have a problem utilizing the whole area of the ice in general right now and it limits options a lot of the time. Also, whatever Spott's doing with the PP has been pretty garbage.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
God this board is so negative.

Sharks played well and had a solid effort. Ducks played great defensively and Khodobin was great positionally. Oh well. Onto tge next one.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The loss sucks, but the Ducks are a good team despite the start to their year.

Positives - jones, burns, and goldobin.

Negatives - .500 record, special teams, lack of offence on the D.

I'm starting to get tired of the talk from the team - it's just repeated saying 'we were on our heels', 'we need to put the puck on net', etc. Just fix the problems, don't talk about it.

Burns was far from a positive in this game. Him and Braun actually stood out defensively, in a bad way. None of our D really was a positive though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad