Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
I think Drysdale might get a 5 game look. We’ll see
Given the covid situation and the uncertainty surrounding the JR season it would not surprise me if the Ducks just have him hang around the team until the CHL gets sorted out because inevitably we will have positive covid cases and maybe you plug him into a couple of games or maybe we can send him to one of the european leagues

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If the junior leagues were to cancel their season, would that void the agreement (at least this year) and let under 20 players play in the AHL?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
This was years ago when Gibson was young, we were playing Andersen and we were out of the playoffs Gibson could have made a Calder run with the Gulls.

It was the year Gibson was the 1A for a top team in the league and won the Jennings award(with Andersen). I'm sure he would've made a run but its an insulting thing to do. Established guys don't get sent down for AHL playoffs runs, they get the time off.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Apparently the taxi squad needs a goaltender so we might actually have to sign two. Maybe just one depending on how they feel about Scolari, Dostal and the other two but I'd guess two.
I'm thinking we are waiting to put kesler on LTIR to sign Miller. Stolarz on taxi squad and bring Ek up to AHL to backup Dostal.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If we don’t sign Miller there will be more than a few guys on waivers we can claim and use as a backup also. Dell is a guy that will have to go on waivers and he’s a competent enough backup to have with Stolarz as the third guy.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm thinking we are waiting to put kesler on LTIR to sign Miller. Stolarz on taxi squad and bring Ek up to AHL to backup Dostal.

Oh yeah I do think Millers coming back but I wonder if they want a third guy. Two guys that young as the tandem in the AHL might not be ideal and Eriksson-Ek isn't even lighting up the ECHL, although its tough to tell. Could definitely be that simple, though.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hope we either sign/acquire more players that will actually make an impact now that the market is heating up again, or BM stops trying to delude the fanbase into thinking we're somehow a playoff team next year.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Hope we either sign/acquire more players that will actually make an impact now that the market is heating up again, or BM stops trying to delude the fanbase into thinking we're somehow a playoff team next year.
I still think Hoffman makes too much sense but I'm scared about how the taxi squad would affect cap usage.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I still think Hoffman makes too much sense but I'm scared about how the taxi squad would affect cap usage.
I highly doubt we sign Hoffman, all reports indicate that he is perfectly content with waiting for a contender to free up the cap room to sign him. Don't imagine he'd have any interest in signing here unless we offered considerably more than the field.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Wish we would've bought Backes out, would've saved us $1.5 million to use this offseason. No need to keep him with the Grant re-signing.

Reactions: MCB

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Taxi squads don’t count against the cap. You can leave a guy on the taxi squad until they’re needed with no cap implications.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Taxi squads don’t count against the cap. You can leave a guy on the taxi squad until they’re needed with no cap implications.
But they still need to fit under the cap when used I imagine. My guess is that BM wont use most of his LTIR space so he doesn't have to put anyone on LTIR just to use a taxi player.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
You can save almost that much, with no future ramifications, just by putting him on the taxi squad. He's a prime candidate for that IMO.
Realistically it would only save about 500k to 700k as you would still have to replace his roster spot. Im guessing they expect more out of him then most of us.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
But they still need to fit under the cap when used I imagine. My guess is that BM wont use most of his LTIR space so he doesn't have to put anyone on LTIR just to use a taxi player.

You’re right they do count against the cap when they’re used but you can send them back and forth as you please and save on cap space by sending them back on non game days.

And I definitely think Murray will use LTIR if he has to. Kesler is a given to go on LTIR and if we have any other injuries that will exceed the three weeks they will go on too if we need the cap space at the time.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
You’re right they do count against the cap when they’re used but you can send them back and forth as you please and save on cap space by sending them back on non game days.

And I definitely think Murray will use LTIR if he has to. Kesler is a given to go on LTIR and if we have any other injuries that will exceed the three weeks they will go on too if we need the cap space at the time.
He will use it as he doesn't have any choice right now. I guess I'm just scared he wont utilize it all. I no d of expect him to get to 23 man roster by signing a goalie and they rest of the cap which I think is between 5 and 6 mill will just sit there to use for short term injuries.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Oh yeah I do think Millers coming back but I wonder if they want a third guy. Two guys that young as the tandem in the AHL might not be ideal and Eriksson-Ek isn't even lighting up the ECHL, although its tough to tell. Could definitely be that simple, though.

In the few games I saw of him in ECHL, he was less than impressive.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Wish we would've bought Backes out, would've saved us $1.5 million to use this offseason. No need to keep him with the Grant re-signing.

I agree. He didn’t bring anything during his tryout last season. He used to be a beast... he is definitely broken now. He’s so slow and has no endurance to play his physical game or contribute offensively. The 1st round pick we received was not enough to take his contract.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
A Backes buyout would have only saved $750K in actual cash which is what ownership cares about. Given we weren’t going to need that cap space this season there was very little point in the buyout.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Realistically it would only save about 500k to 700k as you would still have to replace his roster spot. Im guessing they expect more out of him then most of us.

Well you'd have to replace him if you bought him out, too. I think he's a prime candidate for it because of the cap savings. If he's likely to be a spare anyway might as well save some space while you do it.

Thats why I really don't think its worth his time to even show up, but again, he might have different priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad