Proposal: Anaheim Ducks - New Jersey Devils

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
As I have said earlier. 5th in GP means nothing when you are 88h in GAA and 68th in SV%. He has been given many opportunities to be a full time goalie and play lots. But when he has been DTD so often that also means he isn’t reliable all the time. Look at the top ten goalies in GP the last five years. Then look at their injuries over that period of time. 2-3. Gibson…..22. And many of those goalies also had heavy playoff loads on their body. Gibson hasn’t played in the playoffs in 6 years. I don’t care if he has the most GP, when you are injury prone and your team is looking for a win and you have a lower body injury for 1-3 games regularly you aren’t reliable.
you keep bringing up DTD like it means more than how many games he actually played. his GAA SV% does not matter in this context. we all know his overall stats aren't great, team in front has been awful, that discussion has been beaten to death. and im not sure where you're getting your information, but according to John Gibson Injury Updates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps he was marked DTD 5 times since Feb 2021. even when listed dtd, he cleared to play not long after. it's fine to not want him, i don't really expect him to ever be traded, but continuing to bring up him being injury prone when it's just flat out wrong is my issue.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
It’s not a lie that he misses lots of games. He’s been in my keeper league since he came into the league and has let me down more than any other player. That’s guy is DTD regularly.
I also never said he was awful. He just isn’t the goalie he was five years ago. And the only reason people are offering scraps is that he isn’t the goalie he was that long ago and it isn’t really worth elite assets to essentially upgrade a little. He may be worth more to Anaheim.
Funny, because if you look at the most games started over the past 2,3,4,or 5 years, he’s amongst the leaders. Hard to do that if you’re always injured.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Seeing as now Holtz is the new untouchable super prospect that Devils fans won’t move, probably easy to pry Mercer away now that he’s regressed from last season.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I'm sure it is different with each organization, but he is constantly listed as DTD. I have had him in my keeper pool and has been unrealiable as a starter for missing too many games here and there. I see that he is missing many games to minor injuries. The same would apply to a team contending for a Stanley cup. Especially when the schedule is much harder come playoff time.
How do you explain him being in the top of games played for goalies if he misses so many, as you claim? Being dtd for a goalie doesn’t mean he’s missing games. Goalies don’t play 82 games a season.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Seeing as now Holtz is the new untouchable super prospect that Devils fans won’t move, probably easy to pry Mercer away now that he’s regressed from last season.
Not happening....Nothing wrong with us wanting to keep our players when the window is just opening....Mercer is a complete 200 foot player with a hockey iq off the charts...We don't know if Holtz was on the table for Meier trade but if he was you guys messed up not taking him ....His game is steadily improving....

Reactions: My3Sons

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Funny, because if you look at the most games started over the past 2,3,4,or 5 years, he’s amongst the leaders. Hard to do that if you’re always injured.
always injured doesn't mean constantly injured. Like people continue to ignore. Look at his injuries in the past compared to the other top 10 goalies. You can still play a lot of games but miss a lot of random 1-2 game stretches. that isnt' reliable as I want. Especailly consiering he hasn't even attempted to play every other day in the playoffs in the last 6 years.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
you keep bringing up DTD like it means more than how many games he actually played. his GAA SV% does not matter in this context. we all know his overall stats aren't great, team in front has been awful, that discussion has been beaten to death. and im not sure where you're getting your information, but according to John Gibson Injury Updates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps he was marked DTD 5 times since Feb 2021. even when listed dtd, he cleared to play not long after. it's fine to not want him, i don't really expect him to ever be traded, but continuing to bring up him being injury prone when it's just flat out wrong is my issue.
saying him being 88th in GAA and 68th in SV% does not matter is laughable. and I never said DTD means more. Nowhere did I say that. I said that many times Gibson is listed DTD due to injuries even if they are minor. IF you have a number 1 goalie, you don't want one who does that often.
How do you explain him being in the top of games played for goalies if he misses so many, as you claim? Being dtd for a goalie doesn’t mean he’s missing games. Goalies don’t play 82 games a season.
becasue he cleaerly misses a lot of 1-2 game stretches and even though you have a backup goalie to play on your behalf, the whole point of having a number 1 goalie is to play him against the top teams. And yes he has been in the top for games played. I never denied that. i am telling you that his injury history is an issue especially when he hasn't even played in the playoffs with a heavy workload.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
saying him being 88th in GAA and 68th in SV% does not matter is laughable.

becasue he cleaerly misses a lot of 1-2 game stretches and even though you have a backup goalie to play on your behalf, the whole point of having a number 1 goalie is to play him against the top teams. And yes he has been in the top for games played. I never denied that. i am telling you that his injury history is an issue especially when he hasn't even played in the playoffs with a heavy workload.
maybe try reading the whole sentence next time? his stats don't matter in the context of the conversation, being that he isn't as injury prone or misses large amounts of games like you keep implying. so by your logic, any goalie that has played less games over past 5 years are actually more injury prone because they are also missing a lot of 1-2 game stretches? how can you keep arguing that a player with one of the higher amount of games played is somehow also not playing that many games. you're just ignoring literal stats because you see him listed DTD on your fantasy league occasionally lol

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
maybe try reading the whole sentence next time? his stats don't matter in the context of the conversation, being that he isn't as injury prone or misses large amounts of games like you keep implying. so by your logic, any goalie that has played less games over past 5 years are actually more injury prone because they are also missing a lot of 1-2 game stretches? how can you keep arguing that a player with one of the higher amount of games played is somehow also not playing that many games. you're just ignoring literal stats because you see him listed DTD on your fantasy league occasionally lol
1. He is injury prone. You can deny it until the cows come home. I gave you a site that shows where he had 22 injuries in his career. Look at the other top goalies. They aren't anywhere near that.
2. I never once said he misses large amounts of games. You are saying I did. I am saying he is injury prone and misses 1-3 days occasionally. missing a lot of 1-2 game stretches unlike other goalies would literalyl mean he is injury prone.
3. I don't really follow many goalies and how injured they are. I don't realyl care, but when I see it regualry in my hockey pool, I noticed those things and have treid to trade him numerous times and the reason is he isn't reliable.

1.October 27-29. Stalock is recalled. Gibson was out.

2.October 30. Gibson gets injured in game agasint Pittsburgh. Dostal played three games in a row.

3.Dec 15th. Stalock recalled again and Dostal plays 3 games in a row, due to an illness and birth of his child.

4.Jan 2nd Stalock recalled

5. listed as day to day a week and a bit ago after leaving the Caolina game and Dostal played two in a row.

Thats five "THIS YEAR". I dont' see too many other goalies doing that regularly. And you can laugh about my fantasy league all you want. that is the exact reason why I know he isn't reliable as you put him in to get you wins and he is constatnly listed as DTD. Thos ethings are noticed.

This has been par for the course for the last few years. You can think what you want.

i'm not gonig to keep going back and forth. I have zero interest in giving up anything that is signifigant for a goalie that is often DTD and we don't even know if he can handle the workload in the playoffs where you play every other game and not every game is only 60 minutes.

and his stats may not matter when it comes to debating him being injury prone, but they matter. lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad