Proposal: Anaheim/Calgary

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Does Getz still carry 1st ++ value? He is 33, is owed $8.25 for the next 2 seasons and just came off his least productive seasons (point wise) since 2005-6. If the flames can justify a $8+ contract I would think they would be after a free agent that could grow with the younger core of the team.

Yes, franchise centers are hard to find. I wouldn’t read too much into his 18-19 stats, the whole team was a mess.

Last edited:

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I can't see any offer that a team would make, which would make sense for Anaheim to move Getzlaf. Unless he changes his mind and asks to leave, he should retire a Duck and I wouldn't be surprised if after this contract, he continues taking one-year deals at a time (a la Thornton).

Ducks should climb back into playoffs next year (I'm pretty confident) but to do that they need their #1C and Captain.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Terrible offer. We’re not giving the Flames Getz.

Dude is going to be 34 in a few days and cant stay healthy...that's going to be as good as you are going to get for him. 1st+a decent prospect and a useful player that can turn into another pick later.

Reactions: 405Exit

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Dude is going to be 34 in a few days and cant stay healthy...that's going to be as good as you are going to get for him. 1st+a decent prospect and a useful player that can turn into another pick later.
or we just keep our franchise player who still put up 48 points in 67 games on a team that had awful offensive all around. we're not looking to move him anyways. flame fans tarted this thread, not a Ducks fan.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
How does trading Getzlaf for a decent prospect and a first likely at the end of the first round accelerate the retool? If anything it pushes Anaheim into the cellar as it means Henrique is Anaheim's only established offensive center. Now if someone was going to give Anaheim a top 5 pick or something ridiculous then I can see how that would help - but a package like this certainly doesn't do an awful lot for Anaheim.

Not to mention, on the off chance Getzlaf does want to waive his NMC (which is highly unlikely) - I don't see him waiving it for a team like Calgary, rather it would be for a team that is going to be a top contender for the next 2 years which is not Calgary IMO.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Not that moving Getz would happen, but if it were to happen it would probably happen in a scenario where the Ducks have a bad year and dont look like they will make the playoffs and move him at the tdl. Getzlaf could keep his family in the oc and play just a little over a seasons worth of hockey for a team like Calgary. And by that point, moving Getz would be a major boost in the retool because Getz is aging and to get a high end prospect and a first would be two very significant pieces.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Not that moving Getz would happen, but if it were to happen it would probably happen in a scenario where the Ducks have a bad year and dont look like they will make the playoffs and move him at the tdl. Getzlaf could keep his family in the oc and play just a little over a seasons worth of hockey for a team like Calgary. And by that point, moving Getz would be a major boost in the retool because Getz is aging and to get a high end prospect and a first would be two very significant pieces.
What high end prospect do you plan on getting for Getz? I love Getz, but he'll be 34 next season, no-one is giving up high level assets for a 34 year old Getz. And a late 1st isn't all that significant in terms of boosting the the retool (especially if we assume that 1st round pick is 3-4 years away from being a regular NHL player), by the time that 1st rounder is in the NHL we've either already gotten better as a team - or have descended into the cellar.

Personally I keep Getz until his contract is up unless he specifically asks to be traded.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Soon to be 34 coming off a poor season and has injury concerns and lots of mileage on his body with an 8.6 cap hit and he's here being called a franchise player. Delusional

Look at his draft class. The entire group of star players have been falling off a cliff. Getzlaf is next.

Reactions: 405Exit

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
What high end prospect do you plan on getting for Getz? I love Getz, but he'll be 34 next season, no-one is giving up high level assets for a 34 year old Getz. And a late 1st isn't all that significant in terms of boosting the the retool (especially if we assume that 1st round pick is 3-4 years away from being a regular NHL player), by the time that 1st rounder is in the NHL we've either already gotten better as a team - or have descended into the cellar.

Personally I keep Getz until his contract is up unless he specifically asks to be traded.
Someone mentioned Anderssen alongside a cap dump.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Not to mention, on the off chance Getzlaf does want to waive his NMC (which is highly unlikely) - I don't see him waiving it for a team like Calgary, rather it would be for a team that is going to be a top contender for the next 2 years which is not Calgary IMO.

I agree that Getzlaf probably wants to stay a Duck, but how are the Flames with Getzlaf not a top contender? If he's healthy he's basically exactly what the Flames need.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Which is dumb. If we’re trading Getz, we should not be taking a cap dump back.
I dont know much about Anderssen but I would gladly take a cap dump if we are getting a potential future 1d as others are claiming he could be. I have no idea if that is true but if we are out of the playoffs and we can flip Getzlaf for a 1st and a 1d and he is actually willing to go then I am listening. the fact that Anderssen would be on an elc during that time frame makes that horrible contract much less horrible.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I dont know much about Anderssen but I would gladly take a cap dump if we are getting a potential future 1d as others are claiming he could be. I have no idea if that is true but if we are out of the playoffs and we can flip Getzlaf for a 1st and a 1d and he is actually willing to go then I am listening. the fact that Anderssen would be on an elc during that time frame makes that horrible contract much less horrible.
He’s a 22 year old D with 19 points in 79 games this season. I’m not sure how Flames think he’ll be a #1D. He might be a good player now, but not someone I would trade Getz for along with taking an awful contract back.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

By all accounts Andersson was not made available for Stone at the deadline, So I can't imagine the conversations being very fruitful for a 34 year old Getzlaf, especially after what Rasmus had shown management in the playoffs.

Andersson likely starts on the top pairing next to Giordano next year.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He’s a 22 year old D with 19 points in 79 games this season. I’m not sure how Flames think he’ll be a #1D. He might be a good player now, but not someone I would trade Getz for along with taking an awful contract back.

Lindholm had 20 points as a 22 year old to put things into perspective... It was also Andersson's rookie season where he spent the majority of the year on the third pairing and off the specialty teams. He worked his way onto the top pairing in the playoffs and had 3 points in 5 games.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
We need Getz to mentor Steel and Lundestrom and any young centres we draft this year. This trade also makes Henrique our 1C which is not good.

Still doesn’t solve anything. This trade solves ducks rebuild issues. That’s 3 first round picks this season. Next season is going to Be a repeat of its self. Having Getzlaf to mentor the young kids for 2 years doesn’t equate of an extra first round pick and Kylington/Neal and whomever.

The Duo are only getting older, and the team is only getting slower on the top 2 lines.

Ducks consider this offer. We also dump 8 million + off the books for a possible free agent this season.

Ducks deeply consider this.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Exactly. Not only that? Ducks drop off 8.25 million of cap. Atleast one person in this thread is logical and seeing outside the lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad