Keenan87

Nov 10, 2008
To Anaheim:
Michael Frolik
Oliver Kylington
1st Round 2019

To Calgary:
Ryan Getzlaf

Getzlaf will really help the Flames (with only 2 years left) and gets to play for a team who should make the playoffs next season. Anaheim gets a serviceable forward with only one more year left on his contract, a solid prospect who played NHL games this season, and a first round pick to help with the re-tool.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Not a big Kylington fan and we have more depth on the left side than the right. How about changing Frolik and Kylington to Neal and Andersson?

Keenan87

Nov 10, 2008
Yikes. Thats not good for the Ducks
Why would Getz want to leave the OC for Calgary?

Because he may not want to finish his career with a team if they decide to rebuild?

He also played minor hockey in Calgary and is a legend for the Calgary Hitmen. He was also born in Regina and probably has a lot of family and friends around Calgary.

Reactions: DarthProbert

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Yikes. Thats not good for the Ducks
Why would Getz want to leave the OC for Calgary?

He almost assuredly won't want to leave at all, but I think if there is one team he would waive for it would be Calgary. That said, he has already acknowledged he knows the Ducks are in a youth movement and that he wants to stick it out.

Reactions: wraparound

Keenan87

Nov 10, 2008
Not a big Kylington fan and we have more depth on the left side than the right. How about changing Frolik and Kylington to Neal and Andersson?

I like the fact that you added Neal but I also hate the fact that you added Andersson. I truly believe he will be the Flames #1 d-man by end of next year, especially if Giordano takes a step back.

That being said, Neal is very difficult to move and complete cap dump. This is not a deal that I want to make but probably fair if a neutral fan looks at it.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
We need Getz to mentor Steel and Lundestrom and any young centres we draft this year. This trade also makes Henrique our 1C which is not good.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Because he may not want to finish his career with a team if they decide to rebuild?

He also played minor hockey in Calgary and is a legend for the Calgary Hitmen. He was also born in Regina and probably has a lot of family and friends around Calgary.
Does he spend his offseasons back home?
Has he ever given any inclination he'd like to f nish his career there?

Keenan87

Nov 10, 2008
Does he spend his offseasons back home?
Has he ever given any inclination he'd like to finish his career there?

I am not sure but I provided you with my reasoning on why he may consider Calgary and another poster also stated that Calgary is potentially one team he may waive for.

Are you his mom? Unless he told you that he will stay in OC and never move no matter what (while you were tucking him into bed), you know as much as I do.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Why would you suggest we take back a cap dump for Getz...

The main reason would be to get Andersson who I think is going to be a top pair dman. I don't think the Flames would give him up otherwise. Getz is clearly not going anywhere because he doesn't want to, but I think a deal like this would put the franchise in a better position 3 or 4 years down the line when we'll be closer to contention. The plan with Neal would be to ride out a couple bad years and then either buy out the final 2 or maybe there will be another amnesty buyout in the new CBA.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Keenan87

Nov 10, 2008
I am sorry but a bunch of you guys remind me of the Calgary Flames fans when there were talks about Iginla being traded. Most people didn't want it because Iginla was supposed to "forever be a Flames" etc. Then the trade happened and we got crap for him.

In all honesty, unless the Ducks are ready to make the playoffs again next season (I am not sure what Ducks fans are thinking), why not sell high on him? I understand if my offer is not even close but why not make a good business decision and sell an asset that can really help boost your re-tool?

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I am not sure but I provided you with my reasoning on why he may consider Calgary and another poster also stated that Calgary is potentially one team he may waive for.

Are you his mom? Unless he told you that he will stay in OC and never move no matter what (while you were tucking him into bed), you know as much as I do.
WTF?
What are you 12?

Reactions: Mallard and Spazkat

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Hey bud, if you are going to be condescending with your posts.. others can be too :) Have an awesome day!
Hardly that
I was looking to see if there's possible more than him just hailing from the region. Gauging how deep a connection he's kept.
Although I wasn't aware of were he came from
And it's hard to argue geography

Reactions: Keenan87

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I am sorry but a bunch of you guys remind me of the Calgary Flames fans when there were talks about Iginla being traded. Most people didn't want it because Iginla was supposed to "forever be a Flames" etc. Then the trade happened and we got crap for him.

In all honesty, unless the Ducks are ready to make the playoffs again next season (I am not sure what Ducks fans are thinking), why not sell high on him? I understand if my offer is not even close but why not make a good business decision and sell an asset that can really help boost your re-tool?

I really don't think moving Getzlaf helps "boost the retool" though. Not likely to get any sort of surefire core piece in return given his NMC, age and salary. If he asks for a trade at some point that's a different story, but from all accounts he's quiet settled in raising a family with a local girl. He's currently the team's best forward and they don't plan to tank - I really don't see it happening.

I also don't buy the notion that the Ducks should already give up on making the playoffs next year. Look how much better they performed just by replacing Carlyle with a guy who had zero coaching experience.

Proper coaching along with bounce back performances from guys like Lindholm, Rakell and Manson, and contributions from the young players who were showing positive signs towards the end of the year (Steel, Terry, Jones etc) - it's easily a group that can push for a playoff spot again next year, especially with an elite goalie behind them.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I do this as a Flames fan.

I really doubt Getzlaf would agree to leave Anaheim. I also expect Getzlaf at this point fetches more.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Does Getz still carry 1st ++ value? He is 33, is owed $8.25 for the next 2 seasons and just came off his least productive seasons (point wise) since 2005-6. If the flames can justify a $8+ contract I would think they would be after a free agent that could grow with the younger core of the team.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
The main reason would be to get Andersson who I think is going to be a top pair dman. I don't think the Flames would give him up otherwise. Getz is clearly not going anywhere because he doesn't want to, but I think a deal like this would put the franchise in a better position 3 or 4 years down the line when we'll be closer to contention. The plan with Neal would be to ride out a couple bad years and then either buy out the final 2 or maybe there will be another amnesty buyout in the new CBA.
But we’re giving up Getz for a guy with only potential. We don’t need to be giving up our best forward and franchise player for a potential guy and a huge cap dump that we just have to deal with when we’re already having to deal with Perry and Kesler’s contract. Giving up Getz for that return would be horrendous for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad