Confirmed Trade: [ANA/VAN] Michael Del Zotto (25% retained) for Luke Schenn and a 2020 7th round pick

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I remember when the 19 year old "Human Eraser" was being labelled as the best shutdown defensemen since Adam Foote by scouts. I still don't really know what happened there. Some people say that our development staff decided that he needed to put on weight, which in turn affected his already mediocre skating. Others think he just came along at a time when the pace of the game was evolving and players like him just weren't as effective as they were in the 90's. Either way, It makes me a little sad to see someone who was heralded as a future captain falling so far from grace. It wasn't long ago I thought he had the chance to rebound and become an effective part of any teams second pairing but at 29 years of age that opportunity is probably long gone.

I don't really see this as a significant move for either team but it is interesting that Luke is being projected as playing for Utica(is this substantiated or just a prediction?) I thought that the Canucks would at least try him out.

After the Fab Four and #15, it was a pathetic draft.
The lone draft where Fletcher was probably right.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I mean Del Zotto hasn’t had a bad career all things considered. He never became that consistent 40-point defenseman but he’s been a top-4 guy for the better part of the decade.

Yeah, not terrible. But at one point he was the rumored centerpiece for Stamkos though, he had some lofty expectations.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Schenn is being brought in to add beef. Green probably engineered this. Canucks want to play in the post season. [MOD] Adding toughness around him makes sense when you consider how soft the Canucks have been. Green will expect policing from Schenn, even if it is not the player's strong point. Gudbranson is the example I cite.

Hilariously, Don Cherry can reasonably claim credit for observing Petterson is unprotected, compared to the thorough security Edmonton provided Gretzky in an ancient era.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
So he's entertaining going both directions on the ice? And he'll cost the team games to help with that draft pick? Great trade for the Ducks.

Nothing amazing about his offensive game. I wouldn't say 'entertaining' is the word, but he can score the odd goal here & there, yeah.

He'll help with the draft pick for sure, you got that part right. Tank commander MDZ at your service.

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Nothing amazing about his offensive game. I wouldn't say 'entertaining' is the word, but he can score the odd goal here & there, yeah.

He'll help with the draft pick for sure, you got that part right. Tank commander MDZ at your service.

This is a Carlyle run team... the bar for entertaining is low. Can he get a shot on goal? That's often a massive step up this season...

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I really think this is what they are doing. Schenn will get some games in on the comets but probably only for conditioning. Canucks have a skating coach they use, don't they? I think they'll try to get Schenn up to speed. If they think he can keep up, I think he'll be in Vancouver before the trade deadline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Its kind of neat following these player trades in a time when trades are scarce.

Schenn, great first year, franchise stay at home defenseman. Future captain. GM takes him overseas to visit troops.

Then he starts an immediate decline. Dealt off for JVR. JVR considered to be injury prone and soft at time so the trade was considered two recent top five picks with question marks dealt for one another.

JVR plays well for the Leafs for years; then returns to the Flyers via free agency.

Schenn becomes journeyman AHL'er.

Would complete the circle if he came back to Toronto.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Ah yes, I bet 7 minute a night slow and crappy defenceman Luke Schenn will stop teams from bodychecking Pettersson.
I look at the Canucks and I still see a soft team around a fragile kid. Schenn isn't even a tough guy but he hits. I don't expect him to fight. Canucks with Schenn can field three defensive pairings that have a heavyweight that hits. That means one of them is on the ice at all times. Opponents will still run Petterson but they will draw penalties and risk retaliation.

Canucks may bring up young Hughes. He can run the powerplay and will bolster the offence. He's five ten and one hundred and seventy pounds, though. He and Petterson will need bodyguards in the playoffs. If Schenn can function as an on ice deterrent Petterson and Hughes will get space to drive the offense. That's the theory, I think.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The penalties thing makes sense to me, but again I'm not seeing where the atrocious defensively thing is coming from. Canucks are better defensively when he's out there by a solid margin.
Because advanced stats are a tool, but they do not replace watching the game through trained eyes.

Del Zotto may be serviceable as the 7th dman for the Ducks, or may even find the right D-partner and be okay on the bottom pairing. But he has been atrocious for the Canucks. Constantly overmatched, not great hockey sense. His heart is in the right place, but he basically sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad