Confirmed with Link: ANA trades Carl Hagelin to PIT for David Perron and Adam Clendening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Well, look. If Hags comes here and doesn't score, we've at least now got a guy that doesn't murder us on every shift. He actually helps when he's not scoring. Considerably. Good PK guy, real solid two way game, and actually averages more goals and more assists 5 on 5 than Perron over their careers. And that's comparing a solid 2 way forward with a forward who might have the worst defensive game of anyone who's been through here since Roman Oksiuta.

And as far as the contract, if Hagelin busts, understand that we were screwed in a few short years anyway, due to drafting and the trading of draft picks.

My first choice is to see him on the left side with 87, but there's also, in my mind, a decent chance he clicks with Eric Fehr.

So basically the Dupuis replacement.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'm surprised so many people are down on this deal. Perron was absolutely useless here and a terrible fit. He looked lost every time he was on the ice.

I'm excited about Hagelin on the Pens. Speed kills. You need it in today's game. He's a killer PK guy. He's a true LW which Perron wasn't.

We gained an asset that will be around for a few years when Perron would likely be gone at the end of the season. You guys act like if Hagelin sucks we can't move him. Plus Kunitz will be off the books eventually.

This is a win win to me. We are getting there. Still need another LW and Defenseman.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Some details about Hagelin:
-Extremely fast without the puck
-good PKer
-absolutely terrible hands and shot
-doesn't hit much if at all

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I can't help but believe Hagelin will be on Crosby's line. Sullivan preaches speed so much and it just makes sense.

I bet, for now, we see the following:

Hagelin - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Kessel
Kuhnhackl - Fehr - Rust
Porter - Cullen - Plotnikov

And I would love for the Pens to eventually flip Hornqvist and Kessel. When Bonino and Bennett return, you could do this:

Hagelin - Crosby - Kessel
Bennett - Malkin - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Bonino - Fehr
Kuhnhackl - Cullen - Rust

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think straight up Perron playing at his peak is a more valuable talent, but he is slumping, and while Hagelin is too, Hagelin is faster and speed is an asset when all else fails (see Dupuis, Pascal for the textbook example)

Moreover, if this works out, Hagelin is under control for next year, If it doesn't, speed is always moveable. While Perron is a UFA and will not helpful beyond this year... if they really wanted to sign him, they could always get him back at market price, and he was never signing a discount deal here

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I'm surprised so many people are down on this deal. Perron was absolutely useless here and a terrible fit. He looked lost every time he was on the ice.

I'm excited about Hagelin on the Pens. Speed kills. You need it in today's game. He's a killer PK guy. He's a true LW which Perron wasn't.

We gained an asset that will be around for a few years when Perron would likely be gone at the end of the season. You guys act like if Hagelin sucks we can't move him. Plus Kunitz will be off the books eventually.

This is a win win to me. We are getting there. Still need another LW and Defenseman.
I'm excited that Perron is gone. He was awful. I couldn't care less that Clendening is gone. He will never be an impact player in the NHL. But I'm also not going to celebrate a $4M 3LW.

pengwins1587

Feb 24, 2014
Pretty surprised everyone thinks this is such a bad trade. Everyone pleads for a top 6 lw with speed and that's what hagelin is. Boedkers name comes up here a lot and personally I think he's capable of being a poor mans boedker, never mind the fact boed with end up making 1.5-2 mill more a year then hagelin after this season.

I'm going on record as liking the trade a lot. Perron was garbage who was going to walk or get overpaid to stay, personally I liked clendening but he was never going to play so oh well. Hagelin might be able to skate 2 laps around the rink before Perron can do 1, if sully is a hags fan and bumps Kunitz from that top line it's going to be fun to watch.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I can't help but believe Hagelin will be on Crosby's line. Sullivan preaches speed so much and it just makes sense.

I bet, for now, we see the following:

Hagelin - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Kessel
Kuhnhackl - Fehr - Rust
Porter - Cullen - Plotnikov.

Kunitz is never leaving sid's side. ever.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It means we were at the very least shedding Person's cap at the end of the season and at the most we send him to a contender at the deadline for an overpayment in picks.

Now not only are we still not a payoff team, we don't get cap relief or any sort of future help.

I just feel like there is a total disconnect from reality when they make these moves.

I don't think you'd see a team give you much in return for Perron without wanting to send some salary back, especially if his lackluster play continued until the deadline.

Just losing him for nothing after trading a first for him wouldn't be acceptable either.

As it stands now, they got a useful, versatile player that's still relatively young in return. It might not work out, but Perron already wasn't working out.

Hagelin is someone that can contribute in a variety of ways, even if they scrap things and try a mini rebuild, he'll still be a good piece to have around.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'm excited that Perron is gone. He was awful. I couldn't care less that Clendening is gone. He will never be an impact player in the NHL. But I'm also not going to celebrate a $4M 3LW.

Perron was an almost $4m Right Wing being forced to play the off wing on the left side on our 3rd line much of the season. It's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

Perron looked awful out there.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
JR! WTF????? 4 million for 3 more years for a 3rd liner???? :help: rather ride out perron and get better value in FA. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

I'm with you on this. Its a gamble with an asset that wasn't working at what its value was and was about to be lost for nothing for an asset that doesn't cost more and has tangible benefits even when not scoring.... I wanted a Pascal Dupuis on the third line... I know Hagelin will never be that physical, but he brings some of the counterattack and forecheck opportunities pascal did... Its unfortunate their hands are the same though... lol

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Perron was an almost $4m Right Wing being forced to play the off wing on the left side on our 3rd line much of the season. It's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

Perron looked awful out there.

The bolded is nearly identical to what I said. If Hagelin made $2M less than he does, I'd consider this a win for the Pens. But he doesn't, so I don't.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Hagelin has no hands.He's a good third liner,but JR probably thinks he's the solution for the top six.

I'll trade Perron's silky mitts for Hagelin's speed any day.

If anything I think JR realizes he needed to get some LWers here. We have like 10 RWers and C's we are forcing to play the left side and we aren't getting any production there because people are playing out of their normal positions.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dupuis retires, so the Pens go out and acquire someone who is as close to what Dupuis was as there is in the league. :laugh:

I hope this is just a first move among many, and not Rutherford's solution for bringing in a top six guy.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Welp, make due with what we got. When healthy, if ever.

Hagelin-sid-kessel
BB-geno-horny
Bones-fehr-plotnikov
Rust-cullen-kunitz

Or

Kessel-sid-horny
Hagelin-geno-BB
Plotnikov-bones-fehr
Rust-cullen-kunitz

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Dupuis retires, so the Pens go out and acquire someone who is as close to what Dupuis was as there is in the league. :laugh:

I hope this is just a first move among many, and not Rutherford's solution for bringing in a top six guy.

Hagelin is younger... Duper had sadly lost a step before his clot issues... Still I hope that the only way he is playing with sid is if sid is double shifted onto the 3rd line

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Welp, make due with what we got. When healthy, if ever.

Hagelin-sid-kessel
BB-geno-horny
Bones-fehr-plotnikov
Rust-cullen-kunitz

Or

Kessel-sid-horny
Hagelin-geno-BB
Plotnikov-bones-fehr
Rust-cullen-kunitz

Kessel isn't a left wing and Kunitz will never play the fourth line. Try to be a little realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad