Confirmed with Link: ANA trades Carl Hagelin to PIT for David Perron and Adam Clendening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If Peron was signed 2 years more, I'd be disappointed we quit on him. As it is, I can see half a year left of him in a potential non playoff year not being worth holding on too

Oct 18, 2011
FWIW Hagelin started terribly with the ducks but over the last few weeks seemed to be playing alot better, so I am a little surprised to see him go but I think that the ducks realized his contract was just tying other things up to much(we have to sign vatanen, rakell, and lindholm this summer)

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Shows JR doesnt care what e leaves behind. If Hagelin were UFA just like Perron it would be a good move but Hagelin is signed long term for 4m. Ofc, JR wont be here by then, so he doesnt care.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Shows JR doesnt care what e leaves behind. If Hagelin were UFA just like Perron it would be a good move but Hagelin is signed long term for 4m. Ofc, JR wont be here by then, so he doesnt care.
It's a risk but if speedy Hagelin fits, org will make his cap hit work & it could potentially be a good legacy from JR.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm not high on Hagelin and I don't trust this team to stop the standard crap. JR was up late, though... Or they waited for him to fall asleep.

Oh great, a Sullivan connection because that's been working out so well.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Well, look. If Hags comes here and doesn't score, we've at least now got a guy that doesn't murder us on every shift. He actually helps when he's not scoring. Considerably. Good PK guy, real solid two way game, and actually averages more goals and more assists 5 on 5 than Perron over their careers. And that's comparing a solid 2 way forward with a forward who might have the worst defensive game of anyone who's been through here since Roman Oksiuta.

And as far as the contract, if Hagelin busts, understand that we were screwed in a few short years anyway, due to drafting and the trading of draft picks.

My first choice is to see him on the left side with 87, but there's also, in my mind, a decent chance he clicks with Eric Fehr.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Oh great, a Sullivan connection because that's been working out so well.
Are you talking about Sheary & Porter? The baby pens NHL experiments?

Minor league material. These guys will go down (one would hope) but Hagelin is a NHLer, he can only go down to the bottom 6 (one would hope he becomes a top 6 again like he was in N.Y.).

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Well, look. If Hags comes here and doesn't score, we've at least now got a guy that doesn't murder us on every shift. He actually helps when he's not scoring. Considerably. Good PK guy, real solid two way game, and actually averages more goals and more assists 5 on 5 than Perron over their careers. And that's comparing a solid 2 way forward with a forward who might have the worst defensive game of anyone who's been through here since Roman Oksiuta.

And as far as the contract, if Hagelin busts, understand that we were screwed in a few short years anyway, due to drafting and the trading of draft picks.

My first choice is to see him on the left side with 87, but there's also, in my mind, a decent chance he clicks with Eric Fehr.

For some reason everyone seems intent on overvaluing what Perron might've been as a Penguin vs. what he was. He could have been a relatively long-term top six solution scoring 20+ consistently. But that didn't happen and he's basically been a liability. For both his lack of a defensive game and the fact that him not fitting in anywhere really handicapped what combinations could be tried.

I don't get the contract carping. Even if Hagelin continues to struggle offensively, the rest of his skillset still holds value (albeit not a crazy amount). He shouldn't be an albatross, especially since he'll be barely over 30 by the time he's a UFA. If he's moved again it'll likely be another change-of-scenery type deal, but it's hardly an impossibility. Considering that Perron was a bust for the Pens and was all but certain to walk, that's really not bad asset management. Hagelin is also the kind of player who tends to get around $4 million as a UFA anyway. If he performs, the value is good. If he doesn't, he can be moved again.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

That's my thinking as well.

At least they got someone who can do other things if they aren't producing. Perron isn't a help if he isn't scoring goals, he's arguably a hindrance.

Clendening is what he is, he's nowhere near the disaster he was advertised as by Canucks fans, but he's nothing special either. Maybe he pots a goal or two for the Ducks before fading back into obscurity like Alex Grant.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
You know who has a near-identical cap hit, is respected around the league for his hockey IQ, and has put up decent numbers with Malkin?

Jussi Jokinen.

And JR let him walk. :laugh:

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
For some reason everyone seems intent on overvaluing what Perron might've been as a Penguin vs. what he was. He could have been a relatively long-term top six solution scoring 20+ consistently. But that didn't happen and he's basically been a liability. For both his lack of a defensive game and the fact that him not fitting in anywhere really handicapped what combinations could be tried.

I don't get the contract carping. Even if Hagelin continues to struggle offensively, the rest of his skillset still holds value (albeit not a crazy amount). He shouldn't be an albatross, especially since he'll be barely over 30 by the time he's a UFA. If he's moved again it'll likely be another change-of-scenery type deal, but it's hardly an impossibility. Considering that Perron was a bust for the Pens and was all but certain to walk, that's really not bad asset management. Hagelin is also the kind of player who tends to get around $4 million as a UFA anyway. If he performs, the value is good. If he doesn't, he can be moved again.

Hagelin has a modified ntc next season onwards, so that's probably a factor to consider as well

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
And trading Clendening ensures Cole stays in the lineup. Not that he was ever coming out, but still. Awesome!

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't understand what this means in the context of this trade.

It means we were at the very least shedding Person's cap at the end of the season and at the most we send him to a contender at the deadline for an overpayment in picks.

Now not only are we still not a payoff team, we don't get cap relief or any sort of future help.

I just feel like there is a total disconnect from reality when they make these moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad