Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PIT] Erik Gudbranson for Andreas Martinsen and 2021 7th round pick

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
while many of what you critics say is true, his size, experience, and physicality are desperately given our other options.

once healthy, I hope he could pair with lindholm or Fowler to be a competent 2nd pairing defenseman, but keep in mind our other options are

guehle
michael del zotto
holzer

May I interest you in a gently used Jack Johnson?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Gudbranson seems to have clicked well with Lindholm before Lindholm got injured.
When fully healthy they could do this:
Lindholm/Gudbranson
Mahura/Fowler
Guhle/Manson or Larsson/Manson

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What a surprise, both Ducks fans and Penguins fans ended up happy with the move, while neutral fans who insisted Gudbranson is a garbage can on skates were wrong. I'm absolutely shocked, I say!

Like I've said a bunch of times in here already, I think most Penguins fans were happy with what they got out of Gudbranson. He played a quiet and steady game for the Penguins, was pretty good analytically, threw a couple of big hits and was apparently good in the locker room. The biggest complaints about him that I had is that he's not a $4 million player and he didn't show the toughness/fighting he was supposed to show. I think he'll fit very well in Anaheim.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Penguins trade Gudbranson, they follow up with a 3-0 and 7-1. 10 goals for 1 against.

Everyone said him and JJ in the lineup together was a death sentence. One of them was just fine (JJ seemed to gel quickly w John Marino) but the Achilles heel was sticking both of them out there.

It could've just as easily been JJ traded (though probably for a worse return) and Gudbranson would've been the sole survivor and, probably, the Pens are still looking alot more solid.

Nice of you to do the math for us

Speaking of Math, aren't the Ducks 2-1 since the trade, after facing three of the better teams in the west? With 14 goals in three games?

The D still needs to tighten up, but clearly something has given over there and you guys are heading in the right direction.

Reactions: BillPrep

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Speaking of Math, aren't the Ducks 2-1 since the trade, after facing three of the better teams in the west? With 14 goals in three games?

The D still needs to tighten up, but clearly something has given over there and you guys are heading in the right direction.
We replaced Hampus Lindholm and Josh Manson with Gudbranson. Instant domination :)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What a surprise, both Ducks fans and Penguins fans ended up happy with the move, while neutral fans who insisted Gudbranson is a garbage can on skates were wrong. I'm absolutely shocked, I say!

Like I've said a bunch of times in here already, I think most Penguins fans were happy with what they got out of Gudbranson. He played a quiet and steady game for the Penguins, was pretty good analytically, threw a couple of big hits and was apparently good in the locker room. The biggest complaints about him that I had is that he's not a $4 million player and he didn't show the toughness/fighting he was supposed to show. I think he'll fit very well in Anaheim.

He also kept Wilson mostly in check when we faced the Caps. He was mostly quiet in those games IIRC, will change now.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Another Pens-Ducks trade that seems to work out fairly well for everyone. Gudbranson isn't total garbage -I can see him becoming at least somewhat useful for the Ducks - but he was totally redundant on the Pens roster, considering they already have an overpaid third pairing guy in Johnson, and one of them had to go.

Sprong-check back later. He's at defensive school in San Diego.

This has been the knock on Sprong for years, all the way back to when the Pens drafted him. He's capable of scoring goals an an NHL level, but every other part of his game is very underdeveloped. At this point I wonder whether he will ever get it together...which is a shame because he has the talent to be a great player.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
The pipeline is alive. Rowney and Grant combine for 3 goals. Gudbranson has helped a lot. Sprong-check back later. He's at defensive school in San Diego.

To say nothing of Pettersson coming in last year and being a stalwart (on ELC money) for the Pens, and of course, the great Hagelin/Perron swap of 2016 that helped kick start the revival of both teams.

I hope Sprong can round out his game, and comes back to find some of that early form he had for the Ducks. If he can put it together, add him to Kase, Comtois, Terry, Jones and Steel, and you guys have a tremendous looking stable of young forwards on the rise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deuce22

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Everyone said him and JJ in the lineup together was a death sentence. One of them was just fine (JJ seemed to gel quickly w John Marino) but the Achilles heel was sticking both of them out there.

It could've just as easily been JJ traded (though probably for a worse return) and Gudbranson would've been the sole survivor and, probably, the Pens are still looking alot more solid.

Meh.. Lindholm and Manson which is our top pairing and the guys that are in charge of not letting us get scored on, are both out with injuries... and so is guhle so were run pretty thin right now.... any points we pick up until they come back is a big win

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Meh.. Lindholm and Manson which is our top pairing and the guys that are in charge of not letting us get scored on, are both out with injuries... and so is guhle so were run pretty thin right now.... any points we pick up until they come back is a big win

Yeah, I noticed both Hampus and Guhle were out of last night's box score too. That's truly being decimated. And MDZ was suddenly your leader in ice time (no knock on him, he's a good, experienced hand to call upon for less than 1M). I'm sure you guys are going to get alot better when those three guys get back.

In the meantime, it might be a bit of a blessing in disguise if guys like Mahura and Larsson get to step up and show what they're made of. How have those two looked for you guys?

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, I noticed both Hampus and Guhle were out of last night's box score too. That's truly being decimated. And MDZ was suddenly your leader in ice time (no knock on him, he's a good, experienced hand to call upon for less than 1M). I'm sure you guys are going to get alot better when those three guys get back.

In the meantime, it might be a bit of a blessing in disguise if guys like Mahura and Larsson get to step up and show what they're made of. How have those two looked for you guys?

Larsson has been pretty steady on the 3rd pairing playing with MDZ/Holzer mostly... personally when we drafted him I thought hed bring more of a two way game.. but he seems more like a defensive guy... im impartial to him... but hes still young, im hoping he can show more as the season goes on. Ive had high hopes that he could become like a Lindholm lite tho.

Guhle seems like physically he has the tools to succeed but mentally he may fall short(the fan base is 50/50 on him), he is being put in situations to do well with Eakins as the coach(fowler also)… getting lot of offensive zone starts, and allowing both players to utilize their skating to avoid getting stuck in the dzone.

Mahura played his 1st game last night(this year, I think he played around 15 last year) and i missed it, but he had 3 assist... ive been pretty high on mahura since we drafted him... i felt like last year he struggled a bit(i think he had injury problems also)... but im hoping he can turn into a theodore/fowler type 2way dmen.

Ideally when healthy id like to see
Lindholm Manson
Guhle Fowler
Larsson/mahura and Guds/MDZ

Prob get rid of holzer...he is shit.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Larsson has been pretty steady on the 3rd pairing playing with MDZ/Holzer mostly... personally when we drafted him I thought hed bring more of a two way game.. but he seems more like a defensive guy... im impartial to him... but hes still young, im hoping he can show more as the season goes on. Ive had high hopes that he could become like a Lindholm lite tho.

Guhle seems like physically he has the tools to succeed but mentally he may fall short(the fan base is 50/50 on him), he is being put in situations to do well with Eakins as the coach(fowler also)… getting lot of offensive zone starts, and allowing both players to utilize their skating to avoid getting stuck in the dzone.

Mahura played his 1st game last night(this year, I think he played around 15 last year) and i missed it, but he had 3 assist... ive been pretty high on mahura since we drafted him... i felt like last year he struggled a bit(i think he had injury problems also)... but im hoping he can turn into a theodore/fowler type 2way dmen.

Ideally when healthy id like to see
Lindholm Manson
Guhle Fowler
Larsson/mahura and Guds/MDZ

Prob get rid of holzer...he is ****.
Holzer's only job should be to cook Sauerbraten for the team & thats it. Oh and cheer the guys up by saying arnold schwarzenegger lines in his german accent.
1920px-S%C3%A4chsischer_Sauerbraten.jpg

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

meh, he played third pairing for 20 games. We have years of data on him and JJ. They both suck. I dont like the narratives "Pens fans are happy with his play" or "JJ is playing well this year". They both suck.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Gudbranson is legitimately one of the worst players in the entire NHL, and that’s without even considering his cap hit.
Why do fans of teams other than the Penguins and Ducks feel the need to keep making these kinds of posts, especially to bump the thread? Right now both teams are very satisfied in the trade, maybe wait and see if Gudbranson actually starts playing awful with the Ducks?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I love Pittsburgh evaluation of players, from Depres to Grant to Rowney now Gudbs.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Give it 30 games or so ducks fans. He always starts out good with his new team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad