Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PIT] Erik Gudbranson for Andreas Martinsen and 2021 7th round pick

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
And he's corrected most of his mistakes and has 2 Cups to his name in Pittsburgh. Remind me, when is the last time the Flyers brought home the Cup? The Flyers have a history of incompetent GMs especially in recent history.
You're both right! The Flyers have incompetent GMs and Rutherford corrects his mistakes. It would be super if he didn't have to correct so many.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Conveniently ignoring that the Penguins won 2 Stanley Cups because of those trades, but hey, who cares about winning a cup when you can focus on #TradeValue

And now we can't contend for a cup because of the bad trades JR made. Whats your point? Moving Haeglin for Pearson was a completely unnecessary move to do and the fact that it divulged into Gudbranson and a 7th rounder is god awful. Yeah, we won two cups, but there's life after winning a Stanley Cup and right now our roster is a mess.... because of Rutherford.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And now we can't contend for a cup because of the bad trades JR made. Whats your point? Moving Haeglin for Pearson was a completely unnecessary move to do and the fact that it divulged into Gudbranson and a 7th rounder is god awful. Yeah, we won two cups, but there's life after winning a Stanley Cup and right now our roster is a mess.... because of Rutherford.

Lol okay whatever helps you sleep at night. There's no point in me arguing with a delusional person.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He had a good first game tonight, had several very big hits. Lindholm was also incredible, so maybe they have some instant chemistry going.

Pittsburgh fans hated rowney and Grant as well and we love them in Anaheim, could be just a style thing.

Guds play last season vs his play this season is I'd guess a style thing. We changed how we play a little and his partner (went from MP to JJ or Marino with one on their off side).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He had a good first game tonight, had several very big hits. Lindholm was also incredible, so maybe they have some instant chemistry going.

Pittsburgh fans hated rowney and Grant as well and we love them in Anaheim, could be just a style thing.

I think a majority of Penguins fans were at least fine with Gudbranson too, I think it was just Canucks fans or neutral fans saying how bad Gudbranson is. I think most Penguins fans thought Gudbranson was at least fine overall for the Penguins over his tenure here.

I honestly think people are just really dumb when it comes to him because of how bad he was in Vancouver. In the eyes of some people, it's impossible for him to play well because of how much of a tire fire he was with the Canucks. I guess it's easy to hate on him when he's making $4 million and not even worth that when he's playing well, though.

Reactions: Giskard

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He is better than most think. His skating and mobility has improved and he is not just a hammer on D. I would still like him on the Pens but he was moved as JJ is simply not portable right now. I do think GMJR will make a move or two down the road. Pens need cap space and have cap room in 2020 if the cap is 84 million. Keep in mind GMJR moved 4 million in 2020 as well.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
man how the mighty have fallen ! Gudbranson, #3 overall in 2010, is now worth a fringe NHLer and a 7th rounder! o_O

Reactions: Sam Steel

EpiPen

Jun 6, 2016
Incoming Lindholm turning him into a top pairing defensemen.

In all honesty, reading these comments reminds me of Despres, and he was an absolute stud for the Ducks before the concussion.

In all honesty, most Penguin fans were extremely high on Despres and were not impressed when he was traded. Our only knock on him was his injury problems.

Reactions: BHD

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Guds is one of those D that really needs a partner that compliments him well to succeed. He is like Shatty, cant hold a pairing himself even though they got paid to be.

Guds is one of those Dmen who needs his minutes and game sheltered and managed by the coach. Putting him out there against anything other than a 4th line is asking for trouble. He's probably the highest paid 7th Dman in the NHL.

Reactions: hellstick

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
In all honesty, reading these comments reminds me of Despres, and he was an absolute stud for the Ducks before the concussion.

The only thing that this deal has in common with the Despres deal is that the same teams are involved.

This is nothing like that. 90% of Pens fans were high on Despres and hated the deal. That was trading a young guy for a vet for a playoff run (which paid off in the long run for the Pens getting another Cup with Lovejoy).

This is getting rid of a cap dump vet that didn't work out. Nothing in common at all.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Incoming Lindholm turning him into a top pairing defensemen.

Pens fans didn't want to see Despres traded and were upset that the organization didn't seem to want to give him more of a chance. Not the same as Gudbranson.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
It resembles the original Lovejoy trade if anything. The only difference is that the Pens fan base seems split about the quality of Gudbranson's talents, whereas we were assured by some that even giving up a fifth round pick for Lovejoy was a fleecing.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Guds is one of those D that really needs a partner that compliments him well to succeed. He is like Shatty, cant hold a pairing himself even though they got paid to be.

4m isn't paying someone to hold down a pairing. That might have been true 4-5 years ago, but it's certainly not today.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
4m isn't paying someone to hold down a pairing. That might have been true 4-5 years ago, but it's certainly not today.

Too definitive by half, IMO.

If you are playing almost exclusively third pairing (and should be) while paid 4 million per, you are overpaid if you are not a genuine difference maker on that pairing. More so if you need a better hockey player to baby-sit you.

I rather liked Gud most the time on the Pens and have no ill-will towards him unlike Vancouver fans.
He did not in any way suck for us like he did them.
But he did have a bad start to this season, and as Marino emerged immediately as a better player for our system (and in general, I'd say) he had to be moved.

That Gud's salary is too high for what he brings made it a no-brainer, more so as doing so solved our immediate cap-conundrum.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Winning moves the needle for Pens fans. Big hits are what the other side of the state cheer for (the one that needs a rage room in the arena).

He will probably be quite serviceable in the Western Conference. The Pens just like to move too quickly for Guds to have ever really worked here.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Winning moves the needle for Pens fans. Big hits are what the other side of the state cheer for (the one that needs a rage room in the arena).

He will probably be quite serviceable in the Western Conference. The Pens just like to move too quickly for Guds to have ever really worked here.
Strange response.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
while many of what you critics say is true, his size, experience, and physicality are desperately given our other options.

once healthy, I hope he could pair with lindholm or Fowler to be a competent 2nd pairing defenseman, but keep in mind our other options are

guehle
michael del zotto
holzer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad