Confirmed with Link: [ANA/PIT] Daniel Sprong for Marcus Pettersson

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
His skating is fine. Not amazing but not bad. I'd say maybe slightly above average.

His problem is always going to be winning board battles

Agreed. Though I think he's been very weak against a forecheck to start the year. To me, that's always been the x factor in if he'd ever be a top 4 guy.

Reactions: Magnus the Duck

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
His skating is fine. Not amazing but not bad. I'd say maybe slightly above average.

His problem is always going to be winning board battles

As you say he is weak in board battles but good in the other aspects for a 5/6 D.

Also a good passer I would say.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Watch the videos of his off season workouts.... Dude has crazy skill
So far he`s reminding me of Etem lol

But Sprongs first season he was electric, I really hope he can regenerate some of that.
And yeah, when Getzlaf is your leading goal scorer (albeit Aberg surpassed him later in the last game), it`s clear you need to look to acquire some goal scorers :D

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Cool with
Rakell getzlaf sprong
The interest may be in keeping Larsson up as the 3rd pairing once Fowler returns.

I wonder if Mahura will be on his way up.

That's very optimistic for you to put Sprong there...
Id love to see sprong get a look w/ getz and rakell.... sprong is very high skill player

Reactions: Trojans86

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
To optimize his shot you need to play him with a great play-maker and give him lots of ice time. I doubt he will do much with the other Centers you have...

Bingo. Sprong looked like a world-beater the one shift he got with Malkin this year, which resulted in extended zone-time/chances capped off by Sprong setting up Geno for a tap-in. Coach played him with muckers though and put him in the slot position as a dummy on the 2nd PP instead of the half-wall where he could rip one-timers, so like Mike said earlier in the thread, confidence/creativity was shot.

Not everyone is a line-driver. Put him with a talented C and let him play through mistakes and build his confidence back-up and you win this trade by a landslide.

Reactions: PelleLindbergh

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
So far he`s reminding me of Etem lol

But Sprongs first season he was electric, I really hope he can regenerate some of that.
And yeah, when Getzlaf is your leading goal scorer (albeit Aberg surpassed him later in the last game), it`s clear you need to look to acquire some goal scorers :D

Etem and him are no where similar.

etem couldn't do that ever. Etem was speed and physicality, sprong is straight skill.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Pens fan stopping by; I have absolutely no doubt Anaheim won this trade and that Sprong will be found money for the Ducks. Last year, with the mouse fart of TOI Sprong got with Crosby, he was rocking a CF above 60% (and that’s mostly away from Crosby) and was our 2nd leading winger in P/60, all of which were Primary Points. The only solace I take is that as long as Mike Sullivan is our HC, Sprong was never going to be given a shot anyway. And Pettersson, who I know very little about, if he’s a legit top 5 D-Man, Pens need that desperately.

Pens have bungled this young man’s career since Day 1. I’m glad for him to get a fresh start and I’ll be happy when his success is a giant middle finger to Mike Sullivan (who’s a coach I actually like for the most part).

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Bingo. Sprong looked like a world-beater the one shift he got with Malkin this year, which resulted in extended zone-time/chances capped off by Sprong setting up Geno for a tap-in. Coach played him with muckers though and put him in the slot position as a dummy on the 2nd PP instead of the half-wall where he could rip one-timers, so like Mike said earlier in the thread, confidence/creativity was shot.

Not everyone is a line-driver. Put him with a talented C and let him play through mistakes and build his confidence back-up and you win this trade by a landslide.

Completely agree. He plays a similar style to Kessel. Like Kessel, it helps for him to play with a center that draws players to him (aka Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf). That allows Sprong to get open and finish off plays with his one-timer or speed to the net.

Sprong won't do anything on the 3rd or 4th line...Pitt totally misused him and yes they did have too much depth to use him properly this year.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
The problem is we have exactly one center that fits the description of what Sprong needs and we can’t accommodate every “needs to be with Getzlaf” guy on the roster without pulling the goalie and playing 6 forwards

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Completely agree. He plays a similar style to Kessel. Like Kessel, it helps for him to play with a center that draws players to him (aka Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf). That allows Sprong to get open and finish off plays with his one-timer or speed to the net.

Sprong won't do anything on the 3rd or 4th line...Pitt totally misused him and yes they did have too much depth to use him properly this year.
To be clear though, I'm not saying he wouldn't benefit from playing with Getzlaf (I think the only winger in our lineup that wouldn't is Silf).

But really, if the issue is Sullivan's lack kf utilization of forward prospects and bottom 6ers, what makes you think that Carlyle would be any better than Sullivan?

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
The interest may be in keeping Larsson up as the 3rd pairing once Fowler returns.

I wonder if Mahura will be on his way up.

That's very optimistic for you to put Sprong there...

Even if Sprong does well, there’s not enough pucks on the ice for a Getz/Rakell/Sprong line is there?

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Spring is a shooter, hopefully he can help out our power play. I'm excited about this trade, Ducks are slowly increasing skill and speed up front which is just what we need.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The problem is we have exactly one center that fits the description of what Sprong needs and we can’t accommodate every “needs to be with Getzlaf” guy on the roster without pulling the goalie and playing 6 forwards
Good thing kase performs on any line with any players.

Reactions: KyleJRM

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I need more goals and I cannot lie
You other GMs can't deny
That when your team skates in with a tall and skinny Nord
And always zeroes on the board
You get Sprong!
When you notice your offense stuck
Deep in the system you're wearing
You're screwed and you can't stop swearing
Oh, Rutherford, I wanna email ya
And swap that playa

See, this is why you were the real winner of this trade. You’ve been waiting so long for that lol

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
To be clear though, I'm not saying he wouldn't benefit from playing with Getzlaf (I think the only winger in our lineup that wouldn't is Silf).

But really, if the issue is Sullivan's lack kf utilization of forward prospects and bottom 6ers, what makes you think that Carlyle would be any better than Sullivan?

I think that Carlyle is more open to giving players a shot. For example, he did give Aberg a shot with Getzlaf...

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Like the trade. Pettersson imo did not have much upside to his game at all. Seemed like a player that is solid, but doesn't do anything great.

Haven't seen much of Sprong at all but he put up great numbers in the minors and Pitt fans are saying he was misused on their team. Could be a steal.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't think Pettersson has a very high ceiling - 4/5 defensemen in my mind. I think he's a low risk prospect at this point - not a high ceiling but very likely to reach it.

Sounds like Sprong us the opposite, higher ceiling but risker. I think this is a good trade. Pettersson was going to be passed by others and BM traded him before he lost value.

Pettersson is only 22 years old. His floor is 5/6th defenseman at the NHL level. That's a good deal on a player swap with a who may or may not find his groove again at the NHL level. Good thing the Ducks have depth at the 5/6th defense with Dotchin, Mahura, and Welinski. The Ducks are short on forward talent, so it's gamble they'll take.

Don't look now, but the Ducks have amassed a talented group of forwards in Sprong, Comtois, Terry, Steel, and Jones.

Reactions: Magnus the Duck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sprong added to steel, lundestrom, terry, jones, ritchie, comtois, sheerwood aberg rakell kase and henrique as future of team not bad
Still wish we took veleno tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad