Confirmed with Link: [ANA/PIT] Daniel Sprong for Marcus Pettersson

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
nice to have sprong. petersson was expendible so glad to see this trade happen.

another trade with the pens lol

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think Pettersson thriving with Pens are a higher probability to Sprong thriving with us.

Good luck to MP, there is still untapped potential there, he will have a better chance in Pitt.
Hope Sprong works out

Reactions: Spazkat

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Watch the videos of his off season workouts.... Dude has crazy skill

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I was liking Pettersson recently, but with Larsson and Mahura really close, we can afford to give him up.
My feeling as well. This was a perfect trade in terms of risk/value. We needed to address the coming logjam at LD at some point, and Murray came up with a nice return for a guy who was soon to be bumped by both Larsson and Mahura.

I've also been liking Pettersson's game lately, shame to see him go, but I have been becoming skeptical that he would establish himself as more than a 3rd pairing guy without seriously bulking up.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think Pettersson thriving with Pens are a higher probability to Sprong thriving with us.

Good luck to MP, there is still untapped potential there, he will have a better chance in Pitt.
Hope Sprong works out
I think so too but the upside is in Sprong's favor. And we need all the upside we can find up front

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
I can see Sprong putting up 10-15 goals with the ducks. For their sake, hopefully Carlyle will put him with better linemates than Sullivan did.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
The most important take away from this trade, in my opinion, is Silfverberg is on his way out. Our right wing depth is currently: Kase, Aberg, Silfverberg, Perry*, Eaves*, Terry**, Sherwood, and now Sprong.

*When healthy.
**Once he's in the NHL full time, which hopefully isn't until next season.

I like this trade. We capitalize on a player in a position of luxury (defense) whose upside appeared limited in the nearly 50 games he played. The opportunity cost of this trade is minimal.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I like it. Pettersson is a decent prospect/good young defender but with our glut of defensive prospects I'm good with Bob rolling the dice on Sprong. Dude is crazy skilled and we usually do well with Penguins cast offs. Hopefully a change of scenery is what he needs to succeed.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Absolutely love this from an upside perspective. Pettersson potential is a third pairing defenseman, and other prospects moved ahead of him on the depth chart. Sprong could turn into a top-6 forward.

Oh, and we seem to do well trading for and signing players from Pittsburgh.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
So where do we think Sprong will play in the lineup? Ideally I'd like to see him with Kesler and Silf at first, but I can't see RC moving Cogs to the 4th line.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Another implication: perhaps the biggest loser of this trade is Jake Dotchin. He appeared to have chemistry with Pettersson, so it'll be interesting to see how he performs with a different defense partner.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Pettersson hasn't hit his ceiling yet, it will still be several years before we really know what he is.

I don't think Pettersson has a very high ceiling - 4/5 defensemen in my mind. I think he's a low risk prospect at this point - not a high ceiling but very likely to reach it.

Sounds like Sprong us the opposite, higher ceiling but risker. I think this is a good trade. Pettersson was going to be passed by others and BM traded him before he lost value.

Reactions: pbgoalie

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Wow, I like this a lot. Petersson is a decent young defenceman, but one we could definitely afford to part with. And Sprong clearly has ability - putting up a PPG as a 20 year old is damn impressive, just needs to put it all together at the NHL level.

this pretty much confirms what I expected to happen: BM understands that he needs to move Silfverberg by the trade deadline
I'm totally ok with that too. Silf is a good player, but the type of contract he's likely going to get is something we need to stay well away from with how our finances are at the moment. Plus with his great playoff record I think he'll fetch quite a nice return around the deadline.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
What do you guys see as your forward lines now?

Maybe something like this:
Rakell - Getzlaf - Sprong
Aberg - Kesler - Silfverberg
Ritchie - Henrique - Kase
Cogliano - Rowney - Sherwood

Sounds about right?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Kase, Aberg, Terry, Sprong is quite the revamping of our RW depth to the "new NHL" style. Obviously Terry, Sprong, and Aberg's continued success are not givens, but potentially it's a lot more young speed and raw skill than we've had in a while.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Sounds about right?
Rakell-Getzlaf-Sprong
Silfverberg-Henrique-Kase
Ritchie-Rowney-Aberg
Cogliano-Kesler-Sherwood

This is what I'd like to see.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
The interest may be in keeping Larsson up as the 3rd pairing once Fowler returns.

I wonder if Mahura will be on his way up.

Sounds about right?

That's very optimistic for you to put Sprong there...

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
The interest may be in keeping Larsson up as the 3rd pairing once Fowler returns.

I wonder if Mahura will be on his way up.

That's very optimistic for you to put Sprong there...

where else would you put him?

To optimize his shot you need to play him with a great play-maker and give him lots of ice time. I doubt he will do much with the other Centers you have...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad