Confirmed with Link: [ANA/PHI] Derek Grant for Kyle Criscuolo and 2020 4th round pick

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I just look at what other bottom 6 forwards went for this deadline

Thompson for 2021 5th
Simmonds for 2021 5th
Ennis for 2021 5th
Marleau for 2021 3rd (he can slot in anywhere though)
Goodrow + 3rd for 2020 1st (the exception but he’s signed another year and they only moved down 40 spots)
Namestnikov (arguably a middle 6 forward) for 2021 4th
Cousins for 2021 4th

Grant for 2020 4th seems fair when looking at these other deals.

Agreed. Everyone looks at the Goodrow deal and wonders why we couldn't get a higher pick, but everyone thinks that Goodrow trade was terrible for Tampa. I think the best we could have hoped for was a 3rd. Remove the Goodrow trade and a 4th is exactly in line with this year's market.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Don’t you think if we could’ve gotten more, we would’ve?
But at the same time, I'd have rather kept Grant if all we were getting is a 4th rounder. We have a much better chance of re-signing him if he stays on the roster the rest of the season. Yes, Bob may have tried to see what his agent was looking for and figured he had no shot, but things change. So instead of keeping him around and maybe holding on to him for the future, we acquired a pick that will turn into a guy who has a 10% chance of being a 4th liner in 2025.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
But at the same time, I'd have rather kept Grant if all we were getting is a 4th rounder. We have a much better chance of re-signing him if he stays on the roster the rest of the season. Yes, Bob may have tried to see what his agent was looking for and figured he had no shot, but things change. So instead of keeping him around and maybe holding on to him for the future, we acquired a pick that will turn into a guy who has a 10% chance of being a 4th liner in 2025.
As I’ve said, he really isn’t needed next year with all of our current options. Yes he probably will produce more than any of them but we aren’t nearly good enough to where it matters how much our 4C really produces. Just need guys who can play their roles.

Reactions: Dmang714
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Grant has 4 points in 4 games. That does not bode well for our Summer re-signing. He is fitting in nicely and probably stay in Philly. BM rolled the dice once too often.

John

I'd bet against staying in Philly. He's just a placeholder right now on the third line and they need their cap space. My money's on Columbus.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I just look at what other bottom 6 forwards went for this deadline

Thompson for 2021 5th
Simmonds for 2021 5th
Ennis for 2021 5th
Marleau for 2021 3rd (he can slot in anywhere though)
Goodrow + 3rd for 2020 1st (the exception but he’s signed another year and they only moved down 40 spots)
Namestnikov (arguably a middle 6 forward) for 2021 4th
Cousins for 2021 4th

Grant for 2020 4th seems fair when looking at these other deals.
I won't argue something that neither of us knows the details of. I'll just repeat that Bob has little experience selling at the deadline. We don't know what he might have passed up earlier.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I won't argue something that neither of us knows the details of. I'll just repeat that Bob has little experience selling at the deadline. We don't know what he might have passed up earlier.

This is trying way too hard. When you're baselessly speculating on something like that despite all the evidence to the contrary, its probably time to reevaluate some things.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Please provide all the evidence of the options Bob had. I'll wait....

LMAO its been presented. We know what other, similar players went for at the deadline. That's the best we'll get and pretty much the only thing we can go on. Anything else is just what you want to believe.

Gotta hand it to you though for having the audacity to not only ask for evidence but throw out an "I'll wait" when your own entire argument is more or less fan fiction. That takes something else.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah, if I'm having cap issues the last thing I want is a solid center who wins face-offs and will probably end up as a 25 point guy for $700K.

John

Well the idea is that he's gonna get more than the league minimum this time around. It's not that Philly wouldn't want him back but that he's gonna move on just like he might've/would've here.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Well the idea is that he's gonna get more than the league minimum this time around. It's not that Philly wouldn't want him back but that he's gonna move on just like he might've/would've here.

How’d that work out in Pittsburg?

Not saying he won’t, or doesn’t deserve, more than the minimum that he’s gotten for years, but he probably will take $1.5 and be happy. He has had limited success outside the Ducks... and now maybe Philly.

He did get another assist tonight.

John

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
No you're not right on the money. You flat out said, "that's the best we'll get" and I'm telling you you don't know that because you don't know what Bob may have turned down prior. He might have turned down a 3rd but we'll never know. Therefore, we don't know if other deals represent the best he could have gotten. I'm done trying to teach you comprehension and logic. I think your issues run a lot deeper.
You realize value goes up and teams start to offer more closer to the deadline right?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
You realize value goes up and teams start to offer more closer to the deadline right?
You do realize that if you wait too long thinking that, you sometimes find yourself with a shrinking market of buyers? When you’re selling something that’s time sensitive and has an expiration there’s an art to getting top dollar. Especially when you are not the only seller. Nobody will ever admit it, but I guarantee you there are GMs who have turned down offers they later regretted. It happens.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
How’d that work out in Pittsburg?

Not saying he won’t, or doesn’t deserve, more than the minimum that he’s gotten for years, but he probably will take $1.5 and be happy. He has had limited success outside the Ducks... and now maybe Philly.

He did get another assist tonight.

John

Well this isnt 2018 anymore either. He's not a journeyman AAAA player who had 0 career goals up until that season anymore. Hes scored consistently enough and developed into a very good all around bottom six center who can play both special teams unit. Last time his payday fell through, this time it's hard to see that happening again.

Reactions: Deuce22
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
You do realize that if you wait too long thinking that, you sometimes find yourself with a shrinking market of buyers? When you’re selling something that’s time sensitive and has an expiration there’s an art to getting top dollar. Especially when you are not the only seller. Nobody will ever admit it, but I guarantee you there are GMs who have turned down offers they later regretted. It happens.

All of this can be true but theres little reason to think it happened here. The deal wasn't at the buzzer, it was very early on in the day and was probably right there the night before at the very least. Theres also no one similar who went for more and that holds true for a lot longer than deadline day. If someone offered a third or more for Grant they probably offered it for someone else and yet nothing like that materialized.

The simplest answer is typically the right one and the simplest answer here is that no one was paying high prices for rental forwards of any ilk and bottom sixers were no different. Many people, myself included, thought that after a bunch of defensemen went for decent prices that it meant buyers were paying up, added in a couple David Poile trades to justify why a team would pay up for a 4th line center, and convinced ourselves it could be a real score and we were clearly wrong.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I like Derek Grant and would be happy to have him on the ducks on a reasonable contract. But anyone who thinks that having Derek Grant on the roster materially moves the needle for this team in the next 2 years is just being emotional. It is very similar to when Cogs was traded - likable useful player but not a part of the core going forward.

Reactions: gunnergunther

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Also, i believe that Grant's agent said he was going to test FA. This is his one time he might be able to get a good contract and he should take that opportunity. Give him credit for putting himself in this position and wish him the best. He may still come back to the Ducks.

I would guess BM had discussions about an extension with him and decided the best for both is to trade him for an asset. Could the Ducks got more, maybe, but we dont know if this was the only team willing to trade for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad