Confirmed with Link: [ANA/PHI] Derek Grant for Kyle Criscuolo and 2020 4th round pick

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Few days ago a 4th was the realistic maximum, now everyone is disappointed. I mean a 700k signing returns a 4th is quite good imho. Adding a AHLer means we will see some call ups.

Good luck Derek, you're a good one.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm still surprised so many people thought he'd get more than this.
Well it`s rare you see an elite 1C get traded for a 4th round pick :sarcasm:

But yeah, absolute best I was kind of wishing for was a 3d but knew it was a long shot. 4th is reasonable. Feeling like Criscuolo is just a player to free up a contract spot for the Flyers. Btw while he has scored only 24 points, that teams leader has 27, lol. In much more games.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
All meme-ing and fun aside, Grant is an extremely ordinary, replaceable 4th liner who happens to be having a lucky season with shooting percentage, and getting a 4th for him is more than he's worth on pure value.

But it's fun to root for him and I hope he does well there.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I guess i'm getting old and don't understand the trade game these days. This makes little sense to me. I do know that a 4th rounder generally has about 20% chance of making the nhl.

Reactions: Deuce22

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
How are people getting mad about this? This is Derek Grant we're talking about. We can still re-sign him in the offseason, and even if we don't, Rowney, Backes, Agozzino, Carrick, or Shore can easily play the 4C role. Need all the picks we can get. If teams were offering more, we'd have taken it.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
How are people getting mad about this? This is Derek Grant we're talking about. We can still re-sign him in the offseason, and even if we don't, Rowney, Backes, Agozzino, Carrick, or Shore can easily play the 4C role. Need all the picks we can get. If teams were offering more, we'd have taken it.

Sure, a 4th round pick will really turn this team around. Rowney worked well on Grant's line, but without Grant, he may not be as effective. And how many goals have the others scored this year? Also Grant is a very good defensive player, which Shore isn't.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
I'm sure his lack of production in non-Anaheim markets made Fletcher a bit nervous. I'm sure whatever happens with DG in the offseason will be determined by how these last 20 games + playoffs go.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Sure, a 4th round pick will really turn this team around. Rowney worked well on Grant's line, but without Grant, he may not be as effective. And how many goals have the others scored this year? Also Grant is a very good defensive player, which Shore isn't.

"will really turn this team around" is a silly metric to measure by, because obviously the presence of Grant hasn't done that.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
4th round pick and depth for the Gulls. Was thinking Grant would pull at least a 3rd round, possibly 2nd depending on situation. Grant could always resign with us in 4 months which would make this a little better

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
"will really turn this team around" is a silly metric to measure by, because obviously the presence of Grant hasn't done that.

It was in response to the "we need the draft picks to rebuild mentality." A fourth round draft pick isn't really going to do much towards the rebuilding effort. And as for the presence of Grant, at least he was one of the few Ducks who never took a night off and rarely made bad decisions on the ice. Aren't these the types of players you want mentoring the Ducks younger players while they rebuild?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
4th round pick and depth for the Gulls. Was thinking Grant would pull at least a 3rd round, possibly 2nd depending on situation. Grant could always resign with us in 4 months which would make this a little better

Just by history, Grant only works in Anaheim. I don't understand people thinking Grant could fetch 2nd or 3rd round pick. People were joking around earlier in the weeks that Grant would, at most, garner a 5th round pick, because he's a fourth liner. If the long game is to re-sign Grant in the off-season and we get a 4th round pick, then that's a win for us. But we won't know until the off-season.

We got a fourth round pick. In a vacuum, that 4th round pick doesn't change much. Add context and now the 4th round pick can be packaged to move up in the draft, then there's some heavy value because it is an asset we didn't possess before. We may not trade the fourth, but another pick we possess. Yet having that fourth might also increase the chance of using another pick in a trade up.

In the past week, the Ducks have added a late 1st rd pick, a 4th rd pick, and a 2018 RHD prospect for the Ducks' future.

Anaheim isn't one player away from becoming a playoff contender, unfortunately. We had Grant, Ritchie, and Kase for most of this season, but we're still cellar dwellers. And the fact that our 4th line center is our default 1st line center is a terrible admission.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Murray better be shopping around Henrique and Shore in order to acquire picks and prospects, then. This is underwhelming.

One of these things is not like the other. I like Grant, but come on.

the return for Grant is a bit disappointing but seems about right. Thompson was traded for a 5th. This basically replaces the 4th the ducks gave up for Deslauriers and opens up a role for Backes to see what we have the rest of the way.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
I guess i'm getting old and don't understand the trade game these days. This makes little sense to me. I do know that a 4th rounder generally has about 20% chance of making the nhl.

a 4th doesn't...usually 2nd rounders is about 20%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad