Confirmed with Link: [ANA/PHI] Derek Grant for Kyle Criscuolo and 2020 4th round pick

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So this is a conditional 4th. Whichever is higher between Philly and Nashville is the one we get. And by higher I mean better.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
How does a Barclay Goodrow return a 1st round pick and Derek Grant only returns a 4th rounder?
Well the Sharks did trade a 3rd rounder. So the pick is basically an upgrade of about 45 spots, rather than a brand new first rounder. And Goodrow is signed through next season.

That's kind of an explanation, but Tampa definitely overpaid. They must really like Goodrow for some reason.

Reactions: McDonald19
Oct 18, 2011
I'm still surprised so many people thought he'd get more than this.
i think that was being hopeful, he has an unsustainable shooting % which is inflating his goal total. he is however a good 4th liner, so a 4th is probably the right return

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
ERqNHalWkAAUD6i

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I love Grant as much as any Ducks fan, but people really should not be too upset over him not being back. We have more than enough guys who can play his role (Agozzino, Backes, Rowney, Carrick)

Reactions: duckpuck

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I love Grant as much as any Ducks fan, but people really should not be too upset over him not being back. We have more than enough guys who can play his role (Agozzino, Backes, Rowney, Carrick)

Grant is quite a lot better than any of Agozzino, Backes and Carrick. And Rowney, while he can play center, has played mostly wing in the NHL.

Though I agree people shouldn't be upset. First of all, we are not gonna be competitive the next couple of years regardless. And also, why does anyone expect the guy would even wanna return to Anaheim? Now is his best chance to cash in on the UFA market, other teams are gonna throw more $ at him, not to mention this team has stinked most of his time here. And then there's also the fact that BM didn't make it his priority to re-sign him the first time.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I’m upset they didn’t offer him a 3 year deal (or maybe they did and we don’t know). I’m more upset that they only got a 4th and a minor league player who is tying up a contract slot when there are college free agents out there (Maybe BM knows none would come here though).

A 4th seemed like an exceptionally poor return the way the market went on trade deadline day. It looks even worse after his first 4 games.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I’m upset they didn’t offer him a 3 year deal (or maybe they did and we don’t know). I’m more upset that they only got a 4th and a minor league player who is tying up a contract slot when there are college free agents out there (Maybe BM knows none would come here though).

A 4th seemed like an exceptionally poor return the way the market went on trade deadline day. It looks even worse after his first 4 games.

But Murray values possibly the last pick in the 1st round a major asset to give up Kase + taking on cap space.... so he probably views that 4rth rounder as a if it was a 2nd round pick to other GMs.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

This is the kicker. I could come up with justifications for trading him (although you're right that they should have gotten more in a sellers market), but if they didn't even bother to sit down and negotiate with Grant or they knowingly low-balled him way below what his market value is going to be in free agency? That's terrible optics from Bob.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Don’t you think if we could’ve gotten more, we would’ve?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Don’t you think if we could’ve gotten more, we would’ve?
We'll obviously never know what could have been. But it isn't often we have been sellers under Bob (if at all?). It's not difficult to think Bob over played his hand and ended up with less than he could have had. It's not like he's had experience at this.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
We'll obviously never know what could have been. But it isn't often we have been sellers under Bob (if at all?). It's not difficult to think Bob over played his hand and ended up with less than he could have had. It's not like he's had experience at this.
I just look at what other bottom 6 forwards went for this deadline

Thompson for 2021 5th
Simmonds for 2021 5th
Ennis for 2021 5th
Marleau for 2021 3rd (he can slot in anywhere though)
Goodrow + 3rd for 2020 1st (the exception but he’s signed another year and they only moved down 40 spots)
Namestnikov (arguably a middle 6 forward) for 2021 4th
Cousins for 2021 4th

Grant for 2020 4th seems fair when looking at these other deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->