Confirmed Trade: [ANA/NJD] Vatanen & conditional 3rd for Henrique, Blandisi & a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
One of my favorite things about Henrique is that he's showing a high level of on-ice intelligence. He's just consistently been making the right plays for us. Even when he isn't scoring, I think most of us have felt pretty good about his play.

Also agreed 100% with Elf. I'm sure New Jersey is very happy with the player they got, and Anaheim certainly is. Objectively, I'd even say that it's fair to say New Jersey probably got the better player just because Sami is a defenseman, and he's playing a key role for them. Henrique has been great for us, but filling a need on the blue line for New Jersey is probably a bit more substantial than Henrique and his versatility, which is no knock on Henrique. I'd make that trade again in a heartbeat, and be happy to. Anaheim needed a player like Henrique, and New Jersey needed one like Vatanen.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I get what you said but my point is at the time of the trade Anaheim got the better player and I still think Henrique is the better player in the trade. He's been great for the ducks

I tend to agree, but a lot of people undervalue and under-appreciate Henrique. That being said I also think Sami has quite a bit of upside (which we're starting to see now that he's found his groove). Anyway, I think it's a great hockey trade for both teams and both players hold quite a bit of value regardless.

Reactions: My3Sons

paragon

May 5, 2010
I don't think that's fair to say. The big question with Vatanen was whether or not he could find his groove without receiving sheltered minutes. He couldn't here with us, but he's been doing it with New Jersey as one of their best defensemen. It's not like he's bad defensively either. He's been putting up production without losing the defensive side of his game (from what I've seen) and has not been sheltered at all.
I don't think that was ever the question. The question was if the coaching would stop holding him back. He's still the same player he's been for a few years now. He didn't become any better because of the trade, he just doesn't have to play in Carlyle's system.

For sure he wouldn't have gotten the same opportunity with the Ducks. I think both sides won this trade, but the biggest winner was Vatanen.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Yeah Vatanen is soo good. He's a very strong #3. NJ wins this trade in a vacuum but Henrique is a good player

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
God forbid people want to discuss a trade after they have some actual information and sample size on the players and impact it had.

Especially since the discussion has been very polite, and even optimistic about how the trade was beneficial to both teams.

If the discussion was degrading into attacks or was no longer relevant to the thread, I would close it, but that isn't the case.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I was a big fan of Vatanen's even before the trade, and after getting to watch him consistently the last couple months he's even better than I expected. I knew he had that dynamic offense, but he's been so sound in his own zone.

He can play 27 minutes a night against the opponent's best players and not miss a beat. He's easily better than Adam Larsson. I'd hesitate to call him a #1, but he seems every bit a top pairing defenseman to me.

Definitely miss Rico, but I'd do this trade again in a heartbeat. I can't wait to see what Sami can do when we get him a better partner than an aging Andy Greene.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK27 and MakoSlade

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
In my eyes, Sami Vatanen is unequivocally and by far the best defenseman on the Devils blueline since we acquired him.Okay save the first 5 games since he's settled in, he is the #1 guy.

The gap is huge in a lot of fans eyes between the #1 and #2 guy. He eats tons of minutes, amazing offense play, fairly solid defensive play. He's getting all the tough match-ups with Greene as his partner (who is not as good as he used to be)

I would venture to say he is one of the best all around defenseman that NJ has had quite some some time, as well. Maybe arguably so, but its looking harder to debate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK27 and MakoSlade

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
In my eyes, Sami Vatanen is unequivocally and by far the best defenseman on the Devils blueline since we acquired him.Okay save the first 5 games since he's settled in, he is the #1 guy.

The gap is huge in a lot of fans eyes between the #1 and #2 guy. He eats tons of minutes, amazing offense play, fairly solid defensive play. He's getting all the tough match-ups with Greene as his partner (who is not as good as he used to be)

I would venture to say he is one of the best all around defenseman that NJ has had quite some some time, as well. Maybe arguably so, but its looking harder to debate it.

I'm really happy that Sami is doing well there. I loved him as a player here. I'm pretty happy with Henrique too though. He's fitting in very well for us. Solid, smart play and a better center than I was expecting.

This really was a rare trade. We both got solid players.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This is hf. People demand the fanbase compare apples to oranges and declare a “winner” in the abstract without any reference to team goals! That is the time honored way of doing things on these boards and it will not be broken. Now - one fan for each team step forward to be tied together at the wrist. A circle will be drawn around you and a set of hero and Corsi charts will be placed at your feet. First one out of the circle gets to declare victory and then realize their life hasn’t changed one iota.

Reactions: Arthuros

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
I'm really happy that Sami is doing well there. I loved him as a player here. I'm pretty happy with Henrique too though. He's fitting in very well for us. Solid, smart play and a better center than I was expecting.

This really was a rare trade. We both got solid players.

What I like best about Sami is his compete level. He plays hard and fights and scraps and never lets up. I was not expecting that!

And it sounds like Henrique hasn't changed a thing...which is a good thing. He was great for us.

Reactions: Deuce22 and Mallard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad