Confirmed Trade: [ANA/NJD] Vatanen & conditional 3rd for Henrique, Blandisi & a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
Sami Vatanen is a very good offensively minded defensiveman playing nicely for New Jersey Devils. He was great for Ducksive Anaheim, but in the end, I think this was a trade nice for all parties around!

Reactions: Bleedred

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I disagree with other Devils fans that we don't miss Henrique. I think we do. That's why we traded for Grabner and Maroon at the deadline. We needed to do the trade though, our defense was a dumpster fire before Vatanen came in.

Reactions: Aethon

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Vats has always been very underappreciated in his d zone for the ducks. I remember last year in the post season when he was hurt our d played horrible as a whole and the second he came back we looked great. Because he is effective because of compete more so than skill size or skating he doesn't look as good out there as he really is.

As someone else said, our d hasn't been the same after losing vats but that is primarily because Bieksa was his replacement. If we played more of our young talent it wouldn't have been as noticeable.

This trade was absolutely critical. We traded our biggest strength for our biggest weakness.

Reactions: Deuce22

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I disagree with other Devils fans that we don't miss Henrique. I think we do. That's why we traded for Grabner and Maroon at the deadline. We needed to do the trade though, our defense was a dumpster fire before Vatanen came in.

Defense was much more of a problem than F, there was no way that D-group could have survived a 82 game regular season pre Vatanen.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Are you sure you're watching the right games? I've seen many defensive mistakes by Montour lately that's lead to goals on our end. Sami is small, I'll give him that, but at least he plays aggressive

Vatanen played well during the playoffs, it was usually Montour who was too offensive in the other teams zone. I'd still rather have Montour at times, but his defensive play is rather annoying.

The poster you're quoting has had a ridiculous hate on for Vatanen for awhile now, and would have loved to drive him out of town long before it ever made sense.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sami Vatanen is a very good offensively minded defensiveman playing nicely for New Jersey Devils. He was great for Ducksive Anaheim, but in the end, I think this was a trade nice for all parties around!
Agree.

Fair trade all around.

Vatanen has been a godsend. He's replaced Adam Larsson (he's better than Larsson) and he's also carrying around the skeleton of Andy Greene, who is now a VERY bad defenseman in the year 2018.

Reactions: Dialamo

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The poster you're quoting has had a ridiculous hate on for Vatanen for awhile now, and would have loved to drive him out of town long before it ever made sense.
Sadly, we have one or two on our board that don't like him either.:(

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Agree.

Fair trade all around.

Vatanen has been a godsend. He's replaced Adam Larsson (he's better than Larsson) and he's also carrying around the skeleton of Andy Greene, who is now a VERY bad defenseman in the year 2018.

You mean we could have gotten T. Hall for vatanen -.- DAMNIT.

Glad hes doing well unfortunately he was the odd man out in Anaheim Lindholm Fowler > vats, Manson a diff style of dmen that we lack and Montour can become a similar player to vatanen and at a lesser cost for us, even tho we lost a lot of good dmen last year(vats, despres, Theodore) we still have Larsson, Welinski, Pettersson and Mahura in the pipeline so it was a fortunate position of strength.

Hope Henrique can be a bit of a stop gap between kesler/getz and Steel/terry/morand(potential draft pick this year)

Reactions: Bleedred

sunsetsuperhuman

Mar 9, 2018
Its crazy to see how many former Duck players are lacing up skates for NJ. I think after the way this game has started, all the agreeable stuff going on in this thread is going to come to a grinding halt.

I hope Sami is okay after that hit. He was one of my favorites when he was in Anaheim.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

We traded for them because we have been super thin on the right side and needed to also add some size.

If it was about replacing Henrique we would have traded for a center.

Nico coming on like he did was a big reason we could swing this trade though. Without him I don’t see them trading Henrique at all

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Ding Ding Ding , not to mention Montours all around game has been very impressive! On a team where huge mistakes often get put into the back of our net ( I don’t miss vatenan at all) come playoffs time he will turn the puck over at critical times, get outmanned in front of the net and have that lost look on his face( ala bieksa luca sbisa) glad he’s doing well in NJ though . Ty for Henrique. At this point moving forward Henrique>Silf as far as being resigned ( that’s how impressive Henrique is)

Is this that poster Hagged or whatever it was who somehow got it into his head that Sami was the worst D ever and kept advocating to dump him for random 4th liners and press box ornaments?

I mean HF isn't exactly a bastion of reasonable hockey opinions, but you'd be hard pressed to find a player evaluation more off base than this crap

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Funny, everyone blasting me for “ always being a vats hater “ I always said I think his compete level is high, but that the glaring mistakes will for sure be why he is traded . And as usual, me and Murray on same page and he was sent packing . Circumstances aside, he for those glaring mistakes was getting shipped out even if kesler and getz had been healthy( granted it would’ve been done this off season) I also always said his style suits the eastern conference more( and as usual I was spot on there also) Montour is coming into his own , but he will also be the next to be shipped out( Larsson has always been the guy of all the young guns to be the next duck top 4 signed to a long deal) everyone else is expandable( Larsson, fowler, lindholm & manson) are here to stay

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Montour is coming into his own , but he will also be the next to be shipped out( Larsson has always been the guy of all the young guns to be the next duck top 4 signed to a long deal) everyone else is expandable( Larsson, fowler, lindholm & manson) are here to stay

So if you're shipping out Montour who's playing right side? Because everyone else on your list besides Manson plays left.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Yeah, kinda figured. I've noticed a lot of 'fans' on the Ducks facebook page as well that aren't really fans for the guy. Never understood the hate, I actually think his all-around defensive game improved under Randy. Bruce allowed his offensive game to flourish'

Funny, everyone blasting me for “ always being a vats hater “ I always said I think his compete level is high, but that the glaring mistakes will for sure be why he is traded . And as usual, me and Murray on same page and he was sent packing . Circumstances aside, he for those glaring mistakes was getting shipped out even if kesler and getz had been healthy( granted it would’ve been done this off season) I also always said his style suits the eastern conference more( and as usual I was spot on there also) Montour is coming into his own , but he will also be the next to be shipped out( Larsson has always been the guy of all the young guns to be the next duck top 4 signed to a long deal) everyone else is expandable( Larsson, fowler, lindholm & manson) are here to stay

Vatanen was excelling greatly under BB because he was excelling under that offensive system. It's not his fault RC is stuck with a staunch defensive system (that allows guys like Bieksa to play). I don't understand the love people have for Larsson. This top-4 is something to really hold onto. You could ship Larsson out for a similar trade of the Henrique deal. RHD are more of a hot commodity than LHD.

Reactions: Getzmonster

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I'm not sure I've ever seen a more "I'm awesome post" in my entire time here. Jesus dude...

Anyway, it was common knowledge for most on the Duck board that Vatanen would be traded by this coming offseason. The injuries just expedited the process. Everyone just isn't as quick to post how awesome they are for being right about it.

I don't agree with your assessment of Vatanen either. I don't think glaring mistakes was an issue of his at all. It was a lack of consistency. I do agree about his game being more suited for the eastern conference though.

Completely disagree about Montour. He isn't going anywhere.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I would say NJD won, as they got a top pairing 26 y.o D-man for a 28 y.o 2C.

Feb 24, 2017
I'm not sure I've ever seen a more "I'm awesome post" in my entire time here. Jesus dude...

Anyway, it was common knowledge for most on the Duck board that Vatanen would be traded by this coming offseason. The injuries just expedited the process. Everyone just isn't as quick to post how awesome they are for being right about it.

I don't agree with your assessment of Vatanen either. I don't think glaring mistakes was an issue of his at all. It was a lack of consistency. I do agree about his game being more suited for the eastern conference though.

Completely disagree about Montour. He isn't going anywhere.
I am so jealous of your fave team’s endless flow of ready when needed d men.

Reactions: Duck Off

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
If it wasn’t for this trade the ducks would not be in the post season period. Rico stepped up when needed and has been the best 3C we’ve had in quite a Long time

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
To be fair, Vats has always been a black hole defensively, but you do need some offense from the blue line in todays NHL. Ducks already had the offense, so Vatanen was redundant and left in a marginal third line role.

Win-win as Vatanen was handed a bigger offensive role in the Devils and seems to be handling it just fine despite the increased TOI and QoC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->