Confirmed Trade: [ANA/NJD] Vatanen & conditional 3rd for Henrique, Blandisi & a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Yea, I've been pumping Rykov's tires for a while now so hope he works out. Personally, the only potential top pairing guy (down the road) on the team right now is Butcher, and that's assuming you pair him with a better size defensive rock. I think Sevs and Santini realistically top out as middle pairing guys, which I'm perfectly happy with.
We certainly don't have a potential 1D, but I do think that we have a few guys who could become a good number 2 and excellent number 3's. Rykov is definitely the biggest wild card. Seems like he definitely has top pairing potential, but we have to get him over here first.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
He can be worth it with a change of scenery but honestly even before injury I grew keen to just move him. He got complacent in Anaheim and lacked the drive he had as a precontract extension player. Maybe a new team will motivate him bit he does still seem to be recovering from injury.
You just described Henrique minus the injury history.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
so according to this thread we're getting a mid pairing, unmotivated and injured player who has been **** for the last 2 seasons... terrific
But if he can get it going he's a solid defender with good offensive instincts. If he can ever get his shot back he's got a great cannon from the point.

It's in NJ's hands if they can cultivate his game back. Maybe Anaheim gave up on him with the rise of Montour.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Maybe this changes in the future but man is this a great trade. Both teams dealing from a position of strength to address a weakness, just don't see that a lot. I wasn't too excited about the idea of Henrique, but I think that was mostly greed, he's a really great third center who can move around the lineup.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Maybe this changes in the future but man is this a great trade. Both teams dealing from a position of strength to address a weakness, just don't see that a lot. I wasn't too excited about the idea of Henrique, but I think that was mostly greed, he's a really great third center who can move around the lineup.

I see him as a stopgap until Sam Steel comes along. Trading Vatanen was good because you guys are very strong in the defensive position already.

I like trades that benefit both teams.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I think this is a great deal for both teams, potentially.

Vatanen has not been great the last year and a half. For a while, I thought he could surpass Fowler, but he never took the next step. With that being said, he is a good 3/4 Dman. I think his game is misunderstood - his offense is good, but not as good as people think. However, he is much better defensively and on the PK than he gets credit for. I have a feeling the East and Devils team may fit his game a bit better, and some of his better hockey may still be ahead of him. The reality is that the ducks are not much worse on D with him out of the lienup, so they were in a good position to add offense without subtracting much.

I would have loved to move Vatanen for a more exciting offensive piece, but came to terms with the fact that was unlikely due to the less than stellar hockey he has played over the past year.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Vatanen and Santini over who is the biggest black hole of shot suppression

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Reactions: HanSolo

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
This is a deal that works great for both sides, so hard to call a winner and a loser.. but.. I do like Adam Henrique better then Sami Vatanen, so if I had to pick a winner I'll give the edge to the Ducks here.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like Henrique, but Vatanen is a commodity all teams are trying to add. A certified top 2 pairing D man on a contending team. You have to give up something to get something in return. Going to trust Shero here. And the Ducks needed a Center badly with their injuries. They filled a void. This is a good old fashioned good trade that may work out for both teams. But I sure like this long term for the Devils. Shero is doing it again. No complaints if I am a Devils fan.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Seems like a pretty good deal then haha.
Honestly if all we got is forward depth that can provide some good defense then I'm satisfied.
It's maddening with Henrique too because when he's engaged he's physical and all over opponents. He's not a playmaker at all, but if he plays with a good distributor he's a good finisher.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Solid deal, although I think the Devils slightly overpaid. Or I'm just overvaluing Henrique?

I've wanted Vatanen for years on the Rangers, damn.

Win-win trade for both sides.

Wasn't Blandisi real promising?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
How much crow are you going to eat once Santini's numbers improve significantly after finally not playing against the top 2 lines 100% of the time?

What is your definition of 'improve significantly'? He's literally the worst shot suppressor and possession driver in the league right now, by far. He could 'improve significantly' and still be a liability/net negative.

I will gladly eat crow if it's on the menu, i.e he starts positively driving possession and suppressing shots relatively.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Good deal for both teams. A year ago I would never have thought that the Ducks would lose both Theodore and Vatanen. I thought those guys would be big pieces of the next core.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
Ducks POV:
We have badly needed a high end 3C for awhile. The experiment with Rakell was doomed when the injuries piled up. If this team ever gets healthy the Ducks now have that piece they've needed for years. A D trade was inevitable and Montours emergence pretty much meant the end for Sami, who will probably do very well in the east.

Henrique is not a "high end 3C"

He's much better at wing, that's the consensus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad