Confirmed Trade: [ANA/NJD] Vatanen & conditional 3rd for Henrique, Blandisi & a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
God damnit. If my team couldnt have Vatanen, I definitely wanted him to stay the hell out of the Metro.

Seems like a smart move for both teams. Anaheim still has a plethora of young D talent and now gets better up front. Silf, Henrique, Rackell, Ritchie all up front and still fairly/very young means they have a core to replace the Perry/Getz/Kesler generation.

As for Jersey, damn, its shocking how much better they look on paper than they did just 18 months ago. If Shero had been as unfraid to make moves like this, he might still be Pens GM today.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Great trade for the Devils in my opinion. 1.5 years of Henrique, an NHL/AHL player and a 3rd for 2.5 years of a top 4 D. Cant believe this is what Anaheim was holding out for.

Henrique is going to a pretty good team, especially when they start getting healthy. Plus pretty good living there as well, especially when you’re a millionaire.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The rich get richer.

Kevin Bieksa Stanley Cup Champion will be reality in seven months.
Ryan-Gosling-Laughing.gif

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Doesnt this create a big hole in Devils lineup down the middle? I mean they strengthen their d aswell but still.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Doesnt this create a big hole in Devils lineup down the middle? I mean they strengthen their d aswell but still.
Henrique is not good at center, he is a better LW. We always hoped GMs around the league would overvalue him as a C. He has been on the wing for the last few weeks, even on the 4th line.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Henrique is going to a pretty good team, especially when they start getting healthy. Plus pretty good living there as well, especially when you’re a millionaire.
At 1st I thought it was such a bad trade for NJ then I realized that I had thought it was Palmieri+Henrique

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Good trade for both teams. What I don’t understand is why people are saying “they got X player for 2.5 years or 1.5 years” as if every player on the planet is going to run away once his contract is finished. 95% of the time they resign with the team.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Good thread on this trade.

One thing I’ll mention that I haven’t seen yet is that we’ve been waiting for Marcus Johansson to comeback back from concussion. I think these kinds of trades often happen when one team or the other is ready to make a roster move, so hopefully this means he is very close to returning.

Question for Anaheim fans, do you have room up front to give Blandisi a look? I like him and I’d love to see him get a shot. I think he would have made NJ’s roster if not for the surprise emergence of Jesper Bratt.

Here’s how I see NJ’s d right now

Severson - 2/3
Santini - 3
Butcher - 4
Vatanen -4 (based on comments that he’s been struggling)
Greene - 4
Mueller - 5
Moore - 6
Lovejoy - 7

If Vatanen benefits from the change of scenery and ends up being a 2 or a 3 that would be amazing. Butcher will probably improve from where he is now, if both of those things happen NJ could have a serviceable D.
My two cents (present day):

Severson - 3
Vatanen - 3
Greene - 3/4
Butcher - 4
Santini - 4/5
Moore - 5/6
Mueller - 6
Lovejoy - 7

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Damn, I'm really going to miss Henrique, hopefully Vatanen is worth it. What a bummer.
He can be worth it with a change of scenery but honestly even before injury I grew keen to just move him. He got complacent in Anaheim and lacked the drive he had as a precontract extension player. Maybe a new team will motivate him bit he does still seem to be recovering from injury.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Vatanen played well 5v5 when he had smaller minutes.
As his minutes increased he started to play worse.

And he is a dumpster fire in his own zone.

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
He can be worth it with a change of scenery but honestly even before injury I grew keen to just move him. He got complacent in Anaheim and lacked the drive he had as a precontract extension player. Maybe a new team will motivate him bit he does still seem to be recovering from injury.
so according to this thread we're getting a mid pairing, unmotivated and injured player who has been shit for the last 2 seasons... terrific

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Gotta hope Walsh or Rykov blossoms into something special.
Yea, I've been pumping Rykov's tires for a while now so hope he works out. Personally, the only potential top pairing guy (down the road) on the team right now is Butcher, and that's assuming you pair him with a better size defensive rock. I think Sevs and Santini realistically top out as middle pairing guys, which I'm perfectly happy with.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

The Devils' top 2 C for years has been Zajac/Henrique. Now that they have Hischier and he's clearly a top-two-lines C, one of those guys would stand to be bumped to third line or to wing. The Devils got off to the hot start they did with Zajac out injured. Now that he's back, he can assume the top-6 slot Henrique vacates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad