Confirmed with Link: [ANA/MTL] Jacob Perreault for Jan Mysak

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Damn how are the canadians going to get zegras now... this was 1 of the popular trade pieces for him

Reactions: dracom

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So true...and it's amazing that they generally can't get their shot off when they get to higher levels of competition. Makes me wonder if Eiserman is going to be Perreault-like or more able to get his shot off like Caufield can.
Caufield's a shooter that has pretty much worked out tho but yeah

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Well, at least Mysak is on contract next season and waiver exempt. Sounds like he is a hard worker who will help the Gulls. It seems like Perreault was always injured.

Perreault also is contracted next season and waiver exempt.

I believe Perreault was developing, but developing slowly due to constant injuries. Two seasons ago, he played his most games in the AHL with 55 games, scored 37 points, and was called up to the NHL as a reward. Tracey and Perreault had great chemistry that season. The Gulls went to the playoffs that season as well. Perreault was 19 years old during that season.

Our AHL program mirrored our NHL program under Verbeek. It was a shit roster last year. This year, it was a terrible until De Leo returned to the lineup. There have been two different head coaches for the past two seasons. Perreault has had four different head coaches in the AHL, since age 18. Still, Perreault cannot stay mostly healthy all season long in the past two seasons.

If they're both AHL fodder, then I'd much rather keep the one with a higher potential just in case that player just needed extra time to develop. Yet, right now, they are both just AHL fodder.

Reactions: Don D

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I never looked at the guys drafted in 5 of the 7 picks after after JP:
Greig
Brisson
Bourque
Wallinder
Peterka

Yikes.

Then add in Moore being taken 2 picks before Nikishin, and Drysdale getting derailed by injuries, not a great year for the Ducks in terms of draft results. Or atleast not as good if we play shoulda coulda woulda.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Perreault’s just another great example of what some of us are emphasizing a lot with the drafting - there were some nice players we missed out on who were drafted after him.

He wasn’t a good pick, there were all kinds of motivation questions and even hockey IQ. The only thing we knew he had was a shot. Def not a Verbeek type

There were some red flags regarding Perreault before the draft that were ultimately spot on. No amount of development could have fixed them.

This is weird. The draft year before Perreault, everyone was mad that we didn't select Arthur Kaliyev. Kaliyev had a great shot, but the lack of motor drive caused him to drop. That's Perreault's profile pre-draft too.

It's our org's job to help cultivate that talent. There was talent showing in Perreault's first years with org as an 18 and 19-year old. Why didn't the development continue? Part of it is Perreault's inability to stay healthy, but part of it is the org.

Perreault, AHL Career (Ducks).png

• 2020-21
    • Head Coach: Dineen
    • Pts %: Gulls had Pts % of 0.602, 3rd in the Pacific.
    • Playoffs: The AHL held no playoff games due to COVID.
  • 2021-22
    • Head Coach: Bouchard
    • Pts %: Gulls had Pts % of 0.463, 7th in the Pacific.
    • Playoffs: Yes
  • 2022-23
    • Head Coach: Sommer
    • Pts %: Gulls had Pts % of 0.299, 10th (last) in the Pacific.
    • Playoffs: No
  • 2023-24
    • Head Coach: McIlvane
    • Pts %: Gulls had Pts % of 0.462, 9th in the Pacific.
    • Playoffs: n/a (still in season)

If it were not for Dostal giving the org a heads up on Suchanek, who is on an AHL contract (no ELC from any NHL team), the Gulls would have a far worse record.

Reactions: Boo Boo

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
This is weird. The draft year before Perreault, everyone was mad that we didn't select Arthur Kaliyev. Kaliyev had a great shot, but the lack of motor drive caused him to drop. That's Perreault's profile pre-draft too.

It's our org's job to help cultivate that talent. There was talent showing in Perreault's first years with org as an 18 and 19-year old. Why didn't the development continue? Part of it is Perreault's inability to stay healthy, but part of it is the org.

View attachment 831423

• 2020-21
  • 2021-22
  • 2022-23
  • 2023-24

If it were not for Dostal giving the org a heads up on Suchanek, who is on an AHL contract (no ELC from any NHL team), the Gulls would have a far worse record.
Except that the red flag for Perreault was motivation (i.e. laziness) issues. In other words, a poor work ethic. The Ducks went for need and took him b/c of his shot. Maybe they were making up for passing on Kaliyev but it was a poor reason to draft Perreault if that was the case. As much as I criticize PV's drafting, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have passed on Perreault.

And not everyone was pissed about passing on Kaliyev. His skating issues were real. I think most people were just stunned that they took Tracey. Although, in hindsight, almost any pick - Kaliyev included - would have been better than Tracey.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

View attachment 831423

• 2020-21
  • 2021-22
  • 2022-23
  • 2023-24

Players who are truly NHL calibre find ways to get there regardless of the coach. I actually think the fact that he did have a few different coaches almost makes it look worse because at least one of those guys (perhaps more) almost certainly knew how to use him. I’m confident Mcilvane knows what he’s doing when I see guys like Zell and Regenda doing well.

Honestly I think that’s why Perreault was finally traded this year. You can make a good argument that even last year would’ve been appropriate to cut the cord, there was just nothing too exciting happening with him and he would’ve had 2.5 years of AHL experience. Now with Pat having his own guy SD, and Perreault still not showing much, it was the final straw I’m guessing.

Last edited:

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Players who are truly NHL calibre find ways to get there regardless of the coach. I actually think the fact that he did have a few different coaches almost makes it look worse because at least one of those guys (perhaps more) almost certainly knew how to use him. I’m confident Mcilvane knows what he’s doing when I see guys like Zell and Regenda doing well.

Honestly I think that’s why Perreault was finally traded this year. You can make a good argument that even last year would’ve been appropriate to cut the cord, there was just nothing too exciting happening with him and he would’ve had 2.5 years of AHL experience. Now with Pat having his own guy SD, and Perreault still not showing much, it was the final straw I’m guessing.

Even with the caveat of his first year looking like his best year, I still contend that the big mistake with Perreault was keeping him with San Diego in his age 20 season instead of sending him back to Sarnia and letting him dominate juniors while working on the other facets of his game.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Here's what Wheeler said back in January of 2023 about Mysak in his prospect rankings:

10. Jan Mysak, C/LW, 20 (Laval Rocket)
I’ve watched a lot of Jan Mysak over the years and I thought, after his dominant standout performance at this summer’s world juniors that he was going to step back into the AHL for a second stint with Laval and figure it out. That didn’t mean become a top point producer and enter the call-up conversation or anything. Though it feels like he has been around forever, his summer birthday means that he just turned 20 at the end of June. But I thought he’d be a regular contributor and build from there.

One of my favourites from the 2020 draft, Mysak is someone I was admittedly a little too high on. But he still has a lot of endearing qualities and pro tools. He’s an attacking player who can make individual skill plays and works hard off the puck to stay above it, fulfill his defensive responsibilities, and make things happen on the penalty kill (he was one of the most dangerous players in the OHL short-handed).

He’s always driving, attacking the net and cutting to the inside. He enters the zone on angles. He can make soft little plays through a layer or two. When he’s looking to get off the perimeter, he’s a highly-entertaining player whose game is dynamic one-on-one and has shown time and time again an ability to break a game open with a flash of skill against his peers, whether that’s a dash to the net, a slick deke, or a heavy wrister from mid-range. Though his production didn’t pop last year in Hamilton, it would have on any team other than Hamilton (where he was the third-line centre behind Mason McTavish and Logan Morrison on the OHL champions).

He attacks in waves, plays a straight-line game (I’d like to see his game flash east-to-west a little more), is quick from a standstill (and through his stride to an impressive top speed), and uses space well when he doesn’t have the puck. He’s also just as dangerous off the rush as he is inside the offensive zone.

He’s not a sure thing but he’s a better player than the numbers suggest and I’ve always admired his effort level on the forecheck even when the points aren’t coming. I still believe, with the pace he’s capable of playing at, his ability to stay around it, his commitment off the puck, and his skill level (he’s got the quick release, he’s got the soft touch on his forehand and backhand passes, etc.), that he’s going to figure it out and work his way into the call-up conversation eventually. Some of his struggles producing in the AHL are about opportunity. Some of it, I think, is him just needing to get out of his head.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Perreault always reminded me of Rakell, and now I can add “getting traded by Pat Verbeek” to the list of similarities
not a bad comparison, but I think there are two significant differences. Raks was far ahead of where Perreault is at the same age. 1) I think the Ducks really let Rakell take his time and it paid off - They didn’t need to push Perreault into the AHL that soon, same with Drysdale. 2) I think Rakell is a pretty bright player especially offensively. (The funny thing about him is people were saying he’d be a good defensive player but his offense was questioned, when in fact it kinda turned out to be the complete opposite for him). I don’t think Perreault thinks the game like Raks did, who was a pretty good playmaker as well.

Motivationally they could be seen as similar I guess, but Raks would step it up when he got to play with Getz.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He was solid for the Dogs but started to slow down in his last year due to injuries.

I think he has a scoring touch that he can improve on if given the right spot. Maybe he can work out with McTavish in the off season

Mysak always was kinda the invisible man in Hamilton. Bulldogs had much more gifted players on their roster who were running the show while Mysak was sometimes barely noticeable just to then randomly score a couple of goals out of nowhere. Very good against the puck but kind of a black hole with the puck. He's very efficient though when getting opportunities. Very good shot as well. Not creative at all but can definitely score goals. Will he be an NHLer? I don't know. But given his playing style I think there's a chance he could carve out a nice little career as a role player and grinder.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Feel there is a little bit of revisionist history on Perreault, yes there were some question marks (and there always is once you're outside of the first few picks) but his offensive upside was really high if he figured it out.

69 goals across 120 OHL games when he hadn't even turned 18 is really impressive.

COVID really screwed with his development pathway, and despite that even by the end of 2022 it looked like he had taken steps forward given he was playing as a 18/19 year old in the AHL (54 points across 82 AHL games). But the last 1.75 seasons have been really bad for him and he just never kicked on.

Given our lack of game breaking talent, don't mind taking a swing there as Perreault would have been that if it worked out, just too bad he was a project that was having to develop in the toughest time in recent NHL history.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Except that the red flag for Perreault was motivation (i.e. laziness) issues. In other words, a poor work ethic. The Ducks went for need and took him b/c of his shot. Maybe they were making up for passing on Kaliyev but it was a poor reason to draft Perreault if that was the case. As much as I criticize PV's drafting, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have passed on Perreault.

And not everyone was pissed about passing on Kaliyev. His skating issues were real. I think most people were just stunned that they took Tracey. Although, in hindsight, almost any pick - Kaliyev included - would have been better than Tracey.

Perreault had top-10 talent, but the lack of motor playing defense wasn't there in juniors pre-draft. Perreault's got a great shot, sneaky passing, and has wheels. We got him at 27th overall, which is a good gamble.

When Perreault got here, there were never any issues of laziness. The problem Perreault ran into was being 18-years old in the AHL due to the OHL not re-opening. Perreault got injured in his D+1 season, but he still was able to put up a 0.63 ppg rate as an 18-year old. His 19-year old season, D+2, he had a 0.67 ppg rate in 55 games. He got called up to the NHL for a game as a reward, which Tracey did too. (Tracey went from 0 pts in 12 games to 31 pts in 55 games, a0.56 ppg rate.)

Everything is pointing upwards for Perreault and Tracey at the end of the 2021-22 season. Verbeek took charge of the org at All-star break. The AHL roster and team got worse. Perreault and Tracey are complementary wingers and the Gulls didn't have top talent to help those two out. When BO Groulx is your 1C, then you know you've f***ed up.

Again, there was developing talent with Perreault and Tracey until Verbeek became GM. Both of their careers headed downwards in ensuing seasons. I'd say our org let those two down in development, but Perreault has not been a durable player. Is Perreault's durability the lack of training in the off-season or what?

Tracey's been durable and has expanded his game to play as a 3rd liner. His defense has improved between last year and this year. Murray took a big swing on Tracey, passing on Kaliyev in the 2019 draft. I can't say anything b/c I wanted Thrun at 29th overall. We still got Thrun, but in the 4th round. What a drop for Thrun b/c of slow skating issues.

Reactions: forever1922

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Perreault had top-10 talent, but the lack of motor playing defense wasn't there in juniors pre-draft. Perreault's got a great shot, sneaky passing, and has wheels. We got him at 27th overall, which is a good gamble.

When Perreault got here, there were never any issues of laziness. The problem Perreault ran into was being 18-years old in the AHL due to the OHL not re-opening. Perreault got injured in his D+1 season, but he still was able to put up a 0.63 ppg rate as an 18-year old. His 19-year old season, D+2, he had a 0.67 ppg rate in 55 games. He got called up to the NHL for a game as a reward, which Tracey did too. (Tracey went from 0 pts in 12 games to 31 pts in 55 games, a0.56 ppg rate.)

Everything is pointing upwards for Perreault and Tracey at the end of the 2021-22 season. Verbeek took charge of the org at All-star break. The AHL roster and team got worse. Perreault and Tracey are complementary wingers and the Gulls didn't have top talent to help those two out. When BO Groulx is your 1C, then you know you've f***ed up.

Again, there was developing talent with Perreault and Tracey until Verbeek became GM. Both of their careers headed downwards in ensuing seasons. I'd say our org let those two down in development, but Perreault has not been a durable player. Is Perreault's durability the lack of training in the off-season or what?

Tracey's been durable and has expanded his game to play as a 3rd liner. His defense has improved between last year and this year. Murray took a big swing on Tracey, passing on Kaliyev in the 2019 draft. I can't say anything b/c I wanted Thrun at 29th overall. We still got Thrun, but in the 4th round. What a drop for Thrun b/c of slow skating issues.
I'll grant that covid and the OHL shutting down really put Perreault and the Ducks in a difficult situation. He shouldn't have been playing pro hockey at 18 but there was really no alternative. The Ducks would have probably been better suited sending him back to junior for his D+2 season IMO. Whatever the situation, he clearly wasn't progressing and PV cut bait without getting much back. Less than 4 years after being drafted he's a bust.

Reactions: Kalv

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland

I'll take it one step further, to me Verbeeks biggest failure is the way the Gulls was handled during the regime change. It was left in a blindspot or maybe they expected too much out of their guys.

It likely hurt Perreault the most along with covid but eventually he should have made strides to improve and he didn't. For Perreault, best case he simply soured on the situation and the change helps him.

The list of all Ducks forward picks is so demoralizing, what's one more to leave the franchise.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Neither of them is looking like an offensive producer at the next level, so I'd rather have the guy who has traits that may lend to a depth role. The most likely result is a nothing for nothing trade.

I'd rather just have the better player. Even if it's "just" for SD.

Reactions: AngelDuck

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This also better balances out SD, if you look at the young guys who are going to be on the team next year, they could have Tracey, Pastujov, Nesterenko, Regenda, Caulfield, King, Myatovic, Hvidston, Pitre, and Sidorov all at wing and only Gaucher, Mysak, and Lopina at C

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
This also better balances out SD, if you look at the young guys who are going to be on the team next year, they could have Tracey, Pastujov, Nesterenko, Regenda, Caulfield, King, Myatovic, Hvidston, Pitre, and Sidorov all at wing and only Gaucher, Mysak, and Lopina at C
Isn’t regenda a ufa this season could’ve sworn his contract was only two years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad