Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Ducks sign John Gibson (8 years, $6.4M AAV)

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
8 years on a goalie is a gamble. But so is taking any risks in not having your starter locked up. At 25 it isn't as risky and makes sure he's a stable presence in the net as the cap goes up. Not surprised they went for it.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Usually not a fan of term deals for goalies, due to many of their very large ebbs and flows in quality of play, but love it for John. He has been very good or elite in his play since he was about 18, so I don’t see why that would change. Also, glad to get this deal don’t before bobrovosky’s next contract.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Eeesshh. Imagine signing a Reimer or Bernier to that deal? Anyone looks decent behind the ducks defense but 8 years for a guy who can't stay healthy? I mean both Hiller and Berra had better stats than him. Just an awful, awful deal. It means they are stuck with him now.

Never mind how mentally weak he is IMO.

Difference is Holtby is arguably the best playoff goalie around. Gibson chokes every year in the playoffs.
And yet behind the same defence Gibson significantly outplayed Bernier when they were both on the Ducks in 16-17 as well as being significantly better in the playoffs then Bernier that year until he got injured late in the Nashville series.

Also I'm not sure where Gibson is a playoff choker came from. He came in cold as a rookie mid-series and nearly stole the series against the Kings, and outside of Game 3 was the only season why Anaeim weren't blown out in every game v San Jose. He's had 1 extended playoff run where he was good (albeit struggling during the Edmonton series) other then that he's been pretty solid.

Also injuries are a concern yes - however he was top 10 in the NHL last season for games played and minutes played. So he seemed to be fine at staying healthy last season after changing some things up in his off-season routine.

Reactions: branmuffin17

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Eeesshh. Imagine signing a Reimer or Bernier to that deal? Anyone looks decent behind the ducks defense but 8 years for a guy who can't stay healthy? I mean both Hiller and Berra had better stats than him. Just an awful, awful deal. It means they are stuck with him now.

Difference is Holtby is arguably the best playoff goalie around. Gibson chokes every year in the playoffs.
I’m assuming this post is a joke

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
8 years on a goalie is a gamble. But so is taking any risks in not having your starter locked up. At 25 it isn't as risky and makes sure he's a stable presence in the net as the cap goes up. Not surprised they went for it.

I agree here.

Risky to go long on a goalie, but if you're going to, doing it on a younger guy like Gibson who has put up top-shelf numbers consistently is the best bet.

Reactions: CamelToews

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I really like what the Ducks did here compared to how Bobrovsky and Price will be/were handled (far higher cap hit for goalies starting at age 30). Gibson is already a top 3 goalie in the league over the past few seasons.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Its not a great deal but it's a fair deal. Gibson is legit, and the term brings down the AAV. Could probably argue the term was a bit much though.

There is a goalie or two in this league that is signed for a lot more and in comparison, this would be a great deal.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
this contract is going to look like a steal in 2 seasons. gibson is legit. signed through his entire prime at 6. wow. nice deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Okay? That doesn't address the fact that Gibson took slightly more at the same age while putting up extremely comparable numbers, all when the cap is a lot higher now.

Oct 18, 2011
He literally just turned 25 and last year he was arguably the best goalie in the league according to some of the more metric based stats. It may be a year or two long but you're locking him up in his prime for a below market AAV

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
This is certainly a risky move, especially since Gibson has had some health concerns.

However, it still amazes me when people act like Gibson isn't already one of the best goalies in the league and could become even better.

How many goalies in NHL history can boast a .923 SV% through their first 178 games? Not many, I presume.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside
Oct 18, 2011
signing a top 5 goalie going forward that literally kept our team afloat with the most injuries and games lost to injuries last season... as well as bieksa and beauchemin in front of him the whole time
You're dealing with people who don't follow the team. Gibson made a bad performing team a playoff team last year

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015

I’ll take uninformed hockey fan for $100, Alex.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
having your #1 making only that much is a big win, especially towards the end when the cap will be probably be much higher.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego

What a truly awful post but considering the source I'm not surprised.

Gibson has had some interesting injury issues but he's still played 112 regular season games the past two years while posting a .924 sv% and a .926 sv%. Those are elite numbers.

As for the defense making him look good, maybe you should look at the high danger scoring chances from last year and notice who had the highest save percentage in the league for those types of chances. Our top-4 defenders are quality players but our system is god awful and Gibson is the only reason we stayed afloat.

Gibson should have placed 2nd in Vezina voting last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad