Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Ducks sign Adam Henrique (5yr/5.85AAV)

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Devils receive a draft pick from ducks now

That’s completely fine. If Henrique didn’t sign we would have only 1 center in Getzlaf. Murray put himself in this position. Now we need to find two more bottom 6 centers.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Seems like a lot but he’s in his prime

Ducks don’t have an option. We literally have no centers on this team outside Henrique and Getzlaf. I’m surprised his agent didn’t want 6-7 million for him. We are backed in a corner at the moment, and I would have milked as much as I could for Henrique being in the position the team is in.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Ducks don’t have an option. We literally have no centers on this team outside Henrique and Getzlaf. I’m surprised his agent didn’t want 6-7 million for him. We are backed in a corner at the moment, and I would have milked as much as I could for Henrique being in the position the team is in.
What about Sam steel? 3rd line C?

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
This does look good now, it's towards the end of the contract that we'll truly judge this signing/extension. Henrique has been a heck of a player for his draft position and with Kesler possibly being on the edge of a cliff in his career this makes too much sense for Anaheim. (PS, I hope I'm wrong about Kesler, I love him as a player).

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He’s not even close to being ready for the NHL. Dude just literally got out of juniors. Playing Steel immediately is how you get bust prospects like Nick Ritchie.

Such a ridiculous blanket statement, dozens of prospects make it straight from junior each year, some of them a year or two younger than Steel is now.

Seeing as how we only appear to have two healthy returning NHL centers, seems like management might be a lot more willing to give the kid a chance to stick than you are. But they will be basing that off of his play and not some weird generic rule you've made.

Also I should point out that Ritchie began his pro career in the AHL and earned a call up from there.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
What the hell are we talking here. It is not an aweful contract, no discount neither. If a 5y contract for an 28y old 2nd line center is banana, whats a 6.25m per year over 3y for a 37y old winger then (Marleau)?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
A little high, I don't love this but the Ducks didn't have much choice here with Kesler being questionable and the rest of their center depth being young and unproven. It is what it is.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Such a ridiculous blanket statement, dozens of prospects make it straight from junior each year, some of them a year or two younger than Steel is now.

Seeing as how we only appear to have two healthy returning NHL centers, seems like management might be a lot more willing to give the kid a chance to stick than you are. But they will be basing that off of his play and not some weird generic rule you've made.

Also I should point out that Ritchie began his pro career in the AHL and earned a call up from there.

And he busted out even with AHL experience. You want to do that to Steel? A number 30 over all draft pick who hasn’t had a lick of Professional hockey?

This isn’t a top 5 pick we are talking about who can make the jump. This is Sam Steel who still needs to learn the pace of the game compared to juniors in one of the most difficult positions to transition from level wise.

Not sure why other Duck fans are reluctant to even talk about Steel this season, but you want to throw em to the wolves. Bad asset management by you.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
And he busted out even with AHL experience. You want to do that to Steel? A number 30 over all draft pick who hasn’t had a lick of Professional hockey? This isn’t a top 5 pick we are talking about who can make the jump. This is Sam Steel who still needs to learn the pace of the game compared to juniors in one of the most difficult positions to transition from level wise.

Not sure why other Duck fans are reluctant to even talk about Steel this season, but you want to throw em to the wolves. Bad asset management by you.

At no point have I definitely stated that Steel is ready for sure. It's a wait and see situation based on his performance in camp. It's certainly not an arbitrary decision based on his age. If you have actually watched him play and have some sort of analysis to share as to why he's not ready that would be different, but you're just blowing hot air at the moment.

You missed the point about the Ritchie comment. You're trying to use him as an example of a prospect that was rushed straight from junior, and he didn't even come straight from junior.

Reactions: Vipers31

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He’s not even close to being ready for the NHL. Dude just literally got out of juniors. Playing Steel immediately is how you get bust prospects like Nick Ritchie.
This is a horrible post, all around. Ritchie has 0 hockey sense and Sam steel is one if not the highest hockey iq prospect in the league.

If he is ready he'll play if he's not he won't it has nothing to do with where he played last season.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
And he busted out even with AHL experience. You want to do that to Steel? A number 30 over all draft pick who hasn’t had a lick of Professional hockey?

This isn’t a top 5 pick we are talking about who can make the jump. This is Sam Steel who still needs to learn the pace of the game compared to juniors in one of the most difficult positions to transition from level wise.

There are 11 skaters who were drafted outside of the top 5 in Steel's draft, that already have at least a half season under their belt in the NHL. Your point is extremely misguided.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
There are 11 skaters who were drafted outside of the top 5 in Steel's draft, that already have at least a half season under their belt in the NHL. Your point is extremely misguided.

I would also add that Steel isn't a typical 30th overall prospect either. I believe it was last year that Pronman had him ranked as the 15th overall prospect in the entire league. Right around where Pierre-Luc Dubois was ranked who was a top 5 pick and just had a 48 pt rookie season coming straight out of Jr. I don't expect that from Steel and to do so is silly but to say he has no chance of filling in on the 3rd line for 12-14 minutes of ES hockey is just as silly. Bad asset management is spending assets on players you don't know if you need. Given a healthy roster I expect Steel to be in the AHL most of the season but a lot of that depends on Kesler which no one knows anything about.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I would also add that Steel isn't a typical 30th overall prospect either. I believe it was last year that Pronman had him ranked as the 15th overall prospect in the entire league. Right around where Pierre-Luc Dubois was ranked who was a top 5 pick and just had a 48 pt rookie season coming straight out of Jr. I don't expect that from Steel and to do so is silly but to say he has no chance of filling in on the 3rd line for 12-14 minutes of ES hockey is just as silly. Bad asset management is spending assets on players you don't know if you need. Given a healthy roster I expect Steel to be in the AHL most of the season but a lot of that depends on Kesler which no one knows anything about.
The Man of Steel will surprise us all lol. In addition to Sam Steel, the actor who plays Superman 'Man of Steel' on Supergirl is a Ducks fan for real.

Last edited:

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

And majority of the 30 draft picks first round in total went to the AHL or European equivalent league. Your opinion is extremely misguided. Or do I need to list them all off to you? Not sure why you're trying to rush a prospect when it doesn't need to be rushed.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
And majority of the 30 draft picks first round in total went to the AHL or European equivalent league. Your opinion is extremely misguided. Or do I need to list them all off to you? Not sure why you're trying to rush a prospect when it doesn't need to be rushed.

I'm not just talking about first rounders. There are undersized second rounders from that draft who are already successfully playing in the NHL straight out of junior, do you need me to list them for you?

I'm not sure how many times I can repeat that I'm not suggesting we rush Steel, before it finally registers. I'm saying he'll be given a chance to prove he belongs, and won't arbitrarily be excluded for consideration just because he played junior last year.

He's either ready, or he's not, but he's not automatically AHL bound just because you say so. Going to have to come up with some actually tangible reasoning if you want to be taken seriously.

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
Sam was not a "Steel" of a Draft Pick (Lmao). He is a "Steel" of an iron bar on his skates. No speed. No turning. He will not Compete at the Top level of the Game.

So, put him a 4rd line center and see what happens. Not a good idea.

Henrick is also a bad player. Ducks will be Ducks - "Let's Go Visit Micky Mouse Dude"

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Sam was not a "Steel" of a Draft Pick (Lmao). He is a "Steel" of an iron bar on his skates. No speed. No turning. He will not Compete at the Top level of the Game.

So, put him a 4rd line center and see what happens. Not a good idea.

Henrick is also a bad player. Ducks will be Ducks - "Let's Go Visit Micky Mouse Dude"

4rd line center.... Henrick... you really are a genius!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad