Claimed off Waivers: [ANA] Ducks claim F Ross Johnston off waivers from the Islanders

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Didn’t realize he was still playing today. It’s not like the game has changed or anything since he last played…
Go back and read above: “Maybe not nowadays, but in the past hall of famers such as Wayne Gretzky and Teemu Selanne have spoken positively about the protection they received from enforcers.”

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Glad Terry will be protected this year.

troy-terrys-face-after-fighting-jay-beagle-last-night-v0-9wop5l3u16r81.jpg

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It'll do Johnston good to head to a team that has a very specific role and need for what he offers. He also moves well enough and can play at a certain modicum such that he's not simply a liability when on the ice. Perhaps he can even do more in an expanded role?

Everyone in Islanderville appreciated his ability and willingnees to go long stretches out of the line-up only to be inserted for spot duty, usually with a specific job in mind.

He's certainly very vocal on the ice and can yap with the best of them. He'll rile opponents up and seems to keep them somewhat honest too.

Unfortunately, after looking like a possible top 3 fighter in the league in his first few seasons, he took a surprisingly clear loss in a tilt against Sam Morin of the Flyers a few seasons back, suffering an injury in the process. Frankly, he hasn't looked the same since.

In fact, I don't think he's clearly won an altercation since then, including two this preseason.

This said, the Isles were over the cap heading towards roster finalization. Something had to budge. Hard to think Lamoriello would have placed Johnston on waivers if things hadn't gone from push to shove. By him being claimed, and in sending Holmstrom to the AHL (still on his ELC and thus, waiver-exempt), the team is currently 1.39 MM under the cap on opening night.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Good for him. I guess he was able to trick an organization into paying him hundreds of thousands of dollars. What a loser.

Where are Kahun and Rieder? Not playing in the NHL while Johnston gets those coveted cheques.
Haha, you really got me!

• Haha
Reactions: MXD

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The idea that goons actually protected guys back in the day has little evidence to support it. In today's game it's comically absurd. There were numerous times where Ross would confront a guy and the refs (knowing he was a goon) would give him a game misconduct as a preemptive strike.

I agree with you as a fan, but there seems to be quite a bit of player evidence in favor of enforcers on their teams. Avs players for instance commenting on the value MacDermid brings even though he's a liability on skates.

You don't tend to see players advocating for the useless plugs on the roster too often unless they're an enforcer or a tenured vet.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Anaheim is notorious for being in the top 10 for like the last decade plus every year for most penalty minutes. There are some seasons when they were the #1 most penalized team and many in the top 5. It seems odd they brought this guy in when they got Gudas this summer. It really was a bad move by Lou signing him to that deal but atleast Anaheim took him off the Islanders hands for nothing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Impossible. HF told me that this contract was awful and only the stupid Islanders and senile Lou would consider it.
4 years for a face puncher is terrible. But at least the whole of his cap hit can be buried, unlike the Flyers overpaid goon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad