Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Drew Helleson signs ELC with the Ducks

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
14a.jpg

Reactions: LuGBuG

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
It will be a real win-win if Col wins the cup and Manson signs a team friendly deal with the Ducks in the offseason.

Nah, we're gonna regret giving you Helleson as it is, unless we win the cup. If Manson signs back with you guys, it'll be a clear win for you either way.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Nah, we're gonna regret giving you Helleson as it is, unless we win the cup. If Manson signs back with you guys, it'll be a clear win for you either way.
You're kidding right.... Owners would trade for all rentals if it guaranteed them the cup....

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
he had another year of eligibility.

i think he wanted to sign and burn year 1 and Colorado didn’t want that. He said..I’ll go back and be a UFA in august23
on top of that Colorado is locked on 1D and they have a younger higher drafted RDprospect. That one will get more chases than him.
Colorado haven't had an issue with burning a year for several of their other college prospects like Makar, Ranta, and Newhook, so I doubt it would have been an issue with Helleson had the Avs not decided to trade him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don't see Manson coming back. Verbeek has made it clear he doesn't see him as part of the future. He saw a long term replacement in Helleson, likely was able to talk to his camp, who was interested in signing with Anaheim, since he would get an opportunity. I read that Verbeek didn't even negotiate with Manson. So doubt he comes back. This all happened so quickly but was so planned.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I didn’t say he wasn’t going to sign with them or he was a senior. Just seeing arguing back and forth about him signing and am happy he signed in Anaheim fast.

Congrats on the quick Helleson signing.

IMO the AVs DMen depth presented a challenge to reaching the NHL. I don't believe burning a year was the issue, it was the makeup of the team that could delay reaching the league. Future lineup could be as follows:

Byram - Makar
Girard - Barron
Behrens - Helleson

EJ leaves the team. Toews is likely priced out after his contract ends. Girard can play both L/R. Barron is a 2-way player the AVs like to deploy. He's also in the AHL being ahead in development. Another possibility, signing a 3-4 year deal for a RHD leaving the bottom pairing between Barron vs Helleson.

Don't really like losing Helleson unless Manson extends or AVs win the Cup. Not surprised Ducks successfully signed quickly, you have a nice prospect that is trending upwards.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't see Manson coming back. Verbeek has made it clear he doesn't see him as part of the future. He saw a long term replacement in Helleson, likely was able to talk to his camp, who was interested in signing with Anaheim, since he would get an opportunity. I read that Verbeek didn't even negotiate with Manson. So doubt he comes back. This all happened so quickly but was so planned.

Would love for this to be true, because he fits into the Avs age group and salary structure. I have no doubts that Sakic will be interested in re-signing him this summer. Really I think that's how he does most of his trades, either they're cheap to acquire or they're a rental that can potentially fit into the long-term plans.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would love for this to be true, because he fits into the Avs age group and salary structure. I have no doubts that Sakic will be interested in re-signing him this summer. Really I think that's how he does most of his trades, either they're cheap to acquire or they're a rental that can potentially fit into the long-term plans.

Manson was traded quickly or first, because Verbeek knew what he wanted and is shaping the future. He did the scouting, was likely granted permission to talk to Helleson's camp and get a deal done so quickly after the trade. Been reading up on Helleson, and yeah he is a 20 yo Manson, maybe not as physical but has a lot more offensive potential. He is an ideal partner for Fowler or Zellweger down the road. Just need to find a partner for Drysdale if Lindholm is not re-signed. I still have hope.

Anyway, the Avs are contending now and cannot wait 2 or 3 years for this kid to develop even if he does becomes a #3 or #4 solid D. This trade was excellent for both sides.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Manson was traded quickly or first, because Verbeek knew what he wanted and is shaping the future. He did the scouting, was likely granted permission to talk to Helleson's camp and get a deal done so quickly after the trade. Been reading up on Helleson, and yeah he is a 20 yo Manson, maybe not as physical but has a lot more offensive potential. He is an ideal partner for Fowler or Zellweger down the road. Just need to find a partner for Drysdale if Lindholm is not re-signed. I still have hope.

Anyway, the Avs are contending now and cannot wait 2 or 3 years for this kid to develop even if he does becomes a #3 or #4 solid D. This trade was excellent for both sides.

He's probably not going to be an ideal top pair guy, but maybe Thrun with Drysdale (down the line a bit). Ducks may have to go with 3 good pairs rather than having a true #1 pair. Actually, they may end up having that throughout the lineup, just be able to roll everyone line/pair.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
But you get a cup out of it lol.

You're kidding right.... Owners would trade for all rentals if it guaranteed them the cup....

Well no rental is a guaranteed cup and even then it's not like valuable asset losses don't sting in the future. It sucked giving away Regehr for one run of Fleury. Or Vrbata for Battaglia. Even in the trades that worked out, the pieces going the other way were often missed like Deadmarsh for Blake, Nolan for Ozolinsh, Sundin -> Clark -> Claude Lemieux etc. Pierre lacroix was trigger happy af back in the day. I think Helleson is going to have a long, and successful career as a top 4 guy so hopefully its not another Regehr situation for us

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I didn’t say he wasn’t going to sign with them or he was a senior. Just seeing arguing back and forth about him signing and am happy he signed in Anaheim fast.
Relax buddy, have a green beer. I was just letting you know he didn't need to sign until next year if you weren't aware.

• Haha

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Well, per the latest Friedman 32 thoughts Colorado wasn't convinced Helleson would actually sign for then, so I suppose the trade makes even more sense all around now:
Colorado, part of the Josh Manson package that went to Anaheim, had a sense Drew Helleson was unsure about his future because they are loaded with good young defenders.

Guessing he'll get an opportunity sooner rather than later in Anaheim, and guessing the Avs let the Ducks talk to him first given how quickly he did sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad