Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Drew Helleson signs ELC with the Ducks

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really great news. He is definitely going to get the opportunity in Anaheim!

Welcome to the Ducks, Hellboy!

Oct 18, 2011
They most certainly did. Ducks probably guaranteed a fast track to NHL, which is something he'd never get with the Avs.
I don't know about this Verbeek is on record saying he rather guys spend more time in the minors rather than rushing them...there are worse places to be than San Diego as a 21 year old guy I'll say

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
he had another year of eligibility.

i think he wanted to sign and burn year 1 and Colorado didn’t want that. He said..I’ll go back and be a UFA in august23
on top of that Colorado is locked on 1D and they have a younger higher drafted RDprospect. That one will get more chases than him.

Latest report is the ELC starts in 2022-23.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Latest report is the ELC starts in 2022-23.
A lot of people assuming things here, but in the end he likely just sees an opportunity in ANA sooner than one in COL. I wish they'd just wipe out the silly college exemption.

Last edited:

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
What if he was going to sign after his junior year anyway? With the Avs.

Maybe they traded him to get Manson, and Anaheim knew he wanted a pro contract?

Reactions: Boo Boo

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Some of the crazy drama and speculation around this kid’s signing today is ludicrous.

Helleson isn’t Eichel or Middlestedt coming out of a college program and wanting to burn a year of his ELC. He’s not a Danny Dekeyser or Tory Krug who were sitting on 15 different offers with some teams using the burning of an ELC year as a bone to sign.

He’s just a kid who still has a lot of work to do if he wants to become an everyday NHLer. If he gets some NHL time this year, and does burn a year, great for him.

The chance of some grand conspiracy just doesn’t fit reality here.

The one thing that would be fair speculation normally, and it does happen more than people would think, is teams sometime want a player to play another year in college due to their own contract levels, which I’ve seen 100 times before.

That doesn’t appear to be the case as the Avs only have 46 contracts on the books, and have plenty of room for next year.

He was a 2nd round pick who, even though he’s only played 80 games since being drafted 3 years ago, has shown the development you look for. It would be one thing if he hadn’t shown what he has. Fact is, the kid has earned his first pro contract and every team in the league would’ve signed him this signing period. It gives teams much more control developing players.

It’s also very rare that a drafted player would force a trade to a team that would see his track to the NHL being easier. These players have loads of confidence in their own abilities. It’s why they’ve made it as far as they have.

So it doesn’t always have to be some invented drama to either downgrade a prospect after he’s been dealt, prop up the managers making the trade, or any other craziness.

The kid looks to have a future in the National League. This was a good trade for both teams. It doesn’t mean Helleson has something wrong with him, or that Verbeek fleeced Sakic, or some other crazy thing. That was about what Manson was going to return as a rental.

Colorado was able to give Anaheim what they were after due to their current depth. Exactly why the deal was made prior to the deadline.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I think you can look at the bluelines of both teams and see that the clearer path to the NHL is with the Ducks, who realistically only have Drysdale ahead of him. That stated, I agree with the above that there likely is no conspiracy theory. Using Occam's razor it's more likely that he was coveted by Verbeek as opposed to him wanting to test FA because of Colorado.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I don’t get it, why is it avs fans think he would t have signed in Co. I’d put good money on it that Colorado knew they were gonna use him as a all in piece which is why they didn’t sign a contract. It definitely appears that helleson wanted that contract.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Pumped he signed in Anaheim so quick. Also if he wasn’t going to sign in Colorado Avs fans should be even happier.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Best of luck to Helleson. I like him as a prospect. I think he can play a Pesce type role on a team, being a solid partner to someone who just need someone to play a responsible type of hockey.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Best of luck to Helleson. I like him as a prospect. I think he can play a Pesce type role on a team, being a solid partner to someone who just need someone to play a responsible type of hockey.
Zellweger...

Reactions: lwvs84

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I agree, Pesce seems like a good comparison. That would be a huge win if he can be a mobile shutdown guy who can chip in offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad