Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Drew Helleson signs ELC with the Ducks

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Definitely makes me wonder if he told the Avs he wouldn’t sign without a roster spot guarantee. Very quick signing

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I mean... It's an ELC, I think contract negotiations are a little easier there as you're pretty limited in what you can offer. It's more or less just if he wanted to sign in Anaheim.

Whether or not he was willing to sign this year was likely of great importance to the Ducks, because otherwise he's returning as a senior and potentially becoming a free agent thereafter.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Doubt the Avs were willing to burn a year for him this season, but think he is capable of playing out the year at the pro level.

will gain quality experience if he plays some sheltered 3rd pairing NHL minutes.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Doubt the Avs were willing to burn a year for him this season, but think he is capable of playing out the year at the pro level.

will gain quality experience if he plays some sheltered 3rd pairing NHL minutes.

There is no shelter on the Ducks and only 3rd pairings once Lindholm is traded :laugh: ... :help: Actually, Fowler's pair is probably going to be the top pair.

He'll likely go to San Diego and play with the Gulls... their defense has been pretty bad most nights, he can probably step in to the top 4 at the AHL level (hopefully).

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I think this strongly suggests that Helleson wasn’t planning on signing with Colorado and would have walked.

So definitely a smart move by both GMs. Excited to see him crack the NHL in Anaheim.

I think Colorado wouldn't have let him burn a year off his ELC where as Anaheim is likely going to let him. Probably came down to that.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Have to wonder if the Avs allowed the Ducks to chat with Helleson's agent prior to making the trade yesterday.
They most certainly did. Ducks probably guaranteed a fast track to NHL, which is something he'd never get with the Avs.

Reactions: Dog

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I think Colorado wouldn't have let him burn a year off his ELC where as Anaheim is likely going to let him. Probably came down to that.
Very possible as well. However Anaheim isn’t completely out of the playoff picture yet. Could be one of those addition by subtraction situations for them and they don’t end up bringing up a prospect while they make a push.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Very possible as well. However Anaheim isn’t completely out of the playoff picture yet. Could be one of those addition by subtraction situations for them and they don’t end up bringing up a prospect while they make a push.
lol.. Slim chance they make it..

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I mean... It's an ELC, I think contract negotiations are a little easier there as you're pretty limited in what you can offer. It's more or less just if he wanted to sign in Anaheim.
Being that he could have walked away and been a UFA in a few months, I think that’s what they are referring to.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think this strongly suggests that Helleson wasn’t planning on signing with Colorado and would have walked.

So definitely a smart move by both GMs. Excited to see him crack the NHL in Anaheim.

he had another year of eligibility.

i think he wanted to sign and burn year 1 and Colorado didn’t want that. He said..I’ll go back and be a UFA in august23
on top of that Colorado is locked on 1D and they have a younger higher drafted RDprospect. That one will get more chases than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad