Confirmed Trade: [ANA/CBJ] Devin Shore for Sonny Milano

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I know he hit the puck at a downward angle but wasn't his stick above the goal at the point of contact?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Sometimes it takes guys awhile to figure it out, glad to see Milano is putting together a great season. Anyone that watched him in his draft year and the year after in the OHL knows about how skilled he is

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
It looked like it to me but it was REALLY close. Even as a Sabres fan, I'm glad they allowed it. Just amazing.

PS: Asplund was napping on that play. That play would not have been remotely possible if he plays decent beer league defense.

I know he hit the puck at a downward angle but wasn't his stick above the goal at the point of contact?

Reactions: elitepete

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

The officials ruled it a goal and that replay was inconclusive. It's close, but it stands. It was fun to see the feed and that it went in.

Reactions: Static

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
As much as credit is due to Zegras for flipping the puck over the net, just as much credit should be given to Milano for being on the same page, paying attention to what Zegras was about to do AND have the ability to execute hitting the puck into the net in mid air.

99% of the time a player in Milano’s position either has no clue what Zegras might try let alone have the ability to pull it off.

Amazing goal all around.

Last edited:

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
As much as credit is due to Zegras for flipping the puck over the net, just as much credit should be given to Milano for being on the same page, paying attention to what Zegras was about to do AND have the ability to execute hitting the puck into the net in mid air.

99% of the time a player in Milano’s position either has no clue what Zegras might try let alone have the ability to pull it off.

Amazing goal all around.
I agree with you. Those two look for each other all game long. I think without the connection they seem to have, that goal probably doesn't happen. Milano has great hands too. We're lucky as a fan base that this is coming together the way it is.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Yeah I think there are a lot of Jackets fans that aren't that surprised that Sonny is a good player. Sometimes you know you have a player that has a lot more in them and they just don't fit.... I get that. I regret the timing though. The post-Torts Jackets are a good place for creative players, it's too bad we could not have Sonny now.

Very well could end up being one of those players you blame Torts for ruining his chances with the Jackets since Torts sees mistakes no one else sees.

He can make plays that few other Jackets could make, has good vision and can be a good assist guy on a team with players who can finish.

One thing is for sure - you’ll probably know when he’s on the ice.

Not sure why there would be any Columbus fans speaking poorly of Milano. I feel like he and Duclair were in similar situations. Flashy, productive, creative, not defensively sound, easily the kind of player to put in the coaches doghouse.

Before the season Torts has said that it wasn’t Sonny’s play without the puck that was the issue it was when he tried to create something from nothing with the puck when the simpler play was there.

Torts really tried to coach the magic out of Sonny. I'm glad he failed.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Milano has sure found a home in Anaheim.

He has excellent chemistry with Zegras, just the players they both needed.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Anaheim has a bright future.
The scary thing is how many young pieces they have, especially at forward. And most of them are contributing at the NHL level.

Zegras
Milano
Terry
Drysdale
Comtois
Lundestrom
Jones
Steel

with Groulx, McTavish, Perrault, Tracey coming up.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah I think there are a lot of Jackets fans that aren't that surprised that Sonny is a good player. Sometimes you know you have a player that has a lot more in them and they just don't fit.... I get that. I regret the timing though. The post-Torts Jackets are a good place for creative players, it's too bad we could not have Sonny now.

Torts really tried to coach the magic out of Sonny. I'm glad he failed.
When we had our version of Torts in Randy Carlyle whom would coach the creativity out of players too, with Dallas Eakins it is a completely different story.
Randy was a real hard ass like Torts. Randy did help us draft Zegras.....the whole team quit on Carlyle and lost 12 games in a row in 2018-19 season.

I think Milano just matured and grew up, there is a lot of players however who won't change (see Nick Ritchie and Daniel Sprong).
Also Milano and Ritchie were both top15 picks in 2014. We completely lost the Ritchie trade to Boston, we should have just drafted Milano but that means he would have played for Carlyle and ended up traded from here as well.

So far no one has hired Carlyle or Torts to coach again.

Last edited:

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
When we had our version of Torts in Randy Carlyle whom would coach the creativity out of players too, with Dallas Eakins it is a completely different story.
Randy was a real hard ass like Torts. Randy did help us draft Zegras.....the whole team quit on Carlyle and lost 12 games in a row in 2018-19 season.

I think Milano just matured and grew up, there is a lot of players however who won't change (see Nick Ritchie and Daniel Sprong).
Also Milano and Ritchie were both top15 picks in 2014. We completely lost the Ritchie trade to Boston, we should have just drafted Milano but that means he would have played for Carlyle and ended up traded from here as well.

So far no one has hired Carlyle or Torts to coach again.

The thing about Torts and Carlyle - it wasn't just the message they delivered, but really the way they did it. By all accounts, they are both complete taskmaster A holes - which worked 25 years ago. For better or worse, it doesn't work with the current generation of players. Even outside of hockey, people will work harder for bosses they respect and like.

The reality is that Eakins said pretty much the same thing to Milano that Torts did - there is a recent Athletic article discussing that. Milano was actually sent down to the AHL even though his preseason play probably earned him a spot. In any event, the player takes criticism very differently when: (i) the player feels like the coach is being fair and trying to help the player (i.e., a reasonable interpersonal relationship exists between the two); and (ii) the coach isn't sucking the life out of the player in a system that prizes safety and structure over creativity. Torts and Carlyle didn't give a crap about any of that and actually prided themselves on being old school red asses. And in Torts case, he seemed to love chatting with the media and discussing what a hard ass he was being (last year with Patrick Laine). Torts' entire ego is predicated on him being a jerk.

If you asked Milano, I'm sure he was convinced Torts hated him, so he didn't take the criticisms to heart because he thought they were unfair. On the other hand, Eakins goes out of his way to show his players he wants them to succeed. And just to be clear, I'm not a huge fan of Eakins - I think he's a mediocre coach. But in the same way Torts and Carlyle pride themselves on being dictators, Eakins prides himself on cultivated relationships with his players. He talks about it a lot.

The other factor is that Milano matured and realized he didn't have many chances left.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The thing about Torts and Carlyle - it wasn't just the message they delivered, but really the way they did it. By all accounts, they are both complete taskmaster A holes - which worked 25 years ago. For better or worse, it doesn't work with the current generation of players. Even outside of hockey, people will work harder for bosses they respect and like.

The reality is that Eakins said pretty much the same thing to Milano that Torts did - there is a recent Athletic article discussing that. Milano was actually sent down to the AHL even though his preseason play probably earned him a spot. In any event, the player takes criticism very differently when: (i) the player feels like the coach is being fair and trying to help the player (i.e., a reasonable interpersonal relationship exists between the two); and (ii) the coach isn't sucking the life out of the player in a system that prizes safety and structure over creativity. Torts and Carlyle didn't give a crap about any of that and actually prided themselves on being old school red asses. And in Torts case, he seemed to love chatting with the media and discussing what a hard ass he was being (last year with Patrick Laine). Torts' entire ego is predicated on him being a jerk.

If you asked Milano, I'm sure he was convinced Torts hated him, so he didn't take the criticisms to heart because he thought they were unfair. On the other hand, Eakins goes out of his way to show his players he wants them to succeed. And just to be clear, I'm not a huge fan of Eakins - I think he's a mediocre coach. But in the same way Torts and Carlyle pride themselves on being dictators, Eakins prides himself on cultivated relationships with his players. He talks about it a lot.

The other factor is that Milano matured and realized he didn't have many chances left.
Well said. That is why i was never a fan of Torts, he's too old school for the younger generation of players.
and Milano has a lot of motivation to keep it up, he gets to be on the Zegras line and earn his payday eventually.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Well said. That is why i was never a fan of Torts, he's too old school for the younger generation of players.
and Milano has a lot of motivation to keep it up, he gets to be on the Zegras line and earn his payday eventually.

From everything we hear from Torts' recent players they actually really appreciate what he did for them. His communication is direct but caring. Even Duclair has nothing but good things to say about him.

It really was Torts' anti-creative message that I'm complaining about. If Eakins was preaching the same thing then perhaps the only difference was that Sonny felt more free to ignore Eakins than Torts.

Actually now that I think of it, Milano has spoken about his relationship with Torts before, here's a snippet. This sounds like a very good player/coach relationship.

o7d9isg6w7e51.png

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
From everything we hear from Torts' recent players they actually really appreciate what he did for them. His communication is direct but caring. Even Duclair has nothing but good things to say about him.

It really was Torts' anti-creative message that I'm complaining about. If Eakins was preaching the same thing then perhaps the only difference was that Sonny felt more free to ignore Eakins than Torts.

Actually now that I think of it, Milano has spoken about his relationship with Torts before, here's a snippet. This sounds like a very good player/coach relationship.

o7d9isg6w7e51.png

What did you expect Milano to say about Torts? Or for that matter Laine to say? The players are smart and classy enough to follow protocol and not bash a former coach.

Some players respond to the Torts/Carlyle approach. Certainly the older guys. I think it also depends on who else is in the leadership group on the team and how long the coach has been there. A player like Getzlaf - who in juniors had some of the same work ethic issues Milano and Laine are criticized for - responded to it. But he's older. And every player is different - its up to a coach to strike the right balance.

The thing I don't like about Torts is that he would take obvious actions (like benching or scratching a player in a noticeable way) and then he spend a lot of time eagerly talking to the press about it. Struck me as ego and game playing (i.e., calling out the player). Carlyle didn't do that type of thing. Torts seemed to revel in the shit show he created.

Reactions: 405Entrance

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Huge props to Eakims

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What did you expect Milano to say about Torts? Or for that matter Laine to say? The players are smart and classy enough to follow protocol and not bash a former coach.

Some players respond to the Torts/Carlyle approach. Certainly the older guys. I think it also depends on who else is in the leadership group on the team and how long the coach has been there. A player like Getzlaf - who in juniors had some of the same work ethic issues Milano and Laine are criticized for - responded to it. But he's older. And every player is different - its up to a coach to strike the right balance.

The thing I don't like about Torts is that he would take obvious actions (like benching or scratching a player in a noticeable way) and then he spend a lot of time eagerly talking to the press about it. Struck me as ego and game playing (i.e., calling out the player). Carlyle didn't do that type of thing. Torts seemed to revel in the shit show he created.

Look I've got all sorts of complaints about Torts but what Sonny just gave you was a lengthy full-throated endorsement of him as a great guy. That's not what you say when you don't like someone and don't feel that you can bash them publicly. You should be able to spot the difference.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Amazing goal all around.
In an interview Zegras said Milano actually told him to do the Michigan when he was behind the net lol. He mentioned theyve done it in practice a few times.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Torts has had some players succeed under him, and some not. It's the coaching style. I've seen some of my favorite Rangers players develop very well under him. I think Milano just needed a change of scenery and Eakins has let him and Zegras be themselves. They've been guilty of some bad coverage and goals against but Eakins has not punished them. Only issue with Eakins is he tends to play the 3rd shutdown line more when they get leads, and that kind of turtling will get you into trouble.

Another thing is, Milano was producing as soon as he walked into Anaheim. Scored a nifty OT goal, and had 6 points in his first 9 games with Anaheim before Z even made his NHL debut. Then had concussion issues which set him back an entire year. Nothing against Columbus, but he needed a change. Hope his good play continues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad