Confirmed Trade: [ANA/CBJ] Devin Shore for Sonny Milano

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
It's easy enough to understand. More than anything the Jackets need bodies and they need guys who'll fit with Torts. Rather than sell Milano for a mid pick they get that in Shore, who's done decently before but just never fit with Eakins for whatever reason.

Shore is a Torts type of player. He's dependable, versatile and a hard worker. He also has a bit more vision/passing skill then you initially expect. Not sure why Eakins didn't like him, but Shore was just fine with the ducks. That being said, Milano is the type of player the Ducks really need. Hopefully Milano is able to grow as a player given a fresh start and opportunity to play a top 6 role - he was on the ducks top line tonight.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Not going to address the first part since Viqsi already dragged you on that one, but the second part is also inaccurate.

He spent 1 full year in the OHL before turning pro. If you're going to debate that he should have stayed in Boston College rather than the OHL, then that's a fair criticism, but this was the players choice not the CBJ.

He spent parts of 5 straight seasons in the AHL, including nearly 2 straight seasons in the minors where he didn't even get more than a cup of coffee in the NHL. He was no longer eligible to go to the minors without waivers this year. He's spent 163 games in the minors. How much more time did he need?
The OHL and WHL are just not a good indicator of NHL performance. The AHL many times are not as well. Now correct me if I am wrong but did he not spend his AHL years at 18 and 19 years of age? And at 20 was in 55 games for the Jackets in 17? Some think the rush to youth is best for the league and at 20 he did have 14 goals but was he ready the organization though so I guess because that still had high hopes until he was injured. Just listening to the play by play guys this year he had fallen from favor I guess they sure did not pump him like they did his first year. Nevertheless I like the guys game I think he is comparable to Sam Reinhart in Buffalo who has taken a while to bloom Reinhart was a #2 overall pick and was expected to come right in and be a 60 point guy and just made it there last season after three full years in the league. Now will Milino make it there maybe maybe not but his offensive game is sure fun to watch. He may flame out just like many others have but IMO the Jackets did not handle the guy right.

Visqi I know you probably disagree but I think the Preds made the same mistake with Fiala he should have been forced to play in Milwaukee at least one more year. Every team is rushing to youth but there are few players that come out of the draft each year that can step into the league and be a sensation. Even the elite players sometime struggle lets look at Nate MacKinnion everyone knew he was going to be a PPG guy when drafted it took him four years to make it to that level. I am in no way Saying Milino is a Mac type guy only saying he was pushed too fast into the league. Injury has set him back as well and he may be 26 now before he meets his full potential in the league.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The OHL and WHL are just not a good indicator of NHL performance. The AHL many times are not as well. Now correct me if I am wrong but did he not spend his AHL years at 18 and 19 years of age? And at 20 was in 55 games for the Jackets in 17? Some think the rush to youth is best for the league and at 20 he did have 14 goals but was he ready the organization though so I guess because that still had high hopes until he was injured. Just listening to the play by play guys this year he had fallen from favor I guess they sure did not pump him like they did his first year. Nevertheless I like the guys game I think he is comparable to Sam Reinhart in Buffalo who has taken a while to bloom Reinhart was a #2 overall pick and was expected to come right in and be a 60 point guy and just made it there last season after three full years in the league. Now will Milino make it there maybe maybe not but his offensive game is sure fun to watch. He may flame out just like many others have but IMO the Jackets did not handle the guy right.

Visqi I know you probably disagree but I think the Preds made the same mistake with Fiala he should have been forced to play in Milwaukee at least one more year. Every team is rushing to youth but there are few players that come out of the draft each year that can step into the league and be a sensation. Even the elite players sometime struggle lets look at Nate MacKinnion everyone knew he was going to be a PPG guy when drafted it took him four years to make it to that level. I am in no way Saying Milino is a Mac type guy only saying he was pushed too fast into the league. Injury has set him back as well and he may be 26 now before he meets his full potential in the league.

Milano spent his 18 year old season in Plymouth of the OHL. Only going to the AHL once that season was completed.

You are correct about his 19 year old season being in the AHL, where he put up 31 points in 54 games on the AHL champion Monsters. He also played in the WJC that year. A pretty good season.

You are also correct about his '17 season.

If the Jackets didn't handle this guy right, how else could they have handled him? One more year in the OHL? Would that have really helped him since he had a pretty good season in the AHL that year?

Oct 18, 2011
do people post stuff like this with intent to be assholes or what? I genuinely don't see any other reason to make posts like this, especially in a mains thread.
Well when you get a bunch of bad posts and then a guy and scores 2 goals that's going to happen, sometimes players just need a change of scenery and get out of an environment that hasn't been good for them, and into a new one, that said it's just one game

Reactions: Tony O

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Well when you get a bunch of bad posts and then a guy and scores 2 goals that's going to happen, sometimes players just need a change of scenery and get out of an environment that hasn't been good for them, and into a new one, that said it's just one game

Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing too many "bad" posts in here. Yeah, there's some with criticism, but most say he has great abilities. I'd wager most CBJ fans were not happy with this deal.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Milano spent his 18 year old season in Plymouth of the OHL. Only going to the AHL once that season was completed.

You are correct about his 19 year old season being in the AHL, where he put up 31 points in 54 games on the AHL champion Monsters. He also played in the WJC that year. A pretty good season.

You are also correct about his '17 season.

If the Jackets didn't handle this guy right, how else could they have handled him? One more year in the OHL? Would that have really helped him since he had a pretty good season in the AHL that year?
Like I said the OHL and WHL are not even in the same universe as the NHL. I would point out a couple players I was real hot on in the WHL Emerson Etem and Linden Vey who in Medicine Hat had 46 goals and 116 points and Etem had 61 goals and 107 points. Vey is now in Russia playing and Etem is buried in the AHL now so I do not put much trust in OHL and WHL numbers. The AHL is slightly better. A pretty good year in the AHL does not warrant a player being ready to come to the NHL. Heck a great year in the AHL most times only assures a player to be 3rd line in the league. Columbus was just like most other teams in the league bringing players up to be under the cap or with no other options to fill the roster. IMO there are not enough quality players to fill the league now and this is putting pressure on teams to bring up guys before they are ready as well. Again I like Milano. And to your question what could the team have done? Like every other team they need to have patience with young players allow them to develop before getting to the league if it takes three years in the AHL so be it then they have another learning curve at the NHL level. What teams do now is bring them up the fans and the team gets frustrated by the time they are 22 or 23 and give up on them trade them and oopp's a year later they mature. Many people call it a change of scenery that makes the difference and there is a little of that but time is the big thing. I did not want to bring up that Milano had 2 goals tonight but someone else did. Hockey is ironic at times don'y ya think.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
We had to even up the wild bill trade with you guys a few years back.

Vegas says “ThankYou”.....,,,

Good for Sonny for having a great debut with the Ducks....... 2 goals..... maybe He will be selected by Seattle in the expansion draft or better yet included in a pre expansion trade with Seattle for expansion considerations.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Never liked the deal for CBJ, but if Milano pans out good for Anaheim. That being said, one game... Milano is far from a proven commodity.

Issue should be with Columbus front office trading another young potenial top six player at the deadline, on a team starving for goals. Not a couple fans happy about their acquisition.

Reactions: Dmang714

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
do people post stuff like this with intent to be assholes or what? I genuinely don't see any other reason to make posts like this, especially in a mains thread.

I don’t think Leo was trying to be (based on history of his posts, he’s typically one of the more cordial Duck posters), but I get what you mean. It’s similar to posters having to declare a winner in a trade. It’s an incredibly stupid habit, but one that’s existed forever on this board.

ideally every trade works out for both teams, but people feel tougher sitting behind a keyboard and like to troll because there are no ramifications. Just a shit byproduct of the internet. Again, I don’t think that was Leo’s intent though.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Ducks fans caught a glimpse of Sonny playing the game he can play, flashing skill and excitement. Now his next game might leave you cursing and shaking your head over a bad turnover. But I think if Ducks fans (and coaches) keep a level head and don’t over-react, Milano will reward your patience. That said, there’s no question he’s a high risk/reward player and for some teams the risk is more than they are willing to accept.

Reactions: cslebn and Viqsi

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
It’s one game from a player looking to make an impression on his new team. He looked good but I’ll wait until next season to proclaim him a good player.

Even if he impresses for the remaining 20 games, they’re all meaningless, plenty of bad players look good when the pressure is off.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t think Leo was trying to be (based on history of his posts, he’s typically one of the more cordial Duck posters), but I get what you mean. It’s similar to posters having to declare a winner in a trade. It’s an incredibly stupid habit, but one that’s existed forever on this board.

ideally every trade works out for both teams, but people feel tougher sitting behind a keyboard and like to troll because there are no ramifications. Just a shit byproduct of the internet. Again, I don’t think that was Leo’s intent though.

Yeah I didn't mean any disrespect, and after the OT goal which is rare for Anaheim these days was excited and grateful for the trade and didn't think things through when I posted that. As per winning the trade, its way too soon to tell who the winners are, but honestly, doesn't matter to me who won or not or who got the better end of the deal, it really only matters what Milano does in Anaheim, and I hope Shore finds success in Columbus.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thought he was the best forward for the Ducks last night.

Either him or Manson were the best players on the Ducks last night. Throw Gibson in as well.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah I didn't mean any disrespect, and after the OT goal which is rare for Anaheim these days was excited and grateful for the trade and didn't think things through when I posted that. As per winning the trade, its way too soon to tell who the winners are, but honestly, doesn't matter to me who won or not or who got the better end of the deal, it really only matters what Milano does in Anaheim, and I hope Shore finds success in Columbus.

If Milano completely flames out, the ducks still win this trade for the simple reason that Shore had literally no future in Anaheim and Shore makes more than Milano. Milano is a free lottery ticket. That doesn't mean its a bad trade for CBJ - it seems like Milano had no future there and Shore has some value as a current NHL player for a team looking to make a playoff push this year.

Reactions: Tony O
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I mean its all fair. I don't really take offense to it, but it does annoy me especially since there really isn't any history between our teams on the ice, in trades, or on HFBoards (that I'm aware of at least) that would call for that.

I'm perfectly fine with being excited about Milano. Hell, I'm excited for you guys and him. I liked that player a lot.

Have you ever heard of Frank the Bushman? Sergei Fedorov?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
If Milano completely flames out, the ducks still win this trade for the simple reason that Shore had literally no future in Anaheim and Shore makes more than Milano. Milano is a free lottery ticket. That doesn't mean its a bad trade for CBJ - it seems like Milano had no future there and Shore has some value as a current NHL player for a team looking to make a playoff push this year.

So Anaheim wins despite the Jackets accomplishing the exact same thing? I think it’s pretty dumb to judge this trade right now, I’m just trying to understand the logic there.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
So Anaheim wins despite the Jackets accomplishing the exact same thing? I think it’s pretty dumb to judge this trade right now, I’m just trying to understand the logic there.

Shore was being scratched and paid $2.4M. So the ducks win by saving almost actual $400k in cash the rest of the way and get a free look at young player. CBJ may be perfectly happy with the trade and view Shore as an upgrade. But by any measure, for the ducks this is a win because Shore had less than zero value to the ducks. Milano could retire tomorrow and that wouldn't change.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
One of those rare instances where you move struggling young players for one another where it actually worked out for one of the players.
Milano has been great- He was even waived earlier in the year.
Milano was also available for free for Seattle to pick, not that they would have picked him with his concussion history but the advanced stats did like Milano.
All of Milano, Henrique and Shattenkirk have been good players for Anaheim this year.
Benoit has replaced Hayden Fleury pretty well for Anaheim, so its not like we are missing much.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad