Proposal: Ana-Buf

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ristolainen and Rodrigues for Comtois and either Ritchie or Larsson?
Id do Larsson + comtois for risto and Rodrigues

im guessing Anaheim adds a pick(middle roundish) , as I think Ritchie is a lil more valued than Larsson right now.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Id do Larsson + comtois for risto and Rodrigues

im guessing Anaheim adds a pick(middle roundish) , as I think Ritchie is a lil more valued than Larsson right now.

Anaheim doesn't have a 4th this coming draft, so add a 3rd?

Comtois, Larsson, and 2020 3rd for Ristolainen and Rodrigues?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'd rather they not trade for a Top 4 RHD. Wait til after the expansion draft to trade for one or sign one as UFA this way they don't have to make deal with Seattle to not pick a Dman.

I know it sounds like conceding defeat but i think this team is neither a contender nor impossible to make the playoffs, if they make the playoffs as 7th or 8th seed in the west then fine, if not there is nothing to be stressed about.

After Seattle has taken one Duck player (possibly a Dman like Guhle or forward like Henrique) then Ducks can acquire after the dust have settle from the expansion draft.
If Seattle hasn't chosen to take Guhle then they can acquire a RHD & then move Guhle in a trade.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'd rather they not trade for a Top 4 RHD. Wait til after the expansion draft to trade for one or sign one as UFA this way they don't have to make deal with Seattle to not pick a Dman.

I know it sounds like conceding defeat but i think this team is neither a contender nor impossible to make the playoffs, if they make the playoffs as 7th or 8th seed in the west then fine, if not there is nothing to be stressed about.

After Seattle has taken one Duck player (possibly a Dman like Guhle or forward like Henrique) then Ducks can acquire after the dust have settle from the expansion draft.
If Seattle hasn't chosen to take Guhle then they can acquire a RHD & then move Guhle in a trade.

Buffalo has a surplus of Gman. They will find someone to partner with before the ED to trade Dmen.

As of 2021 off season assuming no trades buffalo has

Exposed or protected
LD Dahlin, Pilut
RD Risto, Montour, Miller, Borgen
Unsure..RD Joki
Exempt
RD Laksonen , Fitzgerald
LD Samuelson, Johnson, Bryson

IfBufalo is trading say Risto they will want a player they plan on protecting in the ED.

If thry go 7-3-1 thrn the certain forwards protected would be

Certain ..Eichel, Skinner , Reinhart, Mittlestadt, and Olofsson
Others exposed...Thompson, Asplund, Smith, a few others
Exempt... Ruots, Pekar, Cozens

If they trade for a forward they would want one that is clear improvement on the pool of players thry decide from on who to protect

If buffalo trades Risto for picks or younger players thrn the players they get they should be exempt from ED

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I disagree. Sabres are looking to win now. Comtois doesn’t make their team now and would be given the Tage treatment. Silf, Rakell, or Kase would have to be involved and Buffalo needs either RW or C. Our L side is stronger than the right.

Moving Risto and ERod for Silf and Holzer gives Sabre’s some salary help this year and then next year we still have Sobotka, Vesey, Sheary, Bogo, Scandella, others coming off the books.

The Sabres arent in "win now" mode where they are gonna sacrifice acquiring the higher end player in comtois. They are planning for this year and the years beyond. Also what is it that you this is making holzer worth anything to us? Hes a number 6 dman that I wouldn't dress over Nelson, borgen, pilut or bogo hed be all depth at best for us.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
What about Manson for Risto, straight up? Sure, it doesn’t *add* another RHD for the Ducks, but one could argue that their greater need is simply having a RHD who can play more on the offensive side of the game. Paired with Lindholm, who is very responsible defensively, Risto could flourish & be the right-handed offensive contributor from the blue line the Ducks have been looking for. In Buffalo paired with Dahlin, Manson could play more of the classic “stay-home” defense and let Dahlin drive play and join the attack. Not to mention the Sabres get $1.3m in cap savings per year over the same length of time as Risto’s contract.

IDK just spit-balling here.

Last edited:

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
The Sabres arent in "win now" mode where they are gonna sacrifice acquiring the higher end player in comtois. They are planning for this year and the years beyond. Also what is it that you this is making holzer worth anything to us? Hes a number 6 dman that I wouldn't dress over Nelson, borgen, pilut or bogo hed be all depth at best for us.
They are in win now mode. They want to make the playoffs and be a contender over the next few years. Winning is part of the process of development. Trading Risto without getting a player who would be on the roster makes us worse where as Silfverberg helps us now AND in the future.

Holzer just gives a depth defenseman who can be a healthy scratch since Risto would be gone and if other guys get injured.

It also balances contracts with ERod going back to Anaheim.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
They are in win now mode. They want to make the playoffs and be a contender over the next few years. Winning is part of the process of development. Trading Risto without getting a player who would be on the roster makes us worse where as Silfverberg helps us now AND in the future.

Holzer just gives a depth defenseman who can be a healthy scratch since Risto would be gone and if other guys get injured.

It also balances contracts with ERod going back to Anaheim.

Comtois had 7 points in 10 games for the ducks last year. You're acting like he's 3 years away from contributing. You could put him with Eichel and Reinhart now and he'd put up at least 30 points this year.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
The interesting thing is there appears to be only one duck fan posting in this thread who is wiling to pay a big price for Risto. Not because Risto is a bad player - he'd actually be a good fit on the ducks team (as Faulk would have been). The issue is that the ducks window is still 1-3 years away. Given the expansion draft and their window, it doesn't make a ton of sense for the ducks to give up young assets or futures for a player who doesn't really accelerate the retool (or make them serious contenders this year). On top of that, many ducks fans (myself included) prefer to see what we have in-house and/or wait for a UFA.

At the same time, by all accounts Risto is playing well for Buffalo. He seems to be leading their defensemen in TOI. Absent a big overpay, why would they trade him this year absent a complete meltdown or serious regression? Totally makes sense to me, but as a ducks fan I see no reason for the ducks to make that type of overpayment.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
The interesting thing is there appears to be only one duck fan posting in this thread who is wiling to pay a big price for Risto. Not because Risto is a bad player - he'd actually be a good fit on the ducks team (as Faulk would have been). The issue is that the ducks window is still 1-3 years away. Given the expansion draft and their window, it doesn't make a ton of sense for the ducks to give up young assets or futures for a player who doesn't really accelerate the retool (or make them serious contenders this year). On top of that, many ducks fans (myself included) prefer to see what we have in-house and/or wait for a UFA.

At the same time, by all accounts Risto is playing well for Buffalo. He seems to be leading their defensemen in TOI. Absent a big overpay, why would they trade him this year absent a complete meltdown or serious regression? Totally makes sense to me, but as a ducks fan I see no reason for the ducks to make that type of overpayment.

I said a few posts back we don't seem like good fits for a trade. From your end you covered many great points as to why the Ducks shouldn't go for Risto. To cover the Sabres end the Sabres while rebuilding and all are actually super tight to the cap at least short term possibly long term as well with impending dahlin and reinhart contracts. We have a currently full d-roster we are content with at this moment as well as Pilut, Mountour and sadly Bogosian coming back from injuries. We have Borgen in the AHL when he's probably ready for the jump and have 3 youngsters in Laaksonen, Samuelsson, and Johnson who hopefully project as NHLers on different time paths. With an expansion draft looming to boot it would be wise to maximize trade value and assets and dump Risto. For what it's worth I think Risto gets ragged on here more than is realistic. He has played on terribad teams in Buffalo and still puts up very good offensive numbers, plenty of guys have been defensively inept but offensively inclined and carved out great careers/are sought after. I still think the Jets are the more obvious destination for Risto but they don't have a ton that matches in trade scenarios for the Sabres wheras the Ducks do which has led to the Ducks becoming a trade partner of interest....that doesn't mean it necessarily meets the Ducks needs however as you pointed out. The only flaw I see in your analysis is Getzlaf/Fowler/henrique. Are you guys gonna rebuild on a 3 year plan wasting their twilight years or accelerate the rebuild to meet that timeline? If the answer is rebuild on the fly then Risto provides more value to you than you're giving credit. Otherwise I agree.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Because we do not have enough good forwards and we have too many defenders, especially on the right side. I would not want when Montour returned after an injury, they would send Jokiharju to Rochester or to the bench.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I said a few posts back we don't seem like good fits for a trade. From your end you covered many great points as to why the Ducks shouldn't go for Risto. To cover the Sabres end the Sabres while rebuilding and all are actually super tight to the cap at least short term possibly long term as well with impending dahlin and reinhart contracts. We have a currently full d-roster we are content with at this moment as well as Pilut, Mountour and sadly Bogosian coming back from injuries. We have Borgen in the AHL when he's probably ready for the jump and have 3 youngsters in Laaksonen, Samuelsson, and Johnson who hopefully project as NHLers on different time paths. With an expansion draft looming to boot it would be wise to maximize trade value and assets and dump Risto. For what it's worth I think Risto gets ragged on here more than is realistic. He has played on terribad teams in Buffalo and still puts up very good offensive numbers, plenty of guys have been defensively inept but offensively inclined and carved out great careers/are sought after. I still think the Jets are the more obvious destination for Risto but they don't have a ton that matches in trade scenarios for the Sabres wheras the Ducks do which has led to the Ducks becoming a trade partner of interest....that doesn't mean it necessarily meets the Ducks needs however as you pointed out. The only flaw I see in your analysis is Getzlaf/Fowler/henrique. Are you guys gonna rebuild on a 3 year plan wasting their twilight years or accelerate the rebuild to meet that timeline? If the answer is rebuild on the fly then Risto provides more value to you than you're giving credit. Otherwise I agree.

Fowler is still only 27 and signed long term - not in his twilight by any means. He's part of the core. Henrique is 29 (not really twilight) and more of a glue guy - a bit overpaid but useful. He could eventually be traded, but no need to do so now - he's a pro's pro so it seems like they want him to mentor the younger guys (same role for Silferberg). Getzlaf is showing signs of slowing down - one more year after this with big $$. Unless he wants to chase cups elsewhere (which seems unlikely), I see him transitioning into a Joe Thornton type of role and maybe sticking around for less money and more playoff runs as the team bounces back. Getlzaf has not looked great this year - hopefully he rounds into shape but its hard to tell if he can play at a faster pace. But the bottom line is that "wasting" a season or two for these guys is not a reason to accelerate the rebuild. The ducks are really not that close and it will take some time for the younger guys to develop.

Based on what you said it seems to me that that Buffalo has no reason to trade Risto - at least not yet. Maybe later this year or even in the off season (depending on your injuries and cap). My understanding is that making the playoffs this year is a huge goal for Buffalo and, if so, trading Risto doesn't seem to make a lot of sense right now (absent an overpayment) unless its for an upgrade to the current roster. Maybe that changes at some point.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
Because we do not have enough good forwards and we have too many defenders, especially on the right side. I would not want when Montour returned after an injury, they would send Jokiharju to Rochester or to the bench.
Saw it last night that Krueger told Joki and Vic to start looking for housing, they're staying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad