Confirmed Trade: [ANA/BUF] Brandon Montour for Brendan Guhle + 2019 1st (SJ or STL)

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Interesting that Buffalo fans were raving about him last year after he played a few NHL games. Was probably considered almost untouchable a year ago.
On HF, maybe. But come to the Buffalo/Rochester market and speak with the overwhelming number of fans of both organizations that aren't members of HF nor post on any forums, just every day working fans who pay to go to the games, and they will tell you what is spoken about very often, that is that Guhle has has been regressing in his play.
Now you can point to the system he plays in, the talent around him, whatever reason it is one thing is clear, there was no majority of the fan base calling for him to be elevated to a 1/2/3/4 position with the Sabres.

You have to remember, HF, most forums, are are very small size of a much larger fan base. Just because fans passions over or under value players does not mean that is represented of the broader fan base. Except maybe Toronto (sorry Leafs fans, most I meet personally do in fact, over value their assets).

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
On HF, maybe. But come to the Buffalo/Rochester market and speak with the overwhelming number of fans of both organizations that aren't members of HF nor post on any forums, just every day working fans who pay to go to the games, and they will tell you what is spoken about very often, that is that Guhle has has been regressing in his play.
Now you can point to the system he plays in, the talent around him, whatever reason it is one thing is clear, there was no majority of the fan base calling for him to be elevated to a 1/2/3/4 position with the Sabres.

You have to remember, HF, most forums, are are very small size of a much larger fan base. Just because fans passions over or under value players does not mean that is represented of the broader fan base. Except maybe Toronto (sorry Leafs fans, most I meet personally do in fact, over value their assets).

Note that I was only talking about a year ago and discussing what fans who had seen him (in person or on TV) in the NHL were saying. The reports were pretty glowing. I've no doubt that he hasn't followed up on that given that he was traded. But Ducks fans are saying the same about Montour who's play has clearly declined this year. Change of scenery type trade for both players it appears.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Note that I was only talking about a year ago and discussing what fans who had seen him (in person or on TV) in the NHL were saying. The reports were pretty glowing. I've no doubt that he hasn't followed up on that given that he was traded. But Ducks fans are saying the same about Montour who's play has clearly declined this year. Change of scenery type trade for both players it appears.

Beat me to that it seems like a change of scenery type of trade where both “struggling/regressing” players are going to be given more/different opportunities.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
And I personally would agree with them as well.
Yea, change of scenery with extra cost to Buffalo for Montour's existing development, contract, and so on.
Buffalo needed an RHD, they got one. Can't speak for Anaheims needs.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'd bet on that 1st round pick being used on Seider or Soderstrom.
Seider from Mannheim to Anaheim has a nice ring to it.

Reactions: Sam Steel

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Why did Anaheim make this trade?

Brian Burke spoke a lot about this. He said the Ducks grew frustrated with Montour because they couldn't find him a partner that was comfortable with him, no matter how much they tried. He also said that his play to too unpredictable, which is a good thing when the opponent doesn't know what you're going to do, but awful when your own D partners have no idea where you'll be, where you want the puck, or what you're going to do in a situation. That said, Burke said he felt Montour could turn it around and benefit from a move to Buffalo.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Brian Burke spoke a lot about this. He said the Ducks grew frustrated with Montour because they couldn't find him a partner that was comfortable with him, no matter how much they tried. He also said that his play to too unpredictable, which is a good thing when the opponent doesn't know what you're going to do, but awful when your own D partners have no idea where you'll be, where you want the puck, or what you're going to do in a situation. That said, Burke said he felt Montour could turn it around and benefit from a move to Buffalo.

Yet the Ducks employed the wonderful Bieksa and he was fine according to the Ducks.

Montour is a young, aggressive offensive d-man. He needs a partner to stay at home. Montour also communicated the most on the ice from what I observed. He also consistsntly worked hard and challenged his opponent. I can see why these attributes do not align with Anaheim.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Yet the Ducks employed the wonderful Bieksa and he was fine according to the Ducks.

Montour is a young, aggressive offensive d-man. He needs a partner to stay at home. Montour also communicated the most on the ice from what I observed. He also consistsntly worked hard and challenged his opponent. I can see why these attributes do not align with Anaheim.

He's paid to be in the top 4, but can't play effectively with Lindholm, Fowler or Manson? It was clear some shakeup had to be made, and we can argue whether him or Fowler deserved to go but it's not surprising to anyone that one of them was traded.

Oct 18, 2011
This is an asinine reason to trade him

Reactions: DoobieDubas

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
He's paid to be in the top 4, but can't play effectively with Lindholm, Fowler or Manson? It was clear some shakeup had to be made, and we can argue whether him or Fowler deserved to go but it's not surprising to anyone that one of them was traded.

And Fowler wouldn’t have gotten the return that Montour got. A first round pick and a young 21 year old D.

Both Fowler and Montour are regressing. Murray decided to cash in while Montour still had value. While Fowler would have gotten a lot less with what was being offered for players this deadline.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
And Fowler wouldn’t have gotten the return that Montour got. A first round pick and a young 21 year old D.

Both Fowler and Montour are regressing. Murray decided to cash in while Montour still had value. While Fowler would have gotten a lot less with what was being offered for players this deadline.

Playing with a severe Randycap does that to you.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Under Murray nothing changed. So not sure why it’s Carlyles fault. This team still sucks.

While I agree with much of the sentiment, it's not like Murray is Mike Babcock...seems unreasonable to think a GM sitting in the coaches chair would have a positive affect.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well as a rhd his partners would be Fowler or lindholm or one of the younger kids they had like Pettersson until they traded him or Larsson or Mahura.

I do agree that Anaheim should grab a rhd with that 1st. Seider or soderstrom on the right make sense. Or early in round 2 I like Korzyak from Kelowna.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Fowler is the other one that has had partner issues. He played well with Despres and Lovejoy, but that was about it. Could never gel with Vatanen or Montour, has looked bad with Manson this year. They seem to love him though, no matter what he looks like out there.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
While I agree with much of the sentiment, it's not like Murray is Mike Babcock...seems unreasonable to think a GM sitting in the coaches chair would have a positive affect.

Either or. Having a GM watching you on the bench not knowing if you have a job tomorrow in Anaheim before deadline. You would think these players would play have played better.

If a GM can’t break that out of a slump? I don’t know what can with this horrible team.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Either or. Having a GM watching you on the bench not knowing if you have a job tomorrow in Anaheim before deadline. You would think these players would play have played better.

If a GM can’t break that out of a slump? I don’t know what can with this horrible team.

Someone who can actually coach? :sarcasm:

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

Fowler is the better player, so your opinion is definitely debatable.

Playing with a severe Randycap does that to you.

I completely agree that all 4 of the alleged top 4 defenseman(and the team in general) regressed, I’m not sure any Anaheim fan will argue that. However, it was clear that someone in the top 4 was going to be moved and perhaps this was simply the best value for any of the 4.

Well as a rhd his partners would be Fowler or lindholm or one of the younger kids they had like Pettersson until they traded him or Larsson or Mahura.

I do agree that Anaheim should grab a rhd with that 1st. Seider or soderstrom on the right make sense. Or early in round 2 I like Korzyak from Kelowna.

Just because you’re a RHD does not mean you’re pigeon holed to the right side. My only point was that he didn’t stick consistently with any defenseman that he was paired with. The handedness is a non issue. If Manson-Montour(as an example)or vice-verse worked as a pairing then he probably would’ve stayed.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
In a league where offense wins, I want a guy who can move the puck up ice as efficiently as possible and can generate offense. It was evident first game that is what Montour is, we will see how it works out.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
In a league where offense wins, I want a guy who can move the puck up ice as efficiently as possible and can generate offense. It was evident first game that is what Montour is, we will see how it works out.

Hopefully he gets moved away from Scandella though. What a disaster defensively that pairing is. Scandella is barely, if even, a NHL level player anymore

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He had a great pre-season, that's it.

I went back and looked at the comments about him after he had played NHL regular season games...you should do the same. They were glowing. I assume Buffalo fans know their hockey so I'll take them at face value.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Hopefully he gets moved away from Scandella though. What a disaster defensively that pairing is. Scandella is barely, if even, a NHL level player anymore

Hopefully he gets moved up with Dahlin (the best rookie D in the league by far) lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00