Confirmed Trade: [ANA/BUF] Brandon Montour for Brendan Guhle + 2019 1st (SJ or STL)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't mind the trade... Guhle was a prospect I kinda liked in his draft class.... hopefully he can pan out in Anaheim... hes got good size/skating. the 1st I imagine we will get a solid player from. Im guessing the way negotiations went last season... the idea of trading Montour was probably something that was coming at some point anyway... likely was pricing himself out of Anaheim.

Hes a very exciting player... sometimes plays a little bit too far on the risky side(which is another reason why Anaheim probably chose to trade him over fowler). Very good shot(didn't use it enough in Anaheim)… little small, but isn't afraid of phsycal play in front of net/along boards. Hes not some one that will fight... but he does have a bit of an edge to his game... likes to get into the skirmishes/seems to be an annoying player to play against. Great skater, I think Buffalo is going to like this pick up a lot, and I think hes going to do much better in a system like buffalo(anaheims system was never really 1 that he would excel in)… likes to jump into the play/ and play aggressive at the point.

All in all I think it was an okay trade(id much rather have seen fowler go than Montour) .... despite us losing vatanen/despres/theodore/pettersson and now Montour in the last couple years..... weve some what built up our depth again(and I assume well be drafting a couple dmen in this draft). Larsson, Mahura, Guhle, Waslinski… and hunter drew look promising.

I wish Buffalo could draft and develop defensemen like the Ducks do. Envious of how Anaheim does that with such a high rate of success over and over.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I would have been surprised if Guhle became much in Buffalo, his development has not just stalled, but regressed. He needed to go to a team that can develop defensemen with great toolboxes, and Anaheim is just that. Now I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him develop into a solid player.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
i agree that its good for Anaheim
Well it could be good depending on Guhlie who struggled this year and a late first which is a crap shoot.I love the trade from a Sabres point of view.Top 4 D RHS at 24? Yes please.Also we didnt give up our 1st round pick but San Jose and didn't give up a core player very happy with this trade

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wish Buffalo could draft and develop defensemen like the Ducks do. Envious of how Anaheim does that with such a high rate of success over and over.
Its really crazy to be honest, guys like Larsson/Mahura/Walinski havnt gotten much love yet.. but have a lot of potential. And hunter drew looks like a potential Josh Manson clone(really love his game/ and that pick in general). Hopefully this season was just an injury/RC thing... but I wont be sad if we end up in the top 5 in the draft... need to find a Getzlaf replacement sooner rather than later :P.

Im hoping Montour hits his potential for you guys.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would have been surprised if Guhle became much in Buffalo, his development has not just stalled, but regressed. He needed to go to a team that can develop defensemen with great toolboxes, and Anaheim is just that. Now I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him develop into a solid player.

Anaheim does such a great job with development, it wouldn't surprise me to see him bounce back. That said, it's only Guhle's second pro year. PHam hyped him so much for so long, it's not a surprise that him having some struggle is so much more observable, so noticeable given the hype train.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
No one has mentioned this and I’m absolutely stunned by HF Boards.

Guhle was coached by Dave Manson. Josh Manson’s dad for 4 years at Prince Albert Raiders.

Josh Manson is a dynamic player for Anaheim. I highly think this is why Murray pulled the trigger on this kid no doubt about it.

Reactions: ayrton2388

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site

Guhle was coached by Dave Manson. Josh Manson’s dad for 4 years at Prince Albert Raiders.

Josh Manson is a dynamic player for Anaheim. I highly think this is why Murray pulled the trigger on this kid no doubt about it.

agreed. Murray and Manson are pretty close. Murray also has a hard on for Manson and has since he showed up for his first training camp. gruehle is a lh offensicr defenseman, Manson a 2 way physical defenseman. seems like a nice pair.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Glad we get to see both Montour and Risto on the same blue line (with all the rumors floating around about a potential Risto deadline deal).

I’m anxious to see what another righty that can help ease Risto’s burden does for Risto and the blue line as a whole.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
agreed. Murray and Manson are pretty close. Murray also has a hard on for Manson and has since he showed up for his first training camp. gruehle is a lh offensicr defenseman, Manson a 2 way physical defenseman. seems like a nice pair.

Yah you don’t have to watch the full video? It’s at 1:13 where he learned his game from. He talks about Josh Manson.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
I wonder what im missing here that Ducks management isnt.

Unsure why they had such a want to deal him away right now for prospect/pick and not a good young forward. Myself, i woulda kept him but if they were to deal him, atleast get a good young NHL player.... Not risk it on something that may never turn into a NHL player

But hey, i dont see what goes on there and behind the scenes

He was potentially at his peak value. Not sure if his value would have dropped by the off season, but if Montour's plateau continues and it turns out this is as good as he is, then I think the Ducks got pretty good value.

ayrton2388

May 23, 2014

Nice find!

PopeInTheWoods

Asset Overvaluer
Feb 5, 2015
Rochester NY USA
So now Buffalo can roll out

Dahlin - Montour
Pilut - Risto
McCabe - Bogo
Scandella - Nelson

That almost resembles an NHL defense. Helps that the third pair is solid on the PK, so no need to force any of the Top 4 beyond 22-24 min/game.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Why did Anaheim make this trade?
honestly, and this is just my own belief...I the "team" had kind of soured on him, I know RC called him as basically being a rouge player, and im sure some of the up and down play played a part too...I think/hope buffalo is going to be happy with him and after 1 game (yes im well aware its one game, and we have a long ways to go) but i reallyy liked what i saw from guhle.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Guhle will max out as a number 6, at best. Stupid trade for the Ducks.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Not true at all..he’s already a solid #5/6. He has too 4 potential still,

If he was a solid 5/6 already he wouldn’t have been in Rochester.

Now, can he end up a top 4? Sure, why not?

He could also be a bottom pairing, #7 guy.

The first round pick is what could “win” this trade for Anaheim. We’ll know in three to five years.

For now? The deal seems to fit both teams and what they want to accomplish moving forward.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Interesting that Buffalo fans were raving about him last year after he played a few NHL games. Was probably considered almost untouchable a year ago.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad