Confirmed with Link: [ANA/BOS] Ondrej Kase for 2020 1st round pick, David Backes (25% retained), and Axel Andersson

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I love Kase but I'm happy we moved him, the poor guy can't catch a break. Hopefully playing in the east (somewhat softer) on a tougher team will extend his career significantly. I'd love to see him win a cup out there too. He will be missed but I think it's the type of move we had to make.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Being smart enough to trade Grant would significantly raise my opinion of the front office. He's the type of guy you get a good season out of, and dumb teams think "wow we have to hold on to this guy!" while smartteams think "wow, we got a good season out of this guy, time to quit while we're ahead."
I agree completely. My guess is if Murray wanted to re-sign Grant and not trade at the deadline, he would've done so immediately much like Deslauriers. I think Grant gets traded and Backes assumes his roll for the remainder of the season.

All you guys criticizing this deal are missing the boat here...

Due to BOS retaining 25% on Backes, the Ducks are only absorbing an additional $1.2M for next season

Then, we get a 1st round pick

Then, we get a young, puck moving RHD prospect who by all accounts can fly with the puck

Bob is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He traded an oft-injured winger for a plethora of youth.
Unless I am mistaken, I believe your math is a bit off. The cap hit on Backes' contract for next season is $6 million but he'll only be paid $4 million. With Boston retaining 25%, Anaheim is on the hook for a $4.5 million cap hit but only $3 million in salary. Subtract the salary due to Kase next season--$2.6 million--and Anaheim is only absorbing an additional $400k in actual dollars to be paid out (not including what Backes is due for the remainder of this season).

Reactions: Tony O

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Plethora of youth meaning 26-31 overall and the Bruins' 11th best prospect.

I would rather this than trading for and extending Justin Faulk though.
Did you expect 3-4 player return for Kase? Kase is oft-injured and was up for a big payday next offseason. This was an outstanding deal considering all the circumstances.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
So which Kase return do you guys prefer? Faulk (with the big contract he signed with the Blues), or this?

This one, largely because of the contract commitments. I'd rather have a nothing Backes for one (kind of like what we're doing with Eaves this season) than what seems like a rapidly declining Faulk for 7.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
So which Kase return do you guys prefer? Faulk (with the big contract he signed with the Blues), or this?
The Faulk contract might end up being a bigger albatross than Backes. He has 14 points on a stacked Blues team and is signed for forever. I can only imagine the sentiment if he was on an even bigger deal here (and it sounds like that’s what it would’ve taken to get him), and he had like 8 points right now.

Reactions: duckpuck

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Underwhelmed only because I would have expected more for taking on the Backes contract given how desperate Boston was to move it, but it makes sense if the Bruins are retaining. Hopefully, we figure out how to develop Andersson properly.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
My only real hesitation around this return is the last D prospect with offensive upside they traded for was Guhle so...

Hoping Andersson is more like a right-handed Mahura.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
@Getz2noone @heusy_79 @Sojourn @mymerlincat

Told ya Getzlaf and Perry combo coming soon baby. I knew Murray can’t be that much of an idiot. 2 first round picks. Ottawa isn’t the only ones with firsts this year!

WOOOO!!!!
"I still have a feeling kase ends up in boston…. and I wouldn't be shocked if we take backes back"

We were already talkin bout this trade yesterday... and we also got 1st + andersson righr... we just thought wed get a 3rd piece​

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Underwhelmed only because I would have expected more for taking on the Backes contract given how desperate Boston was to move it, but it makes sense if the Bruins are retaining. Hopefully, we figure out how to develop Andersson properly.
Dubas gave everyone unrealistic expectations on how hard it would be to move backes

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
@Getz2noone @heusy_79 @Sojourn @mymerlincat

Told ya Getzlaf and Perry combo coming soon baby. I knew Murray can’t be that much of an idiot. 2 first round picks. Ottawa isn’t the only ones with firsts this year!

WOOOO!!!!

If you want to play the told you so game, I proposed nearly this exact trade just this morning lol

Rumor: - Bruins (really) trying to trade Backes

Wanted a fair bit more in Beecher obviously, but it would be sort of hard for you to claim you had this one more figured out haha

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Not a bad deal, Kase is 1 headshot away from retirement. Backes is obviously ahl/press box fodder, he might retire anyway if he gets sent to minors.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I have been critical of Murray, but this is exactly the type of trade Ducks should be making. I like Kase, like everyone else, but you can't count on him moving forward as a core piece.

Don’t worry Anaheim is back in business, and I’m hoping we aren’t done yet. We’re gonna trade Manson for another first round pick. Giving Anaheim 3 chances to find Getzlaf and Perry combo.

Im so super excited man. This made my week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad