Confirmed with Link: [ANA/BOS] Ondrej Kase for 2020 1st round pick, David Backes (25% retained), and Axel Andersson

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't love it but I get it. Murray wasnt ready to commit to Kase as a core piece due to the injuries.

Andersson fits a big need in the system, and we get another 1st in a good draft. Backes likely sees spot duty as 13th forward next year, and is only owed 3M in salary vs a 6M cap hit.

Reactions: Paul4587 and Hank84

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I'm stat watching, but this guy has never really put up numbers at any level except for one tv-pucken tournament, and is only about .5ppg and the 4th highest scoring defenseman on the cats (less games played than others) so I really dont see this offensive upside

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
If Kase stays healthy it's a steal for Boston but that's a big if. Glad Ducks got something of value for him

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Im positive Murray doesn’t see Backes as negative value. He loves players like him. Im not that upset about this trade in general i guess. Would have liked more coming back but oh well. We got a RHD prospect so that’s great but with our luck that 1st will be pick 31.

kase will do great on the east though. Plus he’ll have guys like Chara and Marchand to prevent guys from targeting his head.

Reactions: MCB

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'm stat watching, but this guy has never really put up numbers at any level except for one tv-pucken tournament, and is only about .5ppg and the 4th highest scoring defenseman on the cats (less games played than others) so I really dont see this offensive upside
Oh cool, we got a RHD prospect that doesn’t actually fill a need other than he’s a RHD. Nice...

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I'm thinking that 1st plus Rakell could get us the impact player we need this summer.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Underwhelming return but no doubt the injury history played a part. Would've liked someone with higher upside but it is what is. Bob loves having an extra first as bait so at least he has another bullet to use in a deal. This might mean he's closer to trading Grant now that Backes can basically be used in that role. Though nowhere near as effectively.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
It seems fair given Kase's injury concerns. Axel Andersson is an intriguing prospect and 1st round picks seem to be hard to pry away from GMs this year. Backes is irrelevant to our current situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deuce22

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Happy to have moved Kase tbh, needed to get value for him before he is permanently knocked out of the league. Good player, but he won't be around for much longer at the rate he's going.

And since one of the reasons we apparently can't afford to trade any of the current core is because of the leadership they bring, guess we can move one of them now as Backes will replace the leadership ;)

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Underwhelming return but no doubt the injury history played a part. Would've liked someone with higher upside but it is what is. Bob loves having an extra first as bait so at least he has another bullet to use in a deal. This might mean he's closer to trading Grant now that Backes can basically be used in that role. Though nowhere near as effectively.
I thought of this. Backes can slide in at 4RW while Rowney moves to C. If someone is offering up a 2nd or 3rd for Grant, you probably have to pull the trigger and then try and re-sign him in the off-season.

Reactions: Hank84

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I think this is a great deal, to be honest. Kase's injury risks are well known, and Backes can still be servicable as a mentor and on the 4th line for a season. A good season from him next season could make him a deadline piece as well. Don't know much about Anderson but I like the way Boston develops their dmen.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Being smart enough to trade Grant would significantly raise my opinion of the front office. He's the type of guy you get a good season out of, and dumb teams think "wow we have to hold on to this guy!" while smartteams think "wow, we got a good season out of this guy, time to quit while we're ahead."

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
All you guys criticizing this deal are missing the boat here...

Due to BOS retaining 25% on Backes, the Ducks are only absorbing an additional $1.2M for next season

Then, we get a 1st round pick

Then, we get a young, puck moving RHD prospect who by all accounts can fly with the puck

Bob is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He traded an oft-injured winger for a plethora of youth.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
All you guys criticizing this deal are missing the boat here...

Due to BOS retaining 25% on Backes, the Ducks are only absorbing an additional $1.2M for next season

Then, we get a 1st round pick

Then, we get a young, puck moving RHD prospect who by all accounts can fly with the puck

Bob is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He traded an oft-injured winger for a plethora of youth.

Plethora of youth meaning 26-31 overall and the Bruins' 11th best prospect.

I would rather this than trading for and extending Justin Faulk though.

Reactions: Paul4587

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Glad Bob finally did something, and it looks pretty good at first glance.

Backes is only on contract one more season and he can play on the 4th line or hang out in San Diego.

Late 1st round pick and a right handed D prospect for a talented but damaged winger.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
The MBT about this just reemphasizes why most HF posters have no business being near organizations. I love when people chime in about players and teams they clearly know nothing about.
You dont need to know much as long as you look at the age, stats, and some carefully selected advanced stats.

i like Kase, but people are there are acting like he’s currently some 30goal top line winger.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
I like this more now that Teaford just reported Boston retained 25% of Backes salary. Loved Kase but he is very injury prone with the way he plays. Hope it works out for him more in Boston and the 'flu like symptoms' wasn't another concussion for him recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad