An Unlikely Path

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
So, the Sabres, who have hovered at an 82-point pace the whole year, are going to win four in a row on a West Coast trip that includes a back-to-back game against Vancouver that is also three in four days. Then they will beat Edmonton in their rink after four in six nights. And we will beat Seattle, who we can never beat.

I worry all this delusional dreaming (which is fine for fans) actually lives in the minds of players and management. This team needs some serious adjustments.

I'm sure management will do whatever they will do regardless of fan delusional dreaming. Also, they have been 17-12-1 since the holiday break which is more like a 96 point pace. How they were playing at the beginning of November isn't really relevant.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I'm sure management will do whatever they will do regardless of fan delusional dreaming. Also, they have been 17-12-1 since the holiday break which is more like a 96 point pace. How they were playing at the beginning of November isn't really relevant.

Wow, a 96-point pace. Show me something measuring the quality of opponents for context. Honestly, I don't know, but January looked like a lot of soft teams. UPL is the positive of the year and looks like the real deal. To me, that is mostly the difference — riding him.

Management can only do what is allowed by ownership.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Imagine the team played a full season instead of cherry picking a period of time.

Of course how they played in November is relevant. Its the the whole reason why this team missed the playoffs.

If Granato can't get this team to play from game 1 then we gonna have this conversation again next year???

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Imagine the team played a full season instead of cherry picking a period of time.

Of course how they played in November is relevant. Its the the whole reason why this team missed the playoffs.

If Granato can't get this team to play from game 1 then we gonna have this conversation again next year???
It’s irrelevant to projecting how they will play for the rest of the season. How they’ve played recently is much more relevant. The roster isn’t even the same between then and now.

It’s obviously relevant to why they only have a 5% chance of making it, which isn’t what I was talking about…

Reactions: joshjull

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
That loss to Detriot is going to be killer, man. Theyve looked like ass every game except on Saturday, which in part is probably due to the Sabres choking. Damn. I wish I could say I can't believe they let a game like that slip against a team struggling so badly, but Im not.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Do you pay attention to the league enough to say how many teams have played "a full season" without any slow periods? I don't, but I imagine it's very few teams if any.
Yes, every team that makes the playoffs has played well enough all season.

Funny fact. Did you know games in November are worth 2 points. Did you also know games in March are also worth 2 points?

So, we can deduce from that, the 2 points in November are equally as important than the 2 points in March when it comes to making the playoffs. Thus you need to play every game out of the gate like it matters NOT just half a season.

It’s irrelevant to projecting how they will play for the rest of the season. How they’ve played recently is much more relevant. The roster isn’t even the same between then and now.

It’s obviously relevant to why they only have a 5% chance of making it, which isn’t what I was talking about…
Read my post. We did the same thing last year, we are doing the same thing this year so lets ignore history and do the same thing next year. Makes sense.

We wouldn't even need this thread if the team played well from the start of the season.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don’t see Detroit being the one to take WC 2 in the end. Sucks right now but it will just be another total loss by the end. Win all 3 coming up and we’re back in the mix.
With the way Detroit is sliding........I'm kind of expecting us to finish ahead of Detroit in the standings.....but be like 9th or 10th in the WC race.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
Hot take: if the Sabres make the playoffs, UPL will be a Vezina finalist.

Not so hot take (if they make it): deservedly.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006

How is how they played in November or how they play next October in any way relevant to their chances of winning 10 more games?

You can blame Granato’s job in October for needing to win 10 games, but saying his October is why they can’t do it is foolish…

Reactions: joshjull

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Didn't expect caps to keep winning like that, but maybe it's good for the sabres as they prepare our next opponents.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
10-3 might get it done.

Would be hard but it’s certainly not impossible.
Philly would is WC2 right now if you go by points percentage at a 91.6 pace but their next 5 games are absolutely brutal and we still play them.

Detroit and NYI are at an 89 point pace.

And it’s very hard to see a scenario that we catch up and don’t have the regulation win tiebreaker. 10 wins almost certainly ends the drought.

And we still play Washington twice at home, Philly at home, and in Detroit. Take care of business in those games there’s a very real chance that 9 wins is more likely to end the drought than it extend with 10 more.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
When doing my calculations / optimistic predictions, I did not expect the Caps to keep this heater going. Now my assumption is that they will pass the Flyers for Metro-3. TBL will get WC1, with the remainder of the teams battling for WC2.

Out of those teams, I think it will come down to BUF and NYI. At least if they end up with the same number of points, Sabres have the RW tie-breaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad