An Unlikely Path

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Man this season has sucked - just enjoy the fun where it happens. Nobody is going to change their mind about what needs to be done to the roster this off-season because of a late run.
Exactly this. Regardless of what happens over the next month, they know what they need to do over the summer. Will they? We don’t know.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
In what way?
As a player you have to believe there is a chance, we are more kidding because we know it is the sabres.

I was lurking in the flyers GDT last night, someone posted their next 7 games :laugh:

Upcoming Games
Thu, Mar 14vs TORONTO7:30 PM
Sat, Mar 16@ BOSTON7:00 PM
Tue, Mar 19vs TORONTO7:00 PM
Thu, Mar 21@ CAROLINA7:00 PM
Sat, Mar 23vs BOSTON1:00 PM
Sun, Mar 24vs FLORIDA6:00 PM
Tue, Mar 26@ NY RANGERS7:00 PM

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
As a player you have to believe there is a chance, we are more kidding because we know it is the sabres.

I was lurking in the flyers GDT last night, someone posted their next 7 games :laugh:

Upcoming Games
Thu, Mar 14vs TORONTO7:30 PM
Sat, Mar 16@ BOSTON7:00 PM
Tue, Mar 19vs TORONTO7:00 PM
Thu, Mar 21@ CAROLINA7:00 PM
Sat, Mar 23vs BOSTON1:00 PM
Sun, Mar 24vs FLORIDA6:00 PM
Tue, Mar 26@ NY RANGERS7:00 PM
Ouch. That's definitely a tough stretch of games.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I just don't see it guys

Capitals still have 3 games in hand, you need Philadelphia, Tampa, Isles and Red Wings lose out.

That's a whole lot of things going your way without losing yourselves.

like I said before, Sabres could go on a 13 game win streak and I still wouldn't believe they would make the playoffs because in those 13 games any team above them could win 6 to 8 games themselves and nullify the Sabres heroic run.

Theres just too much mountain to climb and the team has shown wild inconsistency all season.

That said, there's nothing wrong with cheering them on, the race of possibility is exciting.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
I just don't see it guys

Capitals still have 3 games in hand, you need Philadelphia, Tampa, Isles and Red Wings lose out.

like I said before, Sabres could go on a 13 game win streak and I still wouldn't believe they would make the playoffs because in those 13 games any team above them could win 6 to 8 games themselves and nullify the Sabres heroic run.

Theres just too much mountain to climb and the team has shown wild inconsistency all season.
Caps have the hardest schedule of any them.
Flyers are in freefall and could left in the dust after they lose their next 7.
Islanders will likely grab Metro 3
Tampa will likely grab WC1

It can happen. And the Sabres are playing their best hockey in the last 2 seasons (or even longer).

Reactions: brian_griffin

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Caps have the hardest schedule of any them.
Flyers are in freefall and could left in the dust after they lose their next 7.
Islanders will likely grab Metro 3
Tampa will likely grab WC1

It can happen. And the Sabres are playing their best hockey in the last 2 seasons (or even longer).
They still got the Kraken coming up and that is a team they just cant beat.

Just that week alone is the Kraken, Canucks, Oilers.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
They still got the Kraken coming up and that is a team they just cant beat.

Just that week alone is the Kraken, Canucks, Oilers.
Something to keep in mind with this squad:

The strength of the opposition does not phase this team in any way. We have shown that we can beat any team in this league. Of course, we've also shown that we can lose to any team in this league.

I mean, we got swept by Anaheim but swept Vegas outscoring them by 8. We've gotten 5 out of 6 points from the Leafs. We scored 12 straight goals against LA. But CBJ curb-stomped us.

The opponent doesn't really matter. What matters is how we play. Yes, we've lost a few games this year and played well doing so.....but the vast majority of the time -- we play well, we win. We don't, we lose.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I just don't see it guys

That said, there's nothing wrong with cheering them on, the race of possibility is exciting.
There are 3 spots for those team, one is only for metro teams but still they don't have to beat out all those teams.

Some years it happens that kind of everyone sucks, like in the 2009-10 season where the last 3 spots in the east went to Boston (91) Flyers (88) and Habs (88).

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
They need to win the next two in regulation. Head to head vs the teams they need to pass

Then they likely would be 3 out of the last we spot. Then they got a shot. Still a stretch

No need to get excited until the next two are victory in regulation. Lose or tie and they are likely out

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They're in must win to survive mode.
Pressure comes from expectation. They’re not expected to make the playoffs and haven’t been for over a month. They didn’t start playing better until they bottomed out. Their own management doesn’t expect playoffs. It’s why they traded Mitts/Okposo and talked about the future.

The mode they're in is “we’ve got nothing to lose, so lets go balls to wall and see what happens”.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Pressure comes from expectation. They’re not expected to make the playoffs and haven’t been for over a month. They didn’t start playing better until they bottomed out. Their own management doesn’t expect playoffs. It’s why they traded Mitts/Okposo and talked about the future.

The mode they're in is “we’ve got nothing to lose, so lets go balls to wall and see what happens”.
The indictment for GMKA is not recognizing that pace of play is the key to success and not making changes sooner. Whatever happens this season, hopefully this is recognized and addressed appropriately.

Don't bring in/back veterans that are washed.

(Forgive me Kyle, I like you as a person/leader)

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
The indictment for GMKA is not recognizing that pace of play is the key to success and not making changes sooner. Whatever happens this season, hopefully this is recognized and addressed appropriately.

Don't bring in/back veterans that are washed.

(Forgive me Kyle, I like you as a person/leader)
I think two things happened last season as to why they went with who they did. Part of it is getting players to come here. I honestly think they believed with adding Johnson who's won cup would help the young core understand what it takes to win.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

On the ice... or in the bedroom... life imitates art.

Reactions: joshjull

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
A month ago I said it was too little too late. Here they are again, getting our hopes up with a month to play, 5 points behind NYI/DET for the last playoff spot. Their next two games are against those 2 teams. If they can somehow win both in regulation things will be mighty interesting, even more so if Detroit loses their next game vs ARI (I won't hold my breath)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad