Post-Game Talk: An OK start

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
That was a butt clencher that didn't need to be but take the win and run I guess.

Also it's really weird seeing a player get 2 assists and my immediate reaction being "oh this is normal for you, you can do better", it's unbelievable how much McDavid's production spoils us.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Honestly not a good game. Played decently for 40, then absolutely stopped playing. No doubt in my mind it's a coaching decision. It's happened in consecutive years in the playoffs and now we see it in the beginning of the season. Not a good sign.
Its amazing how pessimistic people can be.

I saw a completely different game, I saw team with a different mentality than the last dew years, contributions from all over and most importantly, guts and determination.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Nuge fooled Demko with the shoulder drop looking like he was shooting low glove. You could see it in Demko’s eyes as he watched the puck sail past how upset he was with himself

Can’t believe Turris beat Demko five-hole like that either.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Excuse me but we refer to him as a good ol' Kingston boy around these parts.

200b6c4f-4671-4562-87e3-56acfb774992_text.gif

Reactions: Slugman

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
That was a bit of everything. Real OILERS hockey.

Smith was fantastic aside from the goal in the third, which was just a garbage period for everyone.

Still happy about the win and the game was fun. I'm gonna just choose to move onto the next one, baby.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
My avy with the first of many

Rough 3rd, but I'll take the win

P.S. Turris is godlike

Last edited:
Reactions: Gh0st

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Also, Drai shouldn’t be in the shootout. His goals are on one timers and shots where the goalie has to focus on other things.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Well. Atleast Turris can score in the shootout.

Kind of a janky / sloppy game.

I'm kind of glad the Nucks came back tonight. Gives the boys a warning that they need to do better and we still get the two points. Gives Tippett some ammunition to push the guys a bit.

Hyman was good. Liked Foegele. Liked Keith.

Thought McDrai were pedestrian and maybe our third best line. If you have them together that's unacceptable. That being said... I'm not worried about them, they'll be the best two players in the world because that's what they are.

Reactions: Oilhawks

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This was my first time to see a whole game with the new guys, so it was very interesting. To state the obvious, Hyman is A PLAYER. Holy strong game at both ends, and just a very impressive range of skills. Thank you very much, Ken Holland.

Foegel looked to me like a player with a very modest hockey IQ, but of course I’ll reserve judgement until much later. Ceci was okay tonight, but likewise I’ll wait and see. I liked Duncan Keith’s game, though – nothing fancy, but some solid play, and smart plays with the puck.

Some players were good – McDavid, Puljujarvi, Hyman (as mentioned), Bouchard (who nearly scored), and Barrie. I was really impressed by Barrie tonight (costly 3rd-period penalty aside, and brutal shootout attempt), and it’ll be great if he can maintain this kind of balanced play through the season.

Conversely, Nurse was just okay. Brutal giveaway early, and some odd choices: there was a point in the third period with the Oilers up 2-0 and nine minutes left, and Nurse was leading a rush down the ice to the goal-line. I was like, “Is that necessary…?” Draisaitl was good-ish and full marks for that spectacular touch pass to Hyman, but overall he was kind of meh. A few lazy, low-percentage passes that were easily picked off. Smith was mostly great and held them in early in the game, but he almost gave up a freebie to Pettersson in the second (?) period, and that 2nd goal against was just awful. RNH was invisible – except for scoring on his own goalie – as usual when he’s asked to carry a line. (Nice shootout shot, though.)

I don’t get why McLeod is playing at all (because Kassian?). I didn’t think he was doing anything much besides speed last year, and he’s doing even less now. Hard to judge Perlini and those guys with so little ice-time, but certainly nobody distinguished themselves on lines three and four.

Which brings to my biggest issue with the club: Dave Tippett’s brutal line / line-up management. I can kind of understand Russell being inserted (note: ‘kind of’), but I just don’t think Turris earns his place on the club after last year’s disaster. And… why was he on the ice in overtime??
I do not like McDavid & Drai on the same line, at this point in time. The whole point of improving the forward depth was to avoid exactly that, so what is Tippett thinking? Seriously, Tippett must have signed some of eternity-in-hell contract with the Devil, promising to never play Drai, Yamamoto, and RNH on the same line. Because that would be so logical. Utterly baffles me.

Anyway, entertaining game, despite a blown 2-0 lead and some tentative play. I don’t think we’ll see the “real” 2022 Oilers until about game ten.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
You were arguing against someone saying Nurse is a number 1, by countering with Makar and Fox to say he isnt.
You still haven't the answered the question.. is that answer coming? Because I'm willing to bet we have the same answer.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Dave Tippetts lineup choices and in game choices tonight were suspect.

All that said, saw some good things in the ozone, lines 2-4 showing lack of finish apparent. Especially that second line.

Lots and lots to clean up in the dzone. Nurse and Barrie had a real bad game tonight.

Reactions: Old Boys Club

dem

Mar 17, 2002
There’s a huge difference between a hockey game and a shootout..

Not sure why everyone is so surprised by Turris’ name being called or him scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad