Speculation: An Offersheet that could actually work

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
If WPG doesnt want to trade Trouba to FLA then FLA should offer sheet Brossoit as a nice 2a option if signing/trading for Bob doesnt work out. $2.5 to 3 million would be tough for WPG and would cost us a 2nd IIRC.

Oh goodness. As a Jets fan, please please please.

Get a 2nd for Brossoit!!!

But really, you can probably get him for like a 4th in the summer. If that much is even required. If the Jets even qualify him. There's a chance they won't to avoid the arbitration risk.

Reactions: Meeqs

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Pretty sure Trouba will be available if he won’t sign a reasonable contract with the Jets. FLA might not want to pay the price but I doubt it will be as high as most of my fellow Jets fans think. If you want LB for a second why not offer it and then you won’t have to overpay the guy on an offer sheet.

Oh goodness. As a Jets fan, please please please. Get a 2nd for Brossoit!!! But really, you can probably get him for like a 4th in the summer. If that much is even required. If the Jets even qualify him. There's a chance they won't to avoid the arbitration risk.

I'd love to get both Trouba and Brossoit. 2019 1st + ? + ?.

Fill in the ?s and let's see if we can find something that works for both teams.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Any offer sheet can work if you're willing to grossly overpay the player. A young unproven goalie is no different.

Hahaha what are you doing being super reasonable with intelligent commentary? Are you new here?

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I'd love to get both Trouba and Brossoit. 2019 1st + ? + ?.

Fill in the ?s and let's see if we can find something that works for both teams.

No point in combining those two assets from the Jets point of view.

Brossoit will either tie up a nice little deal shortly after the end of the season, or will be headed to greener pastures. If he's going, the price will be, at most, a 3rd. But honestly they may just let him walk.

Trouba is a completely different situation. If/when it is clear they cannot work out a long term deal with him, he'll be available. But he'll go to the team that offers the most/best suited assets. Who those teams are, who knows?

Jets fans wants a like for like deal with Trouba. Personally, I think that is unlikely as team willing to pay heavily for Trouba isn't going to have a similar player lying around expendable. But after that pipe dream, it comes down to whoever offers the best package. I see no point in speculating on what that package may be because there is a good chance it would be insulting and ultimately the trade is just going to work itself out through teams bidding against eachother.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
A Trouba deal would need to be worked around either Trocheck or Ekblad.

Ehh personally disagree, while I'm sure WPG would like that if we want to be realistic you'd need to find a different approach. If WPG is moving Trouba it'll be because they can't keep him long term, the onus will be on them. Fla never has to move those guys.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Ehh personally disagree, while I'm sure WPG would like that if we want to be realistic you'd need to find a different approach. If WPG is moving Trouba it'll be because they can't keep him long term, the onus will be on them. Fla never has to move those guys.
So, if we need to move him then, we'll move him wherever the best offer comes from. Either way it will be a hefty return.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
A Trouba deal would need to be worked around either Trocheck or Ekblad.

I understand the ask but just don't see it happening. See a more futures based deal to stock the farm on defense because Buff ain't getting younger. CAR doesnt need any RD. STL doesnt want to trade Parayko. Teams wont do a lateral move on defense to help your GM knowing the guy has had issues in the past with signing in WPG. Feel Chevy doesnt hold a ton of leverage with him.

What happens if he sits out next year? Does he walk to UFA?

No point in combining those two assets from the Jets point of view.

Brossoit will either tie up a nice little deal shortly after the end of the season, or will be headed to greener pastures. If he's going, the price will be, at most, a 3rd. But honestly they may just let him walk.

Trouba is a completely different situation. If/when it is clear they cannot work out a long term deal with him, he'll be available. But he'll go to the team that offers the most/best suited assets. Who those teams are, who knows?

Jets fans wants a like for like deal with Trouba. Personally, I think that is unlikely as team willing to pay heavily for Trouba isn't going to have a similar player lying around expendable. But after that pipe dream, it comes down to whoever offers the best package. I see no point in speculating on what that package may be because there is a good chance it would be insulting and ultimately the trade is just going to work itself out through teams bidding against eachother.

I'd assume we finish around the 8th to 14th draft slot depending on trades Tallon will make. That'd be my base and feel itd probably be one of the better picks youd receive. DET would be interested as well with him being a hometown guy.

We know he bought a condo in FLA with his girlfriend who's from FLA as well. Safe to assume he's playing somewhere in the US sooner than later, probably moved at the draft

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
So, if we need to move him then, we'll move him wherever the best offer comes from. Either way it will be a hefty return.

He would certainly return a lot, but no reason to try an include assets that certainly wont be part of that return and immediately derail any meaningful conversation.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I understand the ask but just don't see it happening. See a more futures based deal to stock the farm on defense because Buff ain't getting younger. CAR doesnt need any RD. STL doesnt want to trade Parayko. Teams wont do a lateral move on defense to help your GM knowing the guy has had issues in the past with signing in WPG. Feel Chevy doesnt hold a ton of leverage with him.

Well, I think we have to assume that the Jets would get the best value by trading Trouba to a team where he is willing to sign an extension. So, that team isn't going to have to worry about signing issues.

However, if like almostawake says, a deal that suits the Jets needs isn't readily available, then he'll go to the highest bidder and what that deal will be... who knows.

Sitting a year wouldn't help Trouba. He would still owe the Jets a year when he came back.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Well, I think we have to assume that the Jets would get the best value by trading Trouba to a team where he is willing to sign an extension. So, that team isn't going to have to worry about signing issues.

However, if like almostawake says, a deal that suits the Jets needs isn't readily available, then he'll go to the highest bidder and what that deal will be... who knows.

Sitting a year wouldn't help Trouba. He would still owe the Jets a year when he came back.

We can re-visit this closer to the draft. Go chase the Cup for now. :cheers:

Reactions: Meeqs and Snowman

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
He would certainly return a lot, but no reason to try an include assets that certainly wont be part of that return and immediately derail any meaningful conversation.
Sorry, I didn't realise I was talking to Dale Tallon. Why don't you just tell us what we have to take instead of wasting everyone's time getting us to run around in circles.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Sorry, I didn't realise I was talking to Dale Tallon. Why don't you just tell us what we have to take instead of wasting everyone's time getting us to run around in circles.

Ahh so you are one of those get defensive when someone points out your bad takes type of poster. Duly noted

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

I'm pretty certain UFA status comes from service years. If he doesn't do the years of service, he doesn't hit UFA.

I'd assume we finish around the 8th to 14th draft slot depending on trades Tallon will make. That'd be my base and feel itd probably be one of the better picks youd receive. DET would be interested as well with him being a hometown guy.

We know he bought a condo in FLA with his girlfriend who's from FLA as well. Safe to assume he's playing somewhere in the US sooner than later, probably moved at the draft

Yeah, the thing from my point of view though is that everything I've ever seen from Trouba is that he wants money and he wants to be a star. I know that personal stuff leaks out into the media here and there but the truth is that if that were really at the heart of the matter he would already be gone. Not out of the goodness of TNSE's hearts, but rather because location/personal issues simply cannot be solved in Winnipeg.

The thing is, Overhardt has a very long history using (and creating) every possible leverage to maximize his clients' career earnings.

So I really see everything that has happened between the Jets and Trouba has centered around money, and Trouba long-term earning potential.

Obviously there are some markets in which he would be more marketable and/or face a better tax situation.

But I really feel like Trouba has far less location preference than people believe.

One big matter is that the Jets will be the only team able to sign him to an 8 year deal.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Ahh so you are one of those get defensive when someone points out your bad takes type of poster. Duly noted
Ahhh, so you're one of those posters who knows exactly what a player will return in a trade and don't really want to have any meaningful discussion on the subject. Talk about trying to derail the discussion.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm pretty certain UFA status comes from service years. If he doesn't do the years of service, he doesn't hit UFA.

Yeah, the thing from my point of view though is that everything I've ever seen from Trouba is that he wants money and he wants to be a star. I know that personal stuff leaks out into the media here and there but the truth is that if that were really at the heart of the matter he would already be gone. Not out of the goodness of TNSE's hearts, but rather because location/personal issues simply cannot be solved in Winnipeg.

The thing is, Overhardt has a very long history using (and creating) every possible leverage to maximize his clients' career earnings.

So I really see everything that has happened between the Jets and Trouba has centered around money, and Trouba long-term earning potential.

Obviously there are some markets in which he would be more marketable and/or face a better tax situation.

But I really feel like Trouba has far less location preference than people believe.

One big matter is that the Jets will be the only team able to sign him to an 8 year deal.

We could definitely offer him a decent contract. 7 yrs @ $7.5 to 8 million with thar better tax situation you speak of. Close to the condo, close to the fiance and playing for a team that is a couple good pieces away from being a WPG type team.

I could see Chevy offering him the #1 role/paycheck and reduce Buff's minutes to 2nd pairing. Winning the Cup could definitely make him think about staying. Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad