An (early) look at the Stanley Cup Favourites

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
East: Boston, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay
West: L.A., Winnipeg, Nashville

Will be surprised if a few of these teams aren't in the Conference Finals - but would love if The Isle or Columbus came out of the Metro and St. Louis came out of the Norris (or whatever it's called nowadays) as a Columbus vs. St. Louis Final is what we all dream about.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
East: Boston, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay
West: L.A., Winnipeg, Nashville

Will be surprised if a few of these teams aren't in the Conference Finals - but would love if The Isle or Columbus came out of the Metro and St. Louis came out of the Norris (or whatever it's called nowadays) as a Columbus vs. St. Louis Final is what we all dream about.
Boston is definitely not a favourite

St Louis plays in the Central division btw

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Boston is definitely not a favourite

St Louis plays in the Central division btw

Boston is 9 points back of the Leafs, but have 4 games in hand. They've also had some horrendous luck with injuries this year and have some youngsters filling key spots who should be improving as the season rolls along. I'm not sure I'd call them favorites, but don't discount them.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Boston is 9 points back of the Leafs, but have 4 games in hand. They've also had some horrendous luck with injuries this year and have some youngsters filling key spots who should be improving as the season rolls along. I'm not sure I'd call them favorites, but don't discount them.
I don't think the Leafs are favourites either. Boston does look like the biggest contender for a playoff spot in the Atlantic outside of Tampa and Toronto comfortably though

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
League is weak this year, weaker than 2011-12 even. Sharks, hawks, ducks, dont really scare me anymore -crazy to say those words. I think nashville could drop the Jets, but I still think them and tampa are the strongest, just because so many d-men were poached it seems like offense is worth more than usual. Im praying for kings-jets west final.
Nashville scares me the most out of the West.

Oct 18, 2011
League is weak this year, weaker than 2011-12 even. Sharks, hawks, ducks, dont really scare me anymore -crazy to say those words. I think nashville could drop the Jets, but I still think them and tampa are the strongest, just because so many d-men were poached it seems like offense is worth more than usual. Im praying for kings-jets west final.
Anaheim has not had anywhere close to their full roster for a single game this year and are hanging around I honestly think people have no clue what they've been putting out there most of the season, the silver lining has been Gibson taking the next step as a goalie. With Henrique Anaheim is going to have 3 scoring lines when healthy which has always been the biggest problem in terms of getting over the hump, keep sleepin my friend

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Jets are too irresponsible with the puck and kinda slow and don't recover well, no way are they winning the cup.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Absolutely no love for the Jackets. Funny thing is, this doesn’t surprise me at all.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
The Jets went on a little mini losing streak, but play in a much tougher division than Toronto. And I say that as a Bruins fan.

I'd probably have Pitt and LA ahead of Winnipeg, but your top 5 is solid.

Winnipeg are 1-3-2 vs the Atlantic (Toronto is 5-1-1). Toronto is 3-1-0 vs the Central (Winnipeg is 5-1-1).

Division argument is pretty irrelevant right now. Both teams are very similarly relying on their goaltending being amazing along with good offense. Jets team defense is overrated. Had the same problems as Toronto just without an answer to them like Toronto had (Andersen).

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
how do you figure that? Nashville is great and I love them but they aren't quite on Tampa's level
I don't see why they aren't. They made the finals last year and then went out and got themselves a legit second line center. Tampas stars are flashier and more high octane but Nashville is pretty much a perfectly built team. This from a Steve yzerman fan boy that heavily favors Tampa. I think they're pretty much equal.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Absolutely no love for the Jackets. Funny thing is, this doesn’t surprise me at all.
Nice team and I cant speak for other but I need to see Bob be Bob in the playoffs and have them win a round before I can call them a contender. I'll be rooting them against anyone but Tampa, though.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Nice team and I cant speak for other but I need to see Bob be Bob in the playoffs and have them win a round before I can call them a contender. I'll be rooting them against anyone but Tampa, though.

don’t understand how the Pens can be mentioned in this article and not CBJ. Penguins have looked nothing like the Pens we saw last season. Regression at its finest.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
don’t understand how the Pens can be mentioned in this article and not CBJ. Penguins have looked nothing like the Pens we saw last season. Regression at its finest.
Because the pens are two time defending champs with virtually the same roster. It's not hard to understand that trumps a slow start. If you had to gamble your life on the pens or jackets winning the cup who would you honestly go with?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
how do you figure that? Nashville is great and I love them but they aren't quite on Tampa's level
Why not? Tampa has the better top end forwards but Nashville has a better defense and IMO the better coach (something I don't think Tampa fans would disagree with, that's for sure). With the addition of Turris their top 6 is actually very impressive, it was easily their biggest hole. Allows Bonino to slide into the 3rd C where he should be.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Winnipeg are 1-3-2 vs the Atlantic (Toronto is 5-1-1). Toronto is 3-1-0 vs the Central (Winnipeg is 5-1-1).

Division argument is pretty irrelevant right now. Both teams are very similarly relying on their goaltending being amazing along with good offense. Jets team defense is overrated. Had the same problems as Toronto just without an answer to them like Toronto had (Andersen).

You do know that Winnipeg has allowed one fewer goal than Toronto and Hellebuyck has pretty similar stats to Andersen...

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I have no idea who can/will win the Stanley Cup anymore, and I'm pretty nobody does.

Back in the late-80s and 90s, it was easier to focus on two or three teams that had a chance, and several times I guessed correctly.

Nowadays, it's more of a random crap-shoot among 10 or 12 teams that all have the same small (but significant) chance. I suppose that's good for the fan in those championship-desperate towns that hope to see one local Cup-team before they die (e.g., Toronto), but I'm not sure it's good for fans in general of the NHL that want to see a dominant team that everyone else needs to topple. Such is the nature of over-expansion and the salary-cap League.

It's good, I guess, that Pittsburgh won two in a row so it will actually be a slightly big deal if/when they lose next spring (not that anyone would be shocked). Given that Edmonton is crapping away another season, I guess I would just as soon see Pittsburgh win again so that a team can win three in a row, adding to the drama next year.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
If I had to bet, I would bet on the Penguins. Murray is money in the playoffs. Good scoring depth to go with that high end talent. Defense is not great but you can't have everything. If they win three in a row, they become a true dynasty especially in today's climate of parity.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I can't really get a solid top 5 atm but my top 3 are NSH, TBL and STL.
Theres about 8 or 9 teams i can slot anywhere from 4 to 11 or 12.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Leafs fans only get to sit at the big boys table when they have a defense to speak of.

East favorites: Tampa, Stamkos and friends, that team my cousin Vinny used to play for

West: Nashville, Los Angeles, St. Louis

Winnipeg has a bit of maturation to do before i consider them legit. They need a run like Edmonton had first before they jump right into the mix imo.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I have no idea who can/will win the Stanley Cup anymore, and I'm pretty nobody does.

Back in the late-80s and 90s, it was easier to focus on two or three teams that had a chance, and several times I guessed correctly.

Nowadays, it's more of a random crap-shoot among 10 or 12 teams that all have the same small (but significant) chance. I suppose that's good for the fan in those championship-desperate towns that hope to see one local Cup-team before they die (e.g., Toronto), but I'm not sure it's good for fans in general of the NHL that want to see a dominant team that everyone else needs to topple. Such is the nature of over-expansion and the salary-cap League.

It's good, I guess, that Pittsburgh won two in a row so it will actually be a slightly big deal if/when they lose next spring (not that anyone would be shocked). Given that Edmonton is crapping away another season, I guess I would just as soon see Pittsburgh win again so that a team can win three in a row, adding to the drama next year.
I don't really agree with this at all. The top three or so contenders have been easy to determine the last decade plus. The only team you can really say that was unexpected perhaps was Boston. LA struggled to make the playoffs but most people identified they were on the cusp on contending that first cup run. Anaheim, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago, L.A. second cup they were all clear cut contenders. The thought that there's better odds amongst a larger group of teams is a myth,imo. The windows may be shorter for the elite,but that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad