An (early) look at the Stanley Cup Favourites

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
crosby_sidney_stanley_cup.jpg

We're over a quarter way through the season and some teams stand out more than others as potential cup contenders.

I touched on this here if you want a read and see if your team looks like one of the early favourites.

HawkeyIntangibles: An Early Look at the 2017-2018 Stanley Cup Favourites

Thanks for the feedback from a lot of members here, really appreciate it :)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Before I opened this thread I came to post how Winnipeg is the candidate no one's talking about. Then I saw the OP, the list, and that the Jets are on it.

Their forward group is as good as anyone's and their defense is very deep with a Kulikov-Myers third pairing. Goaltending is the questionmark. Hellebuyck has been very good so far. But it remains to be seen if he can keep it up over the whole season. If so, the Jets are a legitimate contender.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Imo any of the top 10 teams have a roughly similar chance of winning it all, slight advantage to the Bolts. As a Jets fan I think the Jets are ranked too high.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Good list, im a little surprised Winnipeg is getting the attention now they deserve!, not to sure about LA?...

Before I opened this thread I came to post how Winnipeg is the candidate no one's talking about. Then I saw the OP, the list, and that the Jets are on it.

Their forward group is as good as anyone's and their defense is very deep with a Kulikov-Myers third pairing. Goaltending is the questionmark. Hellebuyck has been very good so far. But it remains to be seen if he can keep it up over the whole season. If so, the Jets are a legitimate contender.

I definitely wanted to give Winnipeg their due. Helleybuck so far has been the real deal.

I figured the biggest question would be why I don't have Los Angeles higher...wanted to see how they look with Carter, I do kind of wonder how they'll do scoring wise in the post-season with the group as it currently stands. I would like to see them make one more acquisition.

1. Tampa Bay Lighting
2. Tampa Lightning
3. Bolts
4. Team Stamkos and Kucherov

Good team, easy favourite in the East.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Jets but not Leafs LOL

Leafs need to fix 3C and defense. Leafs are my favourite team but I tried to be very honest with my assessment. We've been giving up 35-40 shots on the regular these days, need to tighten things up.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs need to fix 3C and defense. Leafs are my favourite team but I tried to be very honest with my assessment. We've been giving up 35-40 shots on the regular these days, need to tighten things up.

Jets have a rookie goalie, slow defence, and made the playoffs three years ago.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Jets have a rookie goalie, slow defence, and made the playoffs three years ago.

Helleybuck played 56 games last season, had his ups and downs but looking good this year. The Leafs had missed the playoffs for several seasons until last year. Every season things change.

Outside of Buff on Winnipeg who is slow? Myers, Morrissey, and Enstrom are fast. Trouba and Kulikov get around just fine as well.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Tampa Bay and... the rest of the league.

A lot can happen between now and then, but the Bolts look primed to go to the SCF. Who comes out of the West, though, is a better question.

Reactions: Jets2point0

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Helleybuck played 56 games last season, had his ups and downs but looking good this year. The Leafs had missed the playoffs for several seasons until last year. Every season things change.

Outside of Buff on Winnipeg who is slow? Myers, Morrissey, and Enstrom are fast. Trouba and Kulikov get around just fine as well.

Most of those guys are slow.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I am starting to suspect that you haven't watched Winnipeg.
I watch a few games,

All Leafs, half of the Oiler games. Winnipeg isn't a team that I make a point of watching. When I do, the group as a whole looks pretty slow.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Watch. Washington has been average... Will win the Cup. :laugh:

You know, it could play out that way. In my playoff hockey pool I stopped taking any SJS players after being burned so many times. They went to the final.

Washington hasn't impressed this season but even if they did it's at the point where it's simply "Show me"

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The ringing endorsement for the Lightning is nice but let's get to the playoffs first. None of this means anything unless we're playing 6 months from now. It all just feels like a jinx right now

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Lol...

The Pittsburgh Penguins get the benefit of the doubt as they're back-to-back Stanley Cup Champions. They even have Kris Letang around this year, which is a major boost for their defense

Major boost?? Dude has blown ass almost all season long. Points aren't everything.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad