An (early) look at the Stanley Cup Favourites

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Winnipeg: Has a legit #1C and a ton of talent up front. There's good depth on the blueline, but no legit #1D. Helleybuck is also still slightly unpredictable, coming off a fairly weak year last year, but off to a pretty solid start this year. I think he's probably a legit #1G, but if he wasn't it wouldn't be a complete shock - could be more of an inconsistent starter like Neuvirth, Mason, Reimer, Bernier, etc (i.e. guys that can put up a 0.915-0.920 save % once every 2-3 years). 4th in goals for, 9th in goals against.
You're right but what does it matter?

It's weird people think you need to have a legit this and that. WPG arguably has the best d-core in the league.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Basically the best team in the NHL + who is popular and will like my article if I add them a the expense of teams that are actually better than those teams.

Pretty sorry article really.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Myers = not quite sure yet. He has a reputation for being a great skater, but he has not stood out in these three games I've been studying. His first few steps seems 'meh', and he feels lanky/poorly balanched. But then again he's 6'8". I need to watch him more to get a better assessment.
Chiarot = Stands out as the worst skater on the Jets defense. But then again he's their 7th defenseman when they're healthy.

Keep in mind it's a little tricky to study defensemen in this area, since they don't have to use their speed as much as forwards do, hence why they're able log so much icetime. But overall I'd say the Jets defense group is just fine.

Myers missed all of last year. This past month he's been skating really well out there and really driving the puck forward. I think if you watched him more now you'd see he looks a lot better.
Chiarot is definitely a weak spot for us, but like you mentioned he's #7, so can't expect much more than that.

All in all, I'll be happy with a first round win. Team is exciting and fun to watch, even if they don't make it far they're giving us months of entertainment game in and game out.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Really? You think the Bolts have the same record if they have to survive the gauntlet that is the Metro?
We've played more against the Metro than against any other division (including the Atlantic). We're 7-3-2 against the Metro.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
We've played more against the Metro than against any other division (including the Atlantic). We're 7-3-2 against the Metro.

So 7-5? ;) Seriously though, I think the Bolts are the favorite but getting to play the Wings, Sabres, Panthers a lot certainly skews the record a bit.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think the two OT losses were both in a SO, so I'd prefer to call it 7-3-2.

Honestly when I do wins and losses in my head I only count regulation stuff. The 3v3 and shootouts are just there to keep the bottom teams “in the hunt”.

I have heard many coaches in media scrums say this as well. “In the real hockey that was played we were fine” kinda thing.

So in the real hockey the Bolts are 17-5, which is really good!

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
I still think you have to put Pittsburgh at #1.

There are 2 components to winning a cup.

1. Having a good (great?) team.
2. "Putting it together" at the right time.

#2 is so much more difficult than #1.

And while on paper you can put some teams ahead of Pitt for the first category (Tampa, etc) - a back to back cup champion is impossible to ignore for the 2nd category.

They should still be #1.

They are not even in the playoffs at this point and you have them as the favorites? Ok then.

Nov 24, 2006
You're right but what does it matter?

It's weird people think you need to have a legit this and that. WPG arguably has the best d-core in the league.

No they don't.

What they do have - now that Buff is playing less, Myers is not in the hospital, and since signing Kulikov - is 6 NHL ready defencemen. They've never had that since arriving from Atlanta.

Nashville, St. Louis have much better D cores.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Jets have a rookie goalie, slow defence, and made the playoffs three years ago.
neither team are true contenders. first year in the playoffs, it's a learning experience for them.

the leafs would be contenders if they could get their forwards and goaltending clicking at the same time. it woild take a really good run. but I dont see it this year.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No they don't.

What they do have - now that Buff is playing less, Myers is not in the hospital, and since signing Kulikov - is 6 NHL ready defencemen. They've never had that since arriving from Atlanta.

even tampa.

MidWestJet

Jan 13, 2014
No they don't.

I think he was referring to depth, id say they have a top 5 defensive depth in the legue

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They are not even in the playoffs at this point and you have them as the favorites? Ok then.

They will make the playoffs though. It's been 30 games. They're 0 points out of the playoffs with 50+ games to go. So yeah - I still have them as favorites, easily so.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No they don't.

St.Louis's left side is kinda iffy, my 2 cents.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
No they don't.

I did say 'arguably' though. But then again I don't want to get into an argument about it so agree to disagree.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I still think you have to put Pittsburgh at #1.

There are 2 components to winning a cup.

1. Having a good (great?) team.
2. "Putting it together" at the right time.

#2 is so much more difficult than #1.

And while on paper you can put some teams ahead of Pitt for the first category (Tampa, etc) - a back to back cup champion is impossible to ignore for the 2nd category.

They should still be #1.

Completely disagree, they have lost a few good pieces that have not been adequately replace AND they have A TON of mileage that other teams do not.

For example, take someone like Stamkos who has played 50 games in the past two seasons and he is a huge part of the SC contending lighting, now compare him to Crosby who has played nearly 210 games these past 2 years.

I think the talent level is there, but it's difficult to be physically AND mentally healthy after two insane runs back to back, just look at how good a RESTED LA looks this year compared to last. At some point, people do just get sick of Hockey as much as we want pros to be perfect robots who love the game regardless of doing it for 1000s of hours every year.

snopro31

Apr 21, 2007
MANITOBA
If the jets want to contend, dump Enstrom and find a replacement. Its a crutch to that group. I'm a Manitobian and I see the Jets getting to the second round but not further.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
If the jets want to contend, dump Enstrom and find a replacement. Its a crutch to that group. I'm a Manitobian and I see the Jets getting to the second round but not further.
I agree with this completely. I would though also be getting ASAP rid of Byfuglien too. Getting even reasonable return for him would also for sure help the Jets. Buff has been quite a problem for the Jets already for quite a while. Lots of stupid penalties and way too many mistakes at his own end. Also he is pretty much holding back the power play. Sure the PP has been much better this season, but it could be still so much better with a real PP quarterback D-man instead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad