Player Discussion An Early Look at the 2021 Seattle Expansion Draft

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Can't do it anyway- But I don't see it as "wasting" a spot if it is someone you want to keep? As of right now, I'd protect Carlo, McAvoy, and Grizz if I had to choose, so problem solved from my perspective were it allowed under the CBA.

I guess you can just... protect him? giving him the NMC or not giving it to him... if hes one of your best you protect him or if hes a bottom pair guy you dont

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I guess you can just... protect him? giving him the NMC or not giving it to him... if hes one of your best you protect him or if hes a bottom pair guy you dont

Well right, I thought I was being clever- but I did not do my CBA homework. He's only a bottom pair on this club with the way Bruce has set up his defense. He is a legit top four guy and once Chara hangs them up, or if Krug is allowed to walk, either or, we'll see that. The only area right now that I would give Krug minutes over Gryz is on the PP.

member 96824

Do we 100% know the rules of the expansion draft yet? I’m surprised GMs are spending their time worrying about EBUGs at the meetings instead of how they got collectively taken to the woodshed by Vegas

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
It would suck to lose Lauzon, future shut down D man, young, good size, nasty and aggressive.

Our project.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
How about this for some out of the box...

Sign Gryz to a one year extension taking him directly to UFA and leave him exposed. Does Seattle take him knowing he can walk in a year?

Reactions: Dr Hook

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Sign Gryz to a one year extension taking him directly to UFA and leave him exposed. Does Seattle take him knowing he can walk in a year?

No because iirc they have an exclusive window to talk to UFA's before FA opens. I like the idea, but your playing with fire IMO

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

A smart GM would never jerk one of his players around like this just to mitigate the "damage" (and I use that term loosely) from the expansion draft.

Reactions: Pia8988

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
If you don't want to lose Grizz to Seattle, you give him a one year NMC in his next contract this summer. Problem solved.

As others have said, you can't do that with non-UFAs, but it really wouldn't make a difference. It's not like you get an extra protection spot because of the NMC. It just forces the Bruins to use one of their spots on him. It doesn't benefit the Bruins at all. If they wanted to protect him, they would just do so. I bet you every top UFA this summer gets a NMC. They don't want to end up in a situation where they're forced to go to Seattle.

In a theoretical world, let's say Grzelcyk could get a NMC, and you re-sign Krug, who will absolutely be given a NMC wherever he signs. You're automatically forced to protect both of them. If you wanted to go with the 7/3/1 (F/D/G) protection, then you'd have to expose one of McAvoy or Carlo. If you wanted to protect four defensemen instead, suddenly you can only protect four forwards, and Bergeron, Marchand, and Coyle are auto-protects due to NMC, and then you're obviously protecting Pastrnak. You leave available DeBrusk and two other forwards you could have protected in the other option.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
No because iirc they have an exclusive window to talk to UFA's before FA opens. I like the idea, but your playing with fire IMO

I feel like this is an overstated advantage. The player's current team would have had years to negotiate with them, and if the player just waits one week they can negotiate with everyone else. I don't think Vegas really got any advantage out of it last time.

Basically, it sounds good, but is pretty meaningless.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I feel like this is an overstated advantage. The player's current team would have had years to negotiate with them, and if the player just waits one week they can negotiate with everyone else. I don't think Vegas really got any advantage out of it last time.

Basically, it sounds good, but is pretty meaningless.

Yes and no. If SEA has a few top priority UFA's, they have a week to make a deal. If their close from the start, they maybe able to take a player off the market. Maybe they have some guys that they're willing to overpay for in FA :dunno:

They have a 3 day window as well where they can talk to all FA's that were left unprotected (prior to the expansion draft). If they strike a deal than said player because SEA selection from that team. I doubt they'd do this, but IF i'm understanding the process right, they'd almost have two windows to see what UFA's are interested and how close they are.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Im torn on the approach to these in terms of player retention.

Specifically in, is it worth paying the ransom to keep a certain player? The first team that comes to my mind is the Ducks. If I recall correctly, they paid a hefty price to keep one of their young defensemen but had to give up another plus some picks, no?

Hopefully Sweeney can get something for some players that will need to be exposed via a team outside of Seattle prior to this expansion draft. I expect we'll probably see quite a few of these as that's where the value will come IMO. And not in "take this player and picks package instead" trades..

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Yes and no. If SEA has a few top priority UFA's, they have a week to make a deal. If their close from the start, they maybe able to take a player off the market. Maybe they have some guys that they're willing to overpay for in FA :dunno:

They have a 3 day window as well where they can talk to all FA's that were left unprotected (prior to the expansion draft). If they strike a deal than said player because SEA selection from that team. I doubt they'd do this, but IF i'm understanding the process right, they'd almost have two windows to see what UFA's are interested and how close they are.

Yeah, I get you, but the only way you're getting a player to sign early is if you overpay by a ton and threaten to pull the offer if they don't accept within the time limit. I just think it's not likely to happen. How many agents would tell a player to give up the ability to go to free agency that's just a week away? It would have to be a deal that Seattle would be stupid to make.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
What is the chance the Bruins extend Halak, and Halak being a viable option for Seattle to draft?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah, I get you, but the only way you're getting a player to sign early is if you overpay by a ton and threaten to pull the offer if they don't accept within the time limit. I just think it's not likely to happen. How many agents would tell a player to give up the ability to go to free agency that's just a week away? It would have to be a deal that Seattle would be stupid to make.

Lets use Grz for an example. We sign him to a 1yr deal and then he becomes a UFA and left unprotected. He'll be 27yr old and a PMD that can play in your top 4, I imagine he'd be a prime target for SEA. Maybe they see him as main piece for the backend they want to build and they offer him over market value and ya they probably say once FA opens up they can't promise this deal will still be available. Could it intice a guy to sign early? I think it could, but it depends on the motives of each person.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What is the chance the Bruins extend Halak, and Halak being a viable option for Seattle to draft?

Not bad thinking. I feel like the Bruins almost have to extend the guy at this point anyway and he probably doesn't want a one year deal. They don't really have anyone else to go to if Rask goes down, let alone as a workaday backup starting 30 games. I am not comfortable handing that job to Vladar just yet, Lagace is not an NHL player, really, and who else around the league can you get as a backup that would do the job better? Bruin would then have all of next season with te backup job locked down and a chance to see if Dan Valdar is the real deal.

Reactions: Absurdity

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

None. They aren't claiming a 36 year old goaltender when they will have the choice of one goaltender from 29 other teams. Especially not when they will have access to at least one good, relatively young D-man or forward from a deep organization like the Bruins.

Reactions: Absurdity

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
None. They aren't claiming a 36 year old goaltender when they will have the choice of one goaltender from 29 other teams. Especially not when they will have access to at least one good, relatively young D-man or forward from a deep organization like the Bruins.

Won't that really depend on who's available? If they are selecting from the Maxime Lagace's of the world, a veteran proven NHL goalie under contract for a year might be exactly what they want as a backup or 1b starter. Even if a team had a decent goalie, they might also be making available a player Seattle wants more. You just never know till it happens.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I've been thinking more about the expansion draft in general versus who the Bruins are going to protect.

I think one of the problems with the expansion draft is that we underestimate how good a team full of 3rd line forwards and 2nd pairing defensemen can be. Then add in that you might end up with an overpaid 2nd line player or starting goalie. After the stars, there's not a huge difference between 2nd and 3rd line forwards, and plenty of 3rd line forwards can overperform.

I think they should have met in the middle between the 2000 and 2017 expansion drafts. In 2000, you could protect 9 forwards, 5 defensemen, and 1 goalie or 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 2 goalies. I think for 2021, it should have just been 1 goalie and 11 skaters. You could protect 9 forwards and 2 defensemen, or 7 defensemen and 4 forwards. Just let teams protect their 11 best/most valuable skaters. Don't punish teams for having depth.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Won't that really depend on who's available? If they are selecting from the Maxime Lagace's of the world, a veteran proven NHL goalie under contract for a year might be exactly what they want as a backup or 1b starter. Even if a team had a decent goalie, they might also be making available a player Seattle wants more. You just never know till it happens.

You can only protect 1 goalie yes? There will be tons of good goalies available especially with the trend more towards 1A/1B then the old school starter/back up

Reactions: Dr Hook

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
A smart GM would never jerk one of his players around like this just to mitigate the "damage" (and I use that term loosely) from the expansion draft.

So I don't follow. How is leaving him exposed as a UFA worse than leaving him exposed on a contract? Which one do you think jerks him around more?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
With the exception that Vegas doesn’t have to protect/lose anyone.

So a 2nd team to make some side deals to prevent losing for nothing a player you don’t want.

I've read Bettman has already stated that every trade including Vegas will be looked at and needs his green light to go through.
Though, I'm not sure how serious that is.

Anyways, I doubt teams will be pushed around by us like they were by Vegas given that they had way more time to prepare for the expansion draft and certainly have learned a couple of lessons from 2017.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
If Krug were to re-sign (let's say for 6 years and between 36 and 42m), wouldn't you rather expose him than Lauzon (assuming he continues to develop)? At least we would be freed of a good chunk of salary if they selected Krug, which could be re-located elsewhere. Cap flexibility is a very valuable asset in this league.

And if they know that they have to expose multiple good D's, I'd want them to trade those guys for a top 6 RW. We don't have enough offensive players that are worth being protected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad