Player Discussion An Early Look at the 2021 Seattle Expansion Draft

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I’d be willing to make a trade with Seattle that has them taking Moore in exchange for a pick or even giving them an extra prospect. We saw Vegas wheel and deal before their draft. Maybe Seattle does as well.
I wonder what this would cost. Imo that’s the worst player on the table. If I’m Seattle I’m taking almost everyone before him. Although. He isn’t bad. He just has the lowest ceiling of all the available D. We know what he is. Grz Lauzon Clifton are all better then him by a large margin.

Zboril is a wild card at this point. I’ve barely seen him play. But just based on draft slot and what they seem to say about him on the providence board he has a higher value even. But ya would be cool if all the weakest players were taken off the roster.

Reactions: bbfan419

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
Seems pretty straight-forward based on what we have today and assuming Krug is extended.

Protect - Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Coyle, Debrusk. Kase, Ritchie, McAvoy, Carlo, Krug.

Quality players exposed:

F - Wagner, Bjork, Kuhlman, Senyshyn, Frederic

D - Moore, Gryz, Lauzon, Clifton, Zboril

G - Vlader (assuming Rask is extended).

Extremely good chance Seattle takes a D.

Considering their seeming reluctance to move him, would be surprised to see the bruins protect ritchie over frederic

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Smart money is they pick Gryz
Lauzon Looks really good to me. He is bigger stronger and younger. Gryz is great don’t get me wrong. But Lauzon looks like he could be a great shut down d one day.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Lauzon Looks really good to me. He is bigger stronger and younger. Gryz is great don’t get me wrong. But Lauzon looks like he could be a great shut down d one day.
yep. Losing Lauzon would be make me sad. If Krug signs he and McAvoy have to offensive side of things covered, and i'm not totally enamored with rolling 2 D the size of Krug and Gryz, so although i love him, i could live with losing Gryz. great defenses need a couple guys like Lauzon and Carlo. Chara being 8165 years old makes it even more critical

Reactions: sarge88

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
No because he is going to be automatically protected.

I want them to make a trade rather than expose anyone

I don't know. Many of the trades teams made last time didn't work out so well. It might just be worth it to hope that Seattle makes a bad evaluation and takes someone you're not as worried about losing.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think Senyshyn is safe regardless. Frederic, I'm not so sure. Bruins will have two spots to protect Bjork, Frederic, Kase, or Ritchie. Would not protecting one of these four forwards keep Seattle's eyes off of the Bruins' defensemen? Would have to think cap hit plays a part in who they choose as well.

Barring some crazy increase in production, I wouldn't protect Ritchie

Reactions: bbfan419 and Estlin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Considering their seeming reluctance to move him, would be surprised to see the bruins protect ritchie over frederic

Well at this point one is an established NHL player who can post 35-40 points. The other is toiling away in the AHL. We'll see what next year brings, the Bruins will likely protect whoever is the better player. Also consider the age differences between the two players isn't all that big.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
good point

Either way though we can’t let them take Gryz/Lauzon off us

I can’t see us not making a trade to keep those 2

Every team that made a trade with Vegas to protect an unprotected player regretted it.

Vaakaneinen is exempt. Paying Seattle to not take a LD doesn't make sense. Gryz, Lauzon, Vaakaneinen, Zboril, Moore. Even if Chara and Krug are gone by then, how many LD can you play? I'd rather keep the picks. If you can make a hockey deal with Gryz for a forward, fine.

Last edited:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Well at this point one is an established NHL player who can post 35-40 points. The other is toiling away in the AHL. We'll see what next year brings, the Bruins will likely protect whoever is the better player. Also consider the age differences between the two players isn't all that big.
I’d be surprised if they protect either one. It would be a blessing if Seattle took one of them instead of Lauzon

Reactions: bbfan419

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Why on Earth would Ritchie be protected (or be worth protecting)?

You mean Nick right? Why wouldn't they? A young 40 point power winger. Honestly the guys they would be exposing like Bjork and Kuhlman are one step up from JAG territory and their skill-sets are far easier to acquire. Frederic and Senyshyn may never be NHL regulars.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’d be surprised if they protect either one. It would be a blessing if Seattle took one of them instead of Lauzon

Who exactly would the Bruins protect over them? Bjork? Senyshyn? Kuhlman? I'd probably take a couple of them over Frederic, but not Ritchie.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You mean Nick right? Why wouldn't they? A young 40 point power winger. Honestly the guys they would be exposing like Bjork and Kuhlman are one step up from JAG territory and their skill-sets are far easier to acquire. Frederic and Senyshyn may never be NHL regulars.

His career P/GP puts him barley over 30pts. I'd hardly call him a young 40 point winger.

Reactions: Estlin

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
The reality is that it's too early to be making projections. We need to see what happens in free agency first, and then where the line-up is next year.

I think the forward locks are Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, and DeBrusk. Then, on defense, it's McAvoy and Carlo.

The other two forward spots and defense spot are up for grabs. Currently, it's probably between Kase, Bjork, Ritchie, and maybe Frederic at forward, and then Krug, Grzelcyk, and maybe Lauzon on defense.

Reactions: Estlin and bbfan419

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He's got 21 in 45 games this year, most playing for a bad team that can't score. Over 82 games would give him 38 points.

So you're just going to use a sample size of 45 games and ignore everything else he's done in his career?

The guy played Adam Henrique (45-50pt center) and Ondrej Kase (39pt winger) for ANH this year, lets not pretend like he was playing with garbage players.

SEA isn't going to be licking its chops to select Ritchie.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So you're just going to use a sample size of 45 games and ignore everything else he's done in his career?

The guy played Adam Henrique (45-50pt center) and Ondrej Kase (39pt winger) for ANH this year, lets not pretend like he was playing with garbage players.

SEA isn't going to be licking its chops to select Ritchie.

Nor will they be licking their chops for the likes of Bjork, Kuhlman, Senyshyn, Frederic, etc. Face it, once you get past the top 5 guys, there isn't much to choose from out of the next group, so you gotta pick 2 more. And Kase and Ritchie are the most established of that next group of players, and offer the most unique skill-sets (right-shot scoring ability in Kase and power-winger in Ritchie).

Yeah I'm going with his most recent level of production this season, I really don't care about the previous years, doesn't really mean anything, were not negotiating a new contract here. I'm only concerned about what he is today, not two years ago.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
F- Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, Coyle, Debrusk, X, X
D- McAvoy, Carlo, Krug or X
G- Rask

As far as I'm concerned the last 2 forward slots and last defense slot unless Krug re-signs are up in the air. Let's see who earns them over the next 15 months

Last edited:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Who exactly would the Bruins protect over them? Bjork? Senyshyn? Kuhlman? I'd probably take a couple of them over Frederic, but not Ritchie.

ya I guess who knows. I’m just assuming they lose a defence man and Seattle probably wouldn’t take any of them.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
ya I guess who knows. I’m just assuming they lose a defence man and Seattle probably wouldn’t take any of them.

Yup, that's pretty much it. Seattle will take one of Gryz/Lauzon/Clifton/Zboril. Most likely Gryz or Lauzon. They do have salary cap requirements to meet, which may lean them more towards Gryz than say Lauzon or Clifton.

I don't see much of an issue. Washington for example, handed over Nate Schmidt who became Vegas's No.1 D-man the next season and subsequently defeated his Knights to win the cup 12 months later. Bruins are deep on D, whichever of the 4 D that are picked the Bruins will roll right along as if they were never here, and that's not a knock on either of those D (I like them) just indicative of how the Bruins are well-equipped to lose a decent player.

That being said, I'm sure the expansion draft will be beat to death around here for the next 16 months.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
We lose Gryz or Lauzon. We don't have any forwards that will be exposed that are worth taking.

I was upset at the propsect of losing one of those guys, but looking at what the blue line could look like in 2 years, I am very much at ease about everything.

Gry/Lauzon-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Vaak-Clifton
Zboril

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
As of right now the only guys that I no doubt protect:

FWD - Pastrnak & DeBrusk
DEF - McAvoy, Carlo, Grzelcyk*

*If Krug re-signs then Krug slots into that spot and Grzelcyk would be exposed.

So right now I have two open spots to protect a forward. I'd lean towards protecting Bjork & Kase, but the Wild Cards are Frederic & Senyshyn. I don't think SEA would target either, but if they came up next year and had solid years, they could become targets.
I would protect Lauzon ahead of Gryz and even Krug.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Seems pretty straight-forward based on what we have today and assuming Krug is extended.

Protect - Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Coyle, Debrusk. Kase, Ritchie, McAvoy, Carlo, Krug.

Quality players exposed:

F - Wagner, Bjork, Kuhlman, Senyshyn, Frederic

D - Moore, Gryz, Lauzon, Clifton, Zboril

G - Vlader (assuming Rask is extended).

Extremely good chance Seattle takes a D.
I keep Lauzon over Krug, that is why it is important to not give him a NMC in his next contract, NTC sure, but not the NMC. although If he wants more than $7M AAV, I trade his rights for a pick and move on.

Reactions: Carlon Brando

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
How does it work with RFA and UFA?

Let's say for argument's sake that Pasta was due to be a UFA on July 1. Could Seattle claim him in the Expansion draft in June and try to sign him or take the chance that he re-signs somewhere else?
Seattle gets exclusive negotiating rights with all UFA I think for a week or so.

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad