Player Discussion An Early Look at the 2021 Seattle Expansion Draft

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I was contemplating making this thread in the offseason since there still are some unknowns as to who will be on the roster next season (Chara, Krug, offseason trades, etc.), but I think with the recent trade deadline acquisitions and the Bruins most likely going the 7-3-1 route, I think there are some interesting discussions to be made. Plus, I have seen some of you discuss it in some of the other threads.

As we all know, a year and three months from now, the Seattle Expansion draft will take place. As of right now, Marchand, Bergeron, and Coyle are the only players on the roster that will need to be protected. The expectation going into this season seemed to be that the Bruins were going to lose a defenseman, however, with the recent additions of Ritchie and Kase, could that lead to the Bruins losing a forward instead? Here is a list of forwards and defensemen that will be exposed in the draft.

NOTE:
I will not be including Krejci or Kuraly since their deals expire in the 2021 offseason which makes it less likely Seattle claims either since they can still technically sign with anyone. I will also only be listing forwards and defensemen that I think could make an impact on the roster long term for the Bruins but feel free to talk about any of the players that are not listed.

Who would you protect (keep in mind 2F, 1D, and 1G need to be exposed)? Do you think the Bruins should make a trade with Seattle or just bite the bullet and lose a player?

Forwards (4): Pastrnak (UFA 2023), Kase (RFA 2021), Nick Ritchie (RFA 2021), Wagner (UFA 2023), Frederic (RFA 2021), Bjork (RFA 2020), DeBrusk (RFA 2020), Senyshyn (RFA 2020), Kuhlman (RFA 2020)

Defensemen (3): Chara? (UFA 2020), Krug? (UFA 2020), McAvoy (RFA 2022), Carlo (RFA 2021), Moore (UFA 2023), Grzelcyk (RFA 2020), Zboril (RFA 2020), Lauzon (RFA 2022), Clifton (UFA 2023)

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Who would you protect (keep in mind 2F, 1D, and 1G need to be exposed)? Do you think the Bruins should make a trade with Seattle or just bite the bullet and lose a player?

Forwards (4): Pastrnak (UFA 2023), Kase (RFA 2021), Nick Ritchie (RFA 2021), Wagner (UFA 2023), Frederic (RFA 2021), Bjork (RFA 2020), DeBrusk (RFA 2020), Senyshyn (RFA 2020), Kuhlman (RFA 2020)

Defensemen (3): Chara? (UFA 2020), Krug? (UFA 2020), McAvoy (RFA 2022), Carlo (RFA 2021), Moore (UFA 2023), Grzelcyk (RFA 2020), Zboril (RFA 2020), Lauzon (RFA 2022), Clifton (UFA 2023)

As of right now the only guys that I no doubt protect:

FWD - Pastrnak & DeBrusk
DEF - McAvoy, Carlo, Grzelcyk*

*If Krug re-signs then Krug slots into that spot and Grzelcyk would be exposed.

So right now I have two open spots to protect a forward. I'd lean towards protecting Bjork & Kase, but the Wild Cards are Frederic & Senyshyn. I don't think SEA would target either, but if they came up next year and had solid years, they could become targets.

Reactions: wintersej

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Krug gets a NMC and assuming Carlo & McAvoy are protected the Kraken’s will know other than Vaakanainen everyone else playing D is fair game

Seattle should get a very good asset from Boston

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
As of right now the only guys that I no doubt protect:

FWD - Pastrnak & DeBrusk
DEF - McAvoy, Carlo, Grzelcyk*

*If Krug re-signs then Krug slots into that spot and Grzelcyk would be exposed.

So right now I have two open spots to protect a forward. I'd lean towards protecting Bjork & Kase, but the Wild Cards are Frederic & Senyshyn. I don't think SEA would target either, but if they came up next year and had solid years, they could become targets.
I think Senyshyn is safe regardless. Frederic, I'm not so sure. Bruins will have two spots to protect Bjork, Frederic, Kase, or Ritchie. Would not protecting one of these four forwards keep Seattle's eyes off of the Bruins' defensemen? Would have to think cap hit plays a part in who they choose as well.

Reactions: wintersej

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If Krug gets a NMC and assuming Carlo & McAvoy are protected the Kraken’s will know other than Vaakanainen everyone else playing D is fair game

Seattle should get a very good asset from Boston

Or Lauzon.

Reactions: DKH

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Seems pretty straight-forward based on what we have today and assuming Krug is extended.

Protect - Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Coyle, Debrusk. Kase, Ritchie, McAvoy, Carlo, Krug.

Quality players exposed:

F - Wagner, Bjork, Kuhlman, Senyshyn, Frederic

D - Moore, Gryz, Lauzon, Clifton, Zboril

G - Vlader (assuming Rask is extended).

Extremely good chance Seattle takes a D.

Reactions: Blowfish

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
How does it work with RFA and UFA?

Let's say for argument's sake that Pasta was due to be a UFA on July 1. Could Seattle claim him in the Expansion draft in June and try to sign him or take the chance that he re-signs somewhere else?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Am I right in assuming that a team can lose only one player? If, for example Krug is re-signed and Grzelcyk is drafted are all the forwards and goalies safe?

Good thread, BTW, as we are inching closer to the expansion draft and have to start planning.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Seems pretty straight-forward based on what we have today and assuming Krug is extended.

Protect - Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Coyle, Debrusk. Kase, Ritchie, McAvoy, Carlo, Krug.

Quality players exposed:

Yup I see it pretty close to this

offer Seattle a 2nd round pick maybe more if needed to take Moore and keep Lauzon/Gryz

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
How does it work with RFA and UFA?

Let's say for argument's sake that Pasta was due to be a UFA on July 1. Could Seattle claim him in the Expansion draft in June and try to sign him or take the chance that he re-signs somewhere else?

my understanding is that they could choose a pending UFA but it’d be a massive waste as they will get an exclusive window to talk to pending UFA’s prior to July 1 anyway.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Am I right in assuming that a team can lose only one player? If, for example Krug is re-signed and Grzelcyk is drafted are all the forwards and goalies safe?

Good thread, BTW, as we are inching closer to the expansion draft and have to start planning.
That is correct. Each team can only lose one player.

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
I’d be willing to make a trade with Seattle that has them taking Moore in exchange for a pick or even giving them an extra prospect. We saw Vegas wheel and deal before their draft. Maybe Seattle does as well.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Quality players exposed:

Why on Earth would Ritchie be protected (or be worth protecting)?

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
look at that line up of young dmen. I don’t think we loosing a forward. I bet not many teams will be leaving that many quality young D on the table. Just because there probably won’t be many better options for Seattle on the back end.
I think if the bruins are going 7-3-1 then they Lose
Lauzon
If they protect 8 they lose debrusk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad