My wildest attempt is...

- Kotkaniemi
- Habs 2020 1st (top 3 protection)
- Grade B asset (Hillis or Ylonen) or a 2020 2nd
- 2nd round pick in 2021
- Alzner (cap reasons)
for
- Kopitar (His entire contract)

Alzner would be perfect to play for tank years. If not, buy him out and the cost would be less than any retention another team would want on Kopitar :naughty:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
For fun:

Malkin + Letang + Bjugstad

for

Kopitar + Doughty + Toffoli

anigif_sub-buzz-24127-1513022840-4.gif

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
It's worse than that. Firsts AND blue chip prospects (plural). Even if someone were to agree to 2 or 3 firsts, there's no way anyone would offer 2 to 3 firsts on top of multiple blue chippers. Anze is a great player, but that's just a ridiculous amount for anyone.

Three firsts? Not with a $10 M cap hit. Nope. Eat some of it, maybe.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
:laugh:

So that's what overpaid 30+ 70 point centers go for.
I mean Duchene brought back a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, and three prospects that were drafted in the 1st or 2nd round and he's had more than 60 points 3 times in his career to go along with 0 Selke awards and 0 Stanley Cups.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I mean Duchene brought back a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, and three prospects that were drafted in the 1st or 2nd round and he's had more than 60 points 3 times in his career to go along with 0 Selke awards and 0 Stanley Cups.
At the age 27 on a good contract.

It amazes me so many people seem to still be trading for players the way they are on the ice. In cap era, that is gone. You trade for the situation that you know you will be able to make work cap-wise. Teams pretty much give up as many firsts to get players as they do to get rid of players. The moment you become overpaid your trade value sinks like a stone, even if you have all the Selkies in the world.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Have to laugh at those who think an unknown 1st round pick in the future could be just as good as Kopitar when the chances are more likely for that pick to potentially turn into the next Kris Beech or Gilbert Brule or Cam Barker.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
At the age 27 on a good contract.

It amazes me so many people seem to still be trading for players the way they are on the ice. In cap era, that is gone. You trade for the situation that you know you will be able to make work cap-wise. Teams pretty much give up as many firsts to get players as they do to get rid of players. The moment you become overpaid your trade value sinks like a stone, even if you have all the Selkies in the world.

Overpaid because hes still a near ppg offensive player? or because his defense is just as good as his offense? ... His only real comparable is Patrice Bergeron and he's underpaid... To get these types of guys it takes a gross overpayment and you do it because youre one player away from winning eternal glory!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Overpaid because hes still a near ppg offensive player? or because his defense is just as good as his offense? ... His only real comparable is Patrice Bergeron and he's underpaid... To get these types of guys it takes a gross overpayment and you do it because youre one player away from winning eternal glory!
How Toews isn't comparable? And he has pretty much turned into a meme as a player being overpaid for "intangibles". Kopitar's contract, if anything, is even worse.

Actually it takes a high draft pick to get these types of guys, mostly. That's how Kings and Blackhawks got those 2 guys and did reach eternal glory. They, however, turned the overpayment route afterward and how is that working out?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
How Toews isn't comparable? And he has pretty much turned into a meme as a player being overpaid for "intangibles". Kopitar's contract, if anything, is even worse.

Actually it takes a high draft pick to get these types of guys, mostly. That's how Kings and Blackhawks got those 2 guys and did reach eternal glory. They, however, turned the overpayment route afterward and how is that working out?
It's working out fine. Kopitar is just as productive offensively and defensively as ever. It's the rest of the Kings team that's the problem.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

Correction, much like the Kings the Hawks traded away valuable pieces from picks to Panarin to depth..
Depth my friend is why the Kings are at the bottom and improved depth is why the Hawks are fighting for a playoff spot.. Even now you'd be hard pressed to find many teams where Kopitar wouldnt be their best player..

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
There is no value, because he's going nowhere. He's a King for life. Blake already stated that he's not on the table.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Multiple blue chip prospects, on top of 2 or 3 first rounders? That's insane. This is not Connor McDavid who's being discussed here. It's also not a prime Kopitar, which wouldn't have gone for that much either. Players just don't bring in that type of value.
Yeah, it is. But what you need to keep in mind, the Kings have no motivation to trade Kopi. So, he will need to be pried from the Kings in order to get a deal done. It's going to prohibitive to the trading team to make that happen. (That's all assuming that he waives his NMC).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's working out fine. Kopitar is just as productive offensively and defensively as ever. It's the rest of the Kings team that's the problem.
Correction, much like the Kings the Hawks traded away valuable pieces from picks to Panarin to depth..
Depth my friend is why the Kings are at the bottom and improved depth is why the Hawks are fighting for a playoff spot.. Even now you'd be hard pressed to find many teams where Kopitar wouldnt be their best player..
And it's not the big cap hits that force the team to trade away players or simply not have the cap space for any depth signings?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
This is one of those weird situations where a player is still an elite talent on the ice, but his contract and age drag his value considerably down. After this season, he'll be a 33 year old with nearly 1,100 NHL games of wear-and-tear who will still have four years of a $10M cap hit remaining.

That's quite a risk to take on. Not that LA would trade him in reality, but in the hypothetical situation.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is one of those weird situations where a player is still an elite talent on the ice, but his contract and age drag his value considerably down. After this season, he'll be a 33 year old with nearly 1,100 NHL games of wear-and-tear who will still have four years of a $10M cap hit remaining.

That's quite a risk to take on. Not that LA would trade him in reality, but in the hypothetical situation.

One of the most underrated things about Kopitar is is ability to weather said wear-and-tear. He's regularly playing the hardest forward minutes in the league and amongst the most icetime in the league and he's played 97% of his possible regular season games and never missed a playoff game. and is still nearly doubling his teammates up in points.

I think anyone that watches him sees a guy that should age well into his 30s, even if he starts getting banged up. Think Zetterberg.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Oh boy, I'm all ears, please do explain why Kopitar's contract is worse than Toews'

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
And it's not the big cap hits that force the team to trade away players or simply not have the cap space for any depth signings?
The Kings have about 5 million in cap space, and about 10 tied up in the Richards, Kovalchuk and Phaneuf terminations. Kopitar's contract is not what's keeping them from signing players.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
One of the most underrated things about Kopitar is is ability to weather said wear-and-tear. He's regularly playing the hardest forward minutes in the league and amongst the most icetime in the league and he's played 97% of his possible regular season games and never missed a playoff game. and is still nearly doubling his teammates up in points.

I think anyone that watches him sees a guy that should age well into his 30s, even if he starts getting banged up. Think Zetterberg.

I know you're blocking this out, but...
kopitar_anze487.jpg

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
So I'll change my offer a bit Ryan + Stone + Dube + Kylington + 1st 20 + 2nd 21 + 1st 22 + 3rd 23 for Kopitar(20%) + Marty

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
It was their intention to trade those player and get even more depth in return which didn’t workout..
The Kings traded away prospects and losing JDub was also huge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad