Value of: Anže Kopitar

TrevSens

Jan 18, 2016
I acknowledge the Kings don't intend on trading him and he likely wants to stay in LA as well, with a full NMC. But in the interest of fun, what does it take to get LA (a rebuilding team look9ng to transition and get younger) to move on from Kopitar. At 32 years old, 4 years left after this at $10m Cap hit, but with a declining salary.

For interest sake, if the Sens in the summer were looking to bring in a #1 center of this pedigree to improve the now and help groom the future, perhaps they're the type of team LA would be interested in with the sheer number of picks and prospects around. Sens can well afford to package some of their picks and prospects up for some bonafide quality if the fit is right.

Anyway go nuts, not just with Sens, but in general value of Kopitar.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You can't afford Anze, nor will he be traded. I would think that it would start with 2 or 3 first rounders plus some blue chips

No one is paying that price with Kopitar's current cap. But, it will still cost a premium for one of the best two way centers in the game. Wish Calgary could get him but Lucic is really holding back any sort of deal like this.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
No one is paying that price with Kopitar's current cap. But, it will still cost a premium for one of the best two way centers in the game. Wish Calgary could get him but Lucic is really holding back any sort of deal like this.
I agree. They could get a haul for him, but there’d have to be some retention.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I acknowledge the Kings don't intend on trading him and he likely wants to stay in LA as well, with a full NMC. But in the interest of fun, what does it take to get LA (a rebuilding team look9ng to transition and get younger) to move on from Kopitar. At 32 years old, 4 years left after this at $10m Cap hit, but with a declining salary.

For interest sake, if the Sens in the summer were looking to bring in a #1 center of this pedigree to improve the now and help groom the future, perhaps they're the type of team LA would be interested in with the sheer number of picks and prospects around. Sens can well afford to package some of their picks and prospects up for some bonafide quality if the fit is right.

Anyway go nuts, not just with Sens, but in general value of Kopitar.
For your Sens you'd be looking at giving up both 1st rounders this season and building from there..
"IF" a team was trading for Anze, they'd have to be on the cusp and young ala the Avs...
Imagine the Avs with Kopitar without giving up anyone on the team...
2-3 - 1st, Byram, Newhook, Kaut and if needed salary.. aka a gross overpayment but I think they'd win 2-3 cups before his contract were to end.. He's still that good and they'd be that good

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I feel like anyone interested in Anze would be a contender looking to trade either a lot of futures and a cap dump, or a younger but slightly worse player for a playoff push. The Senators and the Kings are both rebuilding so I don’t see a deal there. Maybe the Oilers would fit the bill? They’re recently coming into their own and are currently in a playoff spot but have a lot to offer a rebuilding team like LA.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
For your Sens you'd be looking at giving up both 1st rounders this season and building from there..
"IF" a team was trading for Anze, they'd have to be on the cusp and young ala the Avs...
Imagine the Avs with Kopitar without giving up anyone on the team...
2-3 - 1st, Byram, Newhook, Kaut and if needed salary.. aka a gross overpayment but I think they'd win 2-3 cups before his contract were to end.. He's still that good and they'd be that good

that is the exact team I thought of as well. Colorado would be a monster with him and MacK.

Imagine Kopitar not facing the other teams top line and top shutdown unit every night.

Imagine him with a line mate that was capable of scoring more than 55 points. Oh wait we brought in glass house Gabby, and a 55 year old Kovy to help him out in the last five years.

I love Kopitar, he is vastly underrated and he is the essential warrior you want to help lead your team through the playoffs.

The team already has an elite superstar center, a power winger and a pp defenseman. Adding a massive two way center that can shut down opposition, lead the PK and still play at close to a PPG pace puts the Av’s as my cup favorites.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
The Sens?

As a Kings fan, I'd give you Kopitar for:

The better of your two 1st rounders this draft
Lassi Thompson
Drake Batherson
Bobby Ryan (50% retained)

Add mid-round picks or ECHL contracts on either side, to taste

Sens get their 1st-line center the next few years and dump some bad money, Kings get two quality prospects and the right to draft another blue-chipper of their own.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Multiple blue chip prospects, on top of 2 or 3 first rounders? That's insane. This is not Connor McDavid who's being discussed here. It's also not a prime Kopitar, which wouldn't have gone for that much either. Players just don't bring in that type of value.
You can't afford Anze, nor will he be traded. I would think that it would start with 2 or 3 first rounders plus some blue chips

Reactions: 7even

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He's simply too old to bring in too much youthful value. It usually takes good 20 year olds, or really good 25 year olds, to get good 20 year olds in a trade. So, probably a cap dump or two with less term, and then some mix of non-elite prospects and picks. I highly doubt the Kings could get a top 10 pick or anything. Maybe a future 1st round pick that ends up in the top 10, but not a known top 10 pick. If it were possible to trade him, you're doing it mostly to get rid of the remaining 4 years of his deal.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
:laugh:

So that's what overpaid 30+ 70 point centers go for.

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Better off keeping him to lead the Kings out of the rebuild. Won't get enough to justify moving him.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Kings fan here. Love Kopitar, but the smart thing to do IMO, would be to move him. This team is at least 2 years away from being a playoff contender, possibly longer. Kopi will be 35 at that point and making 10 mil per to top it off...

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I could see moving Doughty, but not Kopitar. Every team needs a good leader to show the young guys the ropes and Kopitar is stilll one of the better 2-way centers in the game. He should retire a King. Only way I see Kopitar moving is if he request a move. I don't see that happening.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
:laugh:

So that's what overpaid 30+ 70 point centers go for.

Only a contender would truly have good reason to go after him. 2 late first+ isn't bad value at all for a star player. Add the fact any contender picking up said $10 million cap hit needs to dump salary, likely of a completely unwanted nature. Each player ages differently and Kopitar is still elite at 32. Putting up good numbers on a dumpster fire of a team. Despite his age and contract he's still very valuable.

PhilThrillPill

Jun 4, 2016
Toronto
As funny as it might sound you might actually need to retain on him or get cap dumps back because cup contenders are no where close to being able to accommodate that salary for that period of time.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He's 6'3" if you want to add an additional descriptor that also ignores the aspect of his game he's most known for.
And which of those aspects makes him worth 10 million going into decline years? Intangibles?

Everyone is making fun of Toews how his contract is sinking Hawks and whatnot but Toews is younger by a year, his contract is shorter by a year and he is just as productive. Nevertheless, the consensus is that's not worth 10 mil p/y. Not to mention by the end of his contract Kopitar is 37 and by that time he is 50 point player at the very best.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
And which of those aspects makes him worth 10 million going into decline years? Intangibles?

Everyone is making fun of Toews how his contract is sinking Hawks and whatnot but Toews is younger by a year, his contract is shorter by a year and he is just as productive. Nevertheless, the consensus is that's not worth 10 mil p/y. Not to mention by the end of his contract Kopitar is 37 and by that time he is 50 point player at the very best.

Kopitar is putting up solid numbers with no support, none. The cap isn't that bad since any deal requires cap dumps going to LA and $18 million in bonus money has already been paid out. Real dollars will be $7 million and ends at $6 million and that means a lot to certain clubs. How often are players of Kopitar's calibre available? Especially based around a futures and cap dumps deal. He's absolutely one of those players who could put a contender over the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00