Value of: Anže Kopitar

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
And which of those aspects makes him worth 10 million going into decline years? Intangibles?

Everyone is making fun of Toews how his contract is sinking Hawks and whatnot but Toews is younger by a year, his contract is shorter by a year and he is just as productive. Nevertheless, the consensus is that's not worth 10 mil p/y. Not to mention by the end of his contract Kopitar is 37 and by that time he is 50 point player at the very best.

You already said overpaid. Still missing something rather important that would impact his trade value.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kopitar is putting up solid numbers with no support, none. The cap isn't that bad since any deal requires cap dumps going to LA and $18 million in bonus money has already been paid out. Real dollars will be $7 million and ends at $6 million and that means a lot to certain clubs. How often are players of Kopitar's calibre available? Especially based around a futures and cap dumps deal. He's absolutely one of those players who could put a contender over the top.
First of, this was a reply to the guy who said Kopitar is worth 2-3 1sts and blue-chip prospect.

Secondly, no support is a thing but 60 points per season is also a thing.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You already said overpaid. Still missing something rather important that would impact his trade value.
So I asked you for help. What makes him worth trading for? Make your case. What would be the team willing to trade multiple first-rounders for him?

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
For your Sens you'd be looking at giving up both 1st rounders this season and building from there..
"IF" a team was trading for Anze, they'd have to be on the cusp and young ala the Avs...
Imagine the Avs with Kopitar without giving up anyone on the team...
2-3 - 1st, Byram, Newhook, Kaut and if needed salary.. aka a gross overpayment but I think they'd win 2-3 cups before his contract were to end.. He's still that good and they'd be that good

Wait...you want two-three 1sts, Byram, Newhook and Kaut? Is he coming with a time machine and retention?

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
So I asked you for help. What makes him worth trading for? Make your case. What would be the team willing to trade multiple first-rounders for him?
Guessing that fact that he is pretty darn great defensively as well, could be wrong though.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Kings fan here. Love Kopitar, but the smart thing to do IMO, would be to move him. This team is at least 2 years away from being a playoff contender, possibly longer. Kopi will be 35 at that point and making 10 mil per to top it off...

That's my thinking too, and man could you get a huge windfall for him.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

Anze Kopitar Wins Second Selke Trophy

I don't know what his value is, and the team's not going to trade him anyway, but to say his trade value is defined by him being an "overpaid 30+ 70 point center" when he's primarily known for his defensive and possession prowess is a bit silly.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Anze Kopitar Wins Second Selke Trophy

I don't know what his value is, and the team's not going to trade him anyway, but to say his trade value is defined by him being an "overpaid 30+ 70 point center" when he's primarily known for his defensive and possession prowess is a bit silly.
Well Toews has won Selke too so it doesn't help Kopitar any in that comparison. Bergeron has won 4 Selkies and is paid 3 mil less. So no matter how great defensively Kopitar is from the trade value perspective, that's not what defines him.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
First of, this was a reply to the guy who said Kopitar is worth 2-3 1sts and blue-chip prospect.

Secondly, no support is a thing but 60 points per season is also a thing.

I missed the blue chippers adds in the comment. Yes, that’s definitely not happening

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Well Toews has won Selke too so it doesn't help Kopitar any in that comparison. Bergeron has won 4 Selkies and is paid 3 mil less. So no matter how great defensively Kopitar is from the trade value perspective, that's not what defines him.

Its absolutely what defines him, hence why you're using Toews and Bergeron as comparables and not 70 point center Matt Duchene.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Kings fan here. Love Kopitar, but the smart thing to do IMO, would be to move him. This team is at least 2 years away from being a playoff contender, possibly longer. Kopi will be 35 at that point and making 10 mil per to top it off...
No movement clause and he isnt going anywhere.

Reactions: go4hockey

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kind of out of left field, but I always thought that Kopitar would be a great addition to the Islanders. A one-two punch of Kopitar and Barzal would be awesome. If the Kings retained 20%, I could see something like Oliver Wahlstrom, Bode Wilde, and a 2020 first round pick to get the talking started. Kopitar's value at $8,000,000 would be very good. That gives the Kings another top six forward and second-pairing defenseman for the future. Kings would probably be able to take a guy like Hickey back in the deal as well for cap purposes.

Islanders would then have a top six of:

Lee - Barzal - Bailey
Nelson - Kopitar - Beauvillier

(Not 100% sure where Eberle moves or where Nelson slides in, but just an example)

Kings future top six/top four looks like:

Kaliyev - Turcotte - Wahlstrom
Kupari - Vilardi - Fagemo

Bjornfot - Doughty
Clague - Wilde

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Kind of out of left field, but I always thought that Kopitar would be a great addition to the Islanders. A one-two punch of Kopitar and Barzal would be awesome. If the Kings retained 20%, I could see something like Oliver Wahlstrom, Bode Wilde, and a 2020 first round pick to get the talking started. Kopitar's value at $8,000,000 would be very good. That gives the Kings another top six forward and second-pairing defenseman for the future. Kings would probably be able to take a guy like Hickey back in the deal as well for cap purposes.

Islanders would then have a top six of:

Lee - Barzal - Bailey
Nelson - Kopitar - Beauvillier

(Not 100% sure where Eberle moves or where Nelson slides in, but just an example)

Kings future top six/top four looks like:

Kaliyev - Turcotte - Wahlstrom
Kupari - Vilardi - Fagemo

Bjornfot - Doughty
Clague - Wilde

Huge Kopitar fan, and would love to have him on the Isles. I would strongly consider this deal.

But if possible could retention be dropped, so that the Isles take the full cap but send Ladd (3x5.5) instead of Hickey (2x2.5)?

Isles also include another prospect (Aho or Koivula) and low pick.

Nelson moves to third line center, but still plays on the PP and PK. Isles prefer to roll lines consistently anyway.

Reactions: kilowatt

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Huge Kopitar fan, and would love to have him on the Isles. I would strongly consider this deal.

But if possible could retention be dropped, so that the Isles take the full cap but send Ladd (3x5.5) instead of Hickey (2x2.5)?

Isles also include another prospect (Aho or Koivula) and low pick.

Nelson moves to third line center, but still plays on the PP and PK. Isles prefer to roll lines consistently anyway.

I would consider taking Ladd back if Koivula was coming as well. So the whole deal would look like this:

To New York: Anze Kopitar
To Los Angeles: Oliver Wahlstrom, Bode Wilde, Otto Koivula, Andrew Ladd, 2020 1st round pick

This would guarantee the Kings another top-5 pick this year, plus a late first as well. Kings would have the best prospect pool in the league by a wide margin, I'd imagine.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I would consider taking Ladd back if Koivula was coming as well. So the whole deal would look like this:

To New York: Anze Kopitar
To Los Angeles: Oliver Wahlstrom, Bode Wilde, Otto Koivula, Andrew Ladd, 2020 1st round pick

This would guarantee the Kings another top-5 pick this year, plus a late first as well. Kings would have the best prospect pool in the league by a wide margin, I'd imagine.

Ottawa Senators will have 2 top 10 picks with already great prospect pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad