OT: Amusement Park Discussion

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Sadly I can't do many thrill rides anymore which breaks my heart. When I do go on something I practically crap my pants now. Spinning stuff went out the window first. I can't even think of Doctor Doom's Dead Fall or the Tower of Terror anymore. Regardless, I have to get in that Tron coaster before I die because I dreamt of a lightcycle ride since the movie came out.

I have the utmost respect for the Disney Imagineers who created the whole concept of a massive theme park. I have numerous books about the design and creation of attractions. Unfortunately I think the original design of Disney parks divided into genre lands has come back to limit them in their competition with Universal. Universal has the freedom to theme whole sections of a park to just one property. I know it can be all-or-nothing if you don't care about the property but good god I could live in Diagon Alley. It's that immersive.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Sadly I can't do many thrill rides anymore which breaks my heart. When I do go on something I practically crap my pants now. Spinning stuff went out the window first. I can't even think of Doctor Doom's Dead Fall or the Tower of Terror anymore. Regardless, I have to get in that Tron coaster before I die because I dreamt of a lightcycle ride since the movie came out.

I have the utmost respect for the Disney Imagineers who created the whole concept of a massive theme park. I have numerous books about the design and creation of attractions. Unfortunately I think the original design of Disney parks divided into genre lands has come back to limit them in their competition with Universal. Universal has the freedom to theme whole sections of a park to just one property. I know it can be all-or-nothing if you don't care about the property but good god I could live in Diagon Alley. It's that immersive.
I love the Disney+ shows about the Imagineers and how they designed things.

As a kid I hated rides then I had a course on physics and learned how these machines run and what makes it safe. That was the switch flipping that turned me into the ride person I am today.

Reactions: Amorgus

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Someone in here has to know where this horrifying thing lives.

View attachment 813306

It’s not quite the same bear,but this is all I can see

Screen_Shot_2018-12-03_at_11.30.17_AM.jpg

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I love the Disney+ shows about the Imagineers and how they designed things.

As a kid I hated rides then I had a course on physics and learned how these machines run and what makes it safe. That was the switch flipping that turned me into the ride person I am today.
It's crazy that a free-falling elevator wasn't FAST enough for the Tower of Terror so they had to FORCE it down quicker. I rode it the first Friday the 13th it was open and it only had one big drop back then. The following morning was rainy so my mom and I had our plastic ponchos with us. My mom tied hers around her waist while I just tucked mine between my legs, saying that's good enough. Another girl got in next to us and declared "I am a woman. I will SCREAM." and we laughed with her.

Then the drop finally came. Of course the wet poncho shot out from between my legs and wrapped itself around my head, arms flailing and making that girl scream bloody murder. I got it off my face and it stuck to the ceiling for a second. It then flopped down on top of us as we came to rest. We were laughing so goddamn hard at the end and that's what it's all about.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
It's crazy that a free-falling elevator wasn't FAST enough for the Tower of Terror so they had to FORCE it down quicker. I rode it the first Friday the 13th it was open and it only had one big drop back then. The following morning was rainy so my mom and I had our plastic ponchos with us. My mom tied hers around her waist while I just tucked mine between my legs, saying that's good enough. Another girl got in next to us and declared "I am a woman. I will SCREAM." and we laughed with her.

Then the drop finally came. Of course the wet poncho shot out from between my legs and wrapped itself around my head, arms flailing and making that girl scream bloody murder. I got it off my face and it stuck to the ceiling for a second. It then flopped down on top of us as we came to rest. We were laughing so goddamn hard at the end and that's what it's all about.
Those stories are what makes the day great at an amusement park.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I also never tried any creme soda until I had Butterbeer at Universal and found out it was usually vanilla flavored. My brain melted that vanilla soda has existed my entire life and I never tried it because I figured it was something gross like root beer. The "head" on the Butterbeer is the best damn part.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Wow that's almost a big of nightmare fuel as Gritty...

I'd think it's either Silver Dollar City or Knott's

It’s not quite the same bear,but this is all I can see

Screen_Shot_2018-12-03_at_11.30.17_AM.jpg
Dick is a legend.

It's from Storybook Land in Egg Harbor Township. The kids love it. They also happen to have the biggest live pheasant I've ever seen in my life in a totally random bird enclosure in the middle of the park. It looks like a short-legged turkey waddling around.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Polynesian, but we've stayed at the BoardWalk the last four times.
Nice! My parents have one and theirs is Saratoga, but we usually stay at OKW. It's the oldest, but all of their rooms are the biggest.

When I was in college, we went down for spring break, some family flew out of Baltimore and some out of Philly. There was a snowstorm coming and the family that flew out of Baltimore were the last flight to arrive back before they closed the airport. Me, my mom and my sister along with her about one year old, got stuck. We checked out of Saratoga and they had no availability and the earliest flight we could get on was three days later. For the next three nights we hopped from resort to resort. First night we stayed at the dolphin, second night was Boardwalk and the final night was Yacht and Beach. Each day we had to wheel our luggage around the lagoon from hotel to hotel...what a time that was. It was nice staying in resorts we've never stayed in though. The pool at Yacht and Beach is the best on property

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Reminds me of the time I saved a guys hat on Splash Mountain at Disney World. It went flying off when we went down the big drop, I tried to catch it but didn't and thought it was lost forever. Gave him an apologetic shrug when he asked if I got it. When we were going to get off I happened to look down and it was right at my feet. Gave it back to him and I think it made his day.

My fondest theme park memories have to be at Knoebels though. We tried to make it there every time we went up to visit our family in Pennsylvania. As a kid I was terrified of heights and wouldn't go near any roller coasters, so while my sister and cousins rode the Phoenix, I would get some extra one on one time chauffeuring my Nana on the antique cars. Getting a seat on the outer row of the carousel for a chance at the brass ring.

I was also a big fan of the bumper cars (and oh my god this photo is almost 23 years old)

1706758051035.jpeg

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Nice! My parents have one and theirs is Saratoga, but we usually stay at OKW. It's the oldest, but all of their rooms are the biggest.

When I was in college, we went down for spring break, some family flew out of Baltimore and some out of Philly. There was a snowstorm coming and the family that flew out of Baltimore were the last flight to arrive back before they closed the airport. Me, my mom and my sister along with her about one year old, got stuck. We checked out of Saratoga and they had no availability and the earliest flight we could get on was three days later. For the next three nights we hopped from resort to resort. First night we stayed at the dolphin, second night was Boardwalk and the final night was Yacht and Beach. Each day we had to wheel our luggage around the lagoon from hotel to hotel...what a time that was. It was nice staying in resorts we've never stayed in though. The pool at Yacht and Beach is the best on property
We've been over 15 times in 24 years now but only ever stayed at the Poly, Beach Club, AKL, and Boardwalk.

AKL is great, but too out of the way.

Love the location of the Epcot resorts. Hard to beat imo.

We'd like to stay at Bay Lake Tower someday just so we can walk to and from Magic Kingdom without having to rely on transportation.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Dick is a legend.

It's from Storybook Land in Egg Harbor Township. The kids love it. They also happen to have the biggest live pheasant I've ever seen in my life in a totally random bird enclosure in the middle of the park. It looks like a short-legged turkey waddling around.
I haven't been to Storybook Land since I was a kid. I don't have kids and don't want to be that guy. I have heard they have a nice coaster to get kids started on riding there.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Reminds me of the time I saved a guys hat on Splash Mountain at Disney World. It went flying off when we went down the big drop, I tried to catch it but didn't and thought it was lost forever. Gave him an apologetic shrug when he asked if I got it. When we were going to get off I happened to look down and it was right at my feet. Gave it back to him and I think it made his day.

My fondest theme park memories have to be at Knoebels though. We tried to make it there every time we went up to visit our family in Pennsylvania. As a kid I was terrified of heights and wouldn't go near any roller coasters, so while my sister and cousins rode the Phoenix, I would get some extra one on one time chauffeuring my Nana on the antique cars. Getting a seat on the outer row of the carousel for a chance at the brass ring.

I was also a big fan of the bumper cars (and oh my god this photo is almost 23 years old)

View attachment 813476
Knoebels is amazing. It's a park that seems lost in time but the rides are so well maintained. No parking fee, no admission to walk around, pay per ride or get various pay one price plans.

Phoenix is one of the best wooden coasters I've ridden. It looks like it's going to be a tame ride then you get in either row 3 or the back row and it tries to throw you out of the train. And the story of moving it from Texas is just proof of the love for the industry the family has.

The carousel is a link to my late mother. We always had to ride it and attempt to grab the brass ring. I have grabbed it a few times. Most times I grab it I give the free ride ticket to a kid.

Now the Skooters are legendary. Those things are not just bumper cars. They hit with impact. I've been on sessions that you get off the ride and everyone looks like they were in a huge accident on an interstate but are laughing hysterically and pointing at the people that crushed them.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Knoebels is amazing. It's a park that seems lost in time but the rides are so well maintained. No parking fee, no admission to walk around, pay per ride or get various pay one price plans.

Phoenix is one of the best wooden coasters I've ridden. It looks like it's going to be a tame ride then you get in either row 3 or the back row and it tries to throw you out of the train. And the story of moving it from Texas is just proof of the love for the industry the family has.

The carousel is a link to my late mother. We always had to ride it and attempt to grab the brass ring. I have grabbed it a few times. Most times I grab it I give the free ride ticket to a kid.

Now the Skooters are legendary. Those things are not just bumper cars. They hit with impact. I've been on sessions that you get off the ride and everyone looks like they were in a huge accident on an interstate but are laughing hysterically and pointing at the people that crushed them.
Knoebels is incredible I live about 20 minutes from there they have live entertainment on the weekends, free admission ,free parking, award winning coasters. The wife and I go there to eat and enjoy the atmosphere. Some Weekends can get somewhat crowded they have alot of company picnics in the pavilions.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
How when I was posting about Knoebels did I forget to include the Flyers. One of the best versions of the ride that I have found. I am one of the nuts that has the tub rocking and rolling, pretty much free falling from the highest point it can reach almost hitting the trees.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Knoebels is incredible I live about 20 minutes from there they have live entertainment on the weekends, free admission ,free parking, award winning coasters. The wife and I go there to eat and enjoy the atmosphere. Some Weekends can get somewhat crowded they have alot of company picnics in the pavilions.
I haven't been to Knoebels in over 20 years. My one friend really likes it and has kept suggesting a few of us make day trip up sometime (we're about an hour-75 minutes away). Gonna have to take her up on that sometime.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Disney is insane price wise. I just want to walk around not do the rides. Still 160 to go do that at Epcott. Crazy to me. How does a normal family afford Disney in 2024? Must be 6-10k for 5 or so days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad