OT: Amusement Park Discussion

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
As we have had a slight off track in the menu thread I figured let me start up a thread on one of my hobbies.

I am kind of an amusement park/roller coaster junkie.

I've been to a lot of the major parks east of the Mississippi River in the US and a done a few things West of there along with Canada's Wonderland outside Toronto.

Things I am currently looking forward to that have been already built would be
  • Iron Gwazi at Busch Gardens Tampa
  • A return trip to Busch Gardens Williamsburg since they've built 3 coasters since I was there last.
  • Wildcat's Revenge and Candymonium at Hershey Park.
  • Orion at Kings Island
  • All the newer Harry Potter stuff at Universal Studios Florida since I haven't been since before Covid
  • Tron/Star Wars stuff/Guardians of the Galaxy at Disney Florida complex.
Things being built currently that should open this year
  • Iron Menace at Dorney Park
  • Top Thrill 2 at Cedar Point
Also I'm not sure when it's opening but Epic Universe at Universal Studios Florida looks crazy with the Universal Monsters, Harry Potter, How to Train a Dragon and Nintendo areas.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As we have had a slight off track in the menu thread I figured let me start up a thread on one of my hobbies.

I am kind of an amusement park/roller coaster junkie.

I've been to a lot of the major parks east of the Mississippi River in the US and a done a few things West of there along with Canada's Wonderland outside Toronto.

Things I am currently looking forward to that have been already built would be
  • Iron Gwazi at Busch Gardens Tampa
  • A return trip to Busch Gardens Williamsburg since they've built 3 coasters since I was there last.
  • Wildcat's Revenge and Candymonium at Hershey Park.
  • Orion at Kings Island
  • All the newer Harry Potter stuff at Universal Studios Florida since I haven't been since before Covid
  • Tron/Star Wars stuff/Guardians of the Galaxy at Disney Florida complex.
Things being built currently that should open this year
  • Iron Menace at Dorney Park
  • Top Thrill 2 at Cedar Point
Also I'm not sure when it's opening but Epic Universe at Universal Studios Florida looks crazy with the Universal Monsters, Harry Potter, How to Train a Dragon and Nintendo areas.

Went to Disney/Universal in 2022. The new Harry Potter ride is killer. You take the Hogwarts Express from the original park to the new park, and it's pretty damn awesome. The new Harry Potter park is smaller than the first one, but packed with details. You also get to see the dragon on top of Gringott's Bank periodically breath fire.

I did all of the new Star Wars stuff too. Galaxy's Edge is the best, most immersive amusement park ride I have ever had.

Looking forward to going back for Tron and Guardians.

Universal also has the new Super Nintendo World opening next year I think?

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Figure you all can pick my brain and I can post reports of where I've been.

I got to renew my Cedar Fair pass soon as Kings Dominion opens in March which I'll probably get to opening weekend. I need some Intimidator 305 and Twisted Timbers.

Epic Universe is scheduled to open sometime in 2025. If you're looking for an update on it as it's being constructed, check out Bioreconstruct on Twitter. He has great pictures of the whole process

Universal dropped a teaser yesterday with only really explaining the entry portal area. But even that looks immersive.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have always wanted to make my way down to Kings Dominion for Intimidator 305. It looks incredible.

Pretty sure they're open year-round now so you don't have to destroy yourself going in summer.

I've hit the point where I'm physically unable to do roller coasters. 6 years ago at Disney I did that Yeti coaster. I saw the warnings about how people with hypertension and heart issues should absolutely not right. I scoffed. I had a blast until I got off the ride and I was lightheaded, heart pounding, feeling generally like dying. That's when I realized those warnings are about me.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Pretty sure they're open year-round now so you don't have to destroy yourself going in summer.

I've hit the point where I'm physically unable to do roller coasters. 6 years ago at Disney I did that Yeti coaster. I saw the warnings about how people with hypertension and heart issues should absolutely not right. I scoffed. I had a blast until I got off the ride and I was lightheaded, heart pounding, feeling generally like dying. That's when I realized those warnings are about me.
They only tried year round ops last winter. This year they closed after New Years and reopen March 23rd....I'm planning on being there that day. Also Intimidator normally couldn't run in winter due to operational temperature range and wind speeds.

I have some things that say don't ride. I ride until my body tells me to call uncle for the day then I chill out and enjoy people watching and shows.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I have always wanted to make my way down to Kings Dominion for Intimidator 305. It looks incredible.

Edit: Holy shit Top Thrill 2
It's one of only 3 coasters to actually have g forces affect my vision due to blood to brain getting drained. I didn't go full grey out but it did tunnel vision me. The speed and positive and negative g forces are no joke on it.

The other two to grey me out where Alphengheist at Busch Williamsburg at 4 consecutive rides without getting off and Viper at Great Adventure which doesn't exist anymore.

Top Thrill Dragster was a blast 420 feet above the ground with only a lap bar and seat belt holding you in the seat. The new design with the swing launch is going to be interesting. The reason for the update is due to an incident that permanently injured a lady. I was surprised they decided to redesign it and not tear it down. That's how bad the accident was.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Its prob been like 25 years since I was to an amusement park.

I remember Great Adventure had a drive-thru safari where people drove their own cars. Which is pretty ridiculous when you see the tours now are in like fortified trucks with caged windows.

They had a warning up against vinyl roofs and non-retractable antennas.

Car in front had like a convertible top and monkeys shredded that thing lol.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Its prob been like 25 years since I was to an amusement park.

I remember Great Adventure had a drive-thru safari where people drove their own cars. Which is pretty ridiculous when you see the tours now are in like fortified trucks with caged windows.

They had a warning up against vinyl roofs and non-retractable antennas.

Car in front had like a convertible top and monkeys shredded that thing lol.
It was back to a drive through safari again last summer but yeah they are going back to the trucks again this coming summer. They are also offering some kind of sleep over experience.

And yes the monkeys will tear cars to shit if you have anything they can grab.

One time my brother took his work truck with a rack on the back to transport construction materials. It became a mobile playset for them. Then one decided to have a little too much fun alone and my young niece started questioning... The laughs were endless that day.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Another topic in the industry that won't be completed in time to have a real effect on this summers visits but should be interesting going forward is the merger of Cedar Fair and Six Flags.

It is being sold as a merger of equals for now. But with the higher levels being populated by more Cedar Fair employees than Six Flags employees I'd lean more to Cedar Fair style leading than Six Flags leading.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Love the drive thru Safari just outside Toronto. Been there with 2 exes and the wife. Always take a rental car with full insurance...lol. nice getting so close to the animals, but yeah, the monkeys can be idiots.
FB_IMG_1706732234405.jpg
FB_IMG_1706732225571.jpg
FB_IMG_1706731896622.jpg

FB_IMG_1706731879755.jpg
FB_IMG_1706731841472.jpg

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
My first Rollercoaster ever was Top Gun in Canada's Wonderland. At the time, the fastest one they had. Loved it! Have done Disney in Fla, Universal, Bush Gardens, Marineland(Can)
My condolences to your brain after that first ride. Those suckers tend to bang your head around. Only coaster model I think I detest more than that one is the model that is Time Warp at Canada's Wonderland.

I love that park. Leviathan and Behemoth are outstanding. The flat rides stand out as one of the best collections I've experienced. Sledgehammer and Shockwave were new style rides to me when I went there. I've yet to find another Sledgehammer clone in my visits to other parks since.

Reactions: Tripod

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Disney's response to that park is going to be interesting.

Considering the flop of the Galatic Starcruiser hotel. I am not sure what they will try.
The entire company is a giant clusterf***. Iger isn't doing anything of note. And there's that supposed internal power struggle/take over that might happen. Something big has to happen to get them back in the good graces of the average family. Everything is too over priced and there is nothing new.

Reactions: BernieParent

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
The entire company is a giant clusterf***. Iger isn't doing anything of note. And there's that supposed internal power struggle/take over that might happen. Something big has to happen to get them back in the good graces of the average family. Everything is too over priced and there is nothing new.
I am hoping Iger is still trying to figure out what his predecessor did to screw things up so bad.

Plus the fight with Florida isn't helping them much.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I am hoping Iger is still trying to figure out what his predecessor did to screw things up so bad.

Plus the fight with Florida isn't helping them much.
Chapek?

Apparently the inside scoop on that was Chapek was only CEO in name and Iger never really left. And it caused a lot of internal strife, Chapek couldn't do much and Iger still made a lot of the calls. It's a rabbit hole to go down into.

Reactions: dragonoffrost

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Chapek?

Apparently the inside scoop on that was Chapek was only CEO in name and Iger never really left. And it caused a lot of internal strife, Chapek couldn't do much and Iger still made a lot of the calls. It's a rabbit hole to go down into.
I'm pretty sure this is the correct answer. Disney is in such disarray it's crazy. They have no answer for Epic Universe and it's going to be interesting to see what happens to Disney's attendance once it opens. Attendance is already down due to their outrageous prices and this is going to hurt it just more. Before, Disney was the reason people went to Orlando and Universal was seen as just a one-day break from the parks. Now, with three parks, and a water park that blows both of Disney's out of the water, no pun intended, Disney is in trouble. Universal is now a destination park to go to, not just a one-day visit.

As of now, Disney has no answer for Universal. Sure, they have these blue sky concepts to expand Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, but as of now, they are it that, blue sky. Add to that the amount of time it takes Disney to build anything, Tron took like 6 years to build a 60 second ride, there won't be anything new opening any time soon.

If you're bored, here's a Disney forum for you to look at. I check it from time to time and they have some folks who are in the know, but the threads all start to get repetitive since there's no much going on. There is a universal forum on there as well with a thread strictly for Epic Universe. That thread has been pretty active lately, obviously

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I'm pretty sure this is the correct answer. Disney is in such disarray it's crazy. They have no answer for Epic Universe and it's going to be interesting to see what happens to Disney's attendance once it opens. Attendance is already down due to their outrageous prices and this is going to hurt it just more. Before, Disney was the reason people went to Orlando and Universal was seen as just a one-day break from the parks. Now, with three parks, and a water park that blows both of Disney's out of the water, no pun intended, Disney is in trouble. Universal is now a destination park to go to, not just a one-day visit.

As of now, Disney has no answer for Universal. Sure, they have these blue sky concepts to expand Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, but as of now, they are it that, blue sky. Add to that the amount of time it takes Disney to build anything, Tron took like 6 years to build a 60 second ride, there won't be anything new opening any time soon.

If you're bored, here's a Disney forum for you to look at. I check it from time to time and they have some folks who are in the know, but the threads all start to get repetitive since there's no much going on. There is a universal forum on there as well with a thread strictly for Epic Universe. That thread has been pretty active lately, obviously

Yeah their a great place. WDWPro is a good follow on Twitter for info. My main source for pop culture is ClownfishTV, they're in the know for a lot of things.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Yeah their a great place. WDWPro is a good follow on Twitter for info. My main source for pop culture is ClownfishTV, they're in the know for a lot of things.
Yeah, I think WDWPro used to post on WDWmagic, but I havent been as active on there as I once was so not sure if he still does or not

Reactions: Chinatown88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad