"Americanizing" NHL Hockey?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
4 of the original 6 teams were American. When the league expanded to 12 teams, 10 of 12 teams became American. The league has always been mostly American.

Canada also has as many teams as it can support. You could argue for another team in the Toronto area, but the Leafs would block that.

Quebec City would be drawing better than some American markets if they had a team. I think the country could handle one more team, even if up to 4 in the West and 4 in the East.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not sure what cities should get a team really. Texas already has the stars who arent great attendance wise even though theyve likely had the most competitive, american set up since they came into the league. They were winning games and had Modano, that was a great set up to build a fan base.

I dont think New Orleans could have a team for example and alot of possibly other viable cities like a Cincinnatti or something already have a major team and an NHL team close by. After Vegas and Seattle theres a decent chance the NHL market is tapped out until some major growth in the game takes place

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Quebec City would be drawing better than some American markets if they had a team. I think the country could handle one more team, even if up to 4 in the West and 4 in the East.

I'd agree actually.

Quebec City is just above the threshold for supporting a team. Expansion into Quebec City is getting substantial opposition from Montreal, which is pushing their odds of success down.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Because Wayne Gretzky drove the coyotes into the ground so badly that the NHL had to take over the team and it’s still reeling from his idiocy (including hiring his playing friends in the front office - some of whom rather be playing golf than coaching)?

You mean Seattle as in the first American team to win the Stanley Cup? Or Seattle that has an extremely long history of hockey mostly at the WHL level and currently sports two teams in the Greater Seattle Area? That Seattle?
?? I said its a heavy tourist area. Ya crazy.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Not sure what cities should get a team really. Texas already has the stars who arent great attendance wise even though theyve likely had the most competitive, american set up since they came into the league. They were winning games and had Modano, that was a great set up to build a fan base.

I dont think New Orleans could have a team for example and alot of possibly other viable cities like a Cincinnatti or something already have a major team and an NHL team close by. After Vegas and Seattle theres a decent chance the NHL market is tapped out until some major growth in the game takes place

Seattle and Houston are the very likely next two American markets but it looks like Houston is going to be on the back burner.

And honestly, if the conditions are right and the ownership is committed, I'm very confident the NHL would love to get back into Atlanta someday.

I highly doubt that we will see NHL interest from New Orleans or Cincinnati.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad