"Americanizing" NHL Hockey?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
The NHL became Americanized when they brought in Bettman to chase the money. He pretty much broke the product, slapped lipstick and a wig on it and is pimping it out all over the US in places with no history with, or loyalty to, the sport.

Eventually it'll become something akin to the WWE.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
St.Louis has many NHL players currently. Wasn’t there 5 first rounders from STL a few years ago in the draft? Tkachuk, Keller, Brown, Kunin and Frederic. Not bad

Yeah, one of my favourite players, Pat Maroon is heading home.

But I didn't at all mean to slag any of those markets -Obviously there are people playing hockey there - many of them making it to the NHL.

I just don't like the idea that hockey participation = support at the NHL level. There's so much more to it than that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Americanized. Maybe what he doesn't like is how many NHL players as opposed to a decade or two ago are Americans. Hockey USA is a serious development program that is working on an international basis and in building NHL players. Look at the Capitals defense. 3 Americans. Carlson, Orpik, Niskanen. 1 Russian, Orlov. 1 Swede, Djoos. 1 Czech. Kempny.

The best player in Toronto is an American. The Captain in Montreal is an American.

Maybe I am wrong.

Reactions: Ratsreign

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
The NHL became Americanized when they brought in Bettman to chase the money. He pretty much broke the product, slapped lipstick and a wig on it and is pimping it out all over the US in places with no history with, or loyalty to, the sport.

Yep, took it to paces that had no history or loyalty to the sport. And guess what? Now a lot of those places have a history and loyalty to the sport. That's called growth.

Some of you guys act like curators of the game, trying to keep that fossil safe in the back room of the museum.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Yep, took it to paces that had no history or loyalty to the sport. And guess what? Now a lot of those places have a history and loyalty to the sport. That's called growth.

Some of you guys act like curators of the game, trying to keep that fossil safe in the back room of the museum.

And alot of those markets have no growth, more don't than do, and in the pursuit of a dollar the games been bastardized and weakened.

That fossil, and those loyal to it, is the root that's keeping the tree standing.

Reactions: rfournier103

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
4 of the original 6 teams were American. When the league expanded to 12 teams, 10 of 12 teams became American. The league has always been mostly American.

Canada also has as many teams as it can support. You could argue for another team in the Toronto area, but the Leafs would block that.

Reactions: puckbunnygirl

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
Always will be an uphill battle though. It's tough to really grow youth participation in a sport that requires ice in a place where the temperature is below freezing less than a month of the year.

And again, I'm in favor of having some Southern teams. Just pointing out the downside since that's what OP asked.

who actually plays ice hockey outside? literally no one in canada.

Reactions: IDuck

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO

you are so smart. did you vote for Ford?

Reactions: IDuck

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
They are doing it right putting it in heavy tourist areas like Vegas and Seattle, probably better exposure and someday maybe open the path to a team in like Mississippi.

Reactions: puckbunnygirl

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Technically you could argue the bench clearing brawls and fighting of the 70s and 80s was more akin to the WWe then today's brand of hockey. it seems like the NHL has gone the polar opposite as well taking the personalities out of hockey

I would actually argue if the NHL wants to "Americanize" itself more they might go to players and tell them to speak off the cuff to create a fake sense of rivalries

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

Amazingly short-sighted view, as if the love and loyalty are impossible to grow. Let's compare where it's been around for 25 yrs to where it has long been a way of life. It will never be quite the same, but that doesn't mean it's not popular or is a failure.
The popularity of hockey has grown everywhere expansion has occurred, kids are exposed and the true love of the game grows mostly with them. I see nothing but positives about expanding the popularity of the greatest game on Earth.
Remember to thank Bettman next time you're watching your boy Matthews do amazing things.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

I assume from your avatar you're a Leafs fan? If that's the case :laugh: The only reason they are relevant again is because of the "bastardized americanization" of the game.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I think we all know or anyone with an interest in world history and understanding of american influence realizes what happens to something once the americans get involved and how greed and money, the staple of american society takes precedence over everything in life.

Same thing happened to this league. Hence I haven't watched a game in years,not only is it boring, it bewilders my mind to watch a game that takes place in the US and watching those crowds compared to Europe or International sporting crowds.

The way the army propaganda of the americans is used in sport is hilarious also. Ohhh they have their troops in 140 countries, right.

The best is when they talk about growing the game, it's mindblowing there are Canadians that care about the game in america. Grow the game in your country first, don't worry about other's problems. People don't realize how bad the situation is in Canada when it comes to playing the game.

That's what happens when you grow up sucking on the culture of another nation.

Last edited:

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I think we all know or anyone with an interest in world history and understanding of american influence realizes what happens to something once the americans get involved and how greed and money, the staple of american society takes precedence over everything in life.

Same thing happened to this league. Hence I haven't watched a game in years,not only is it boring, it bewilders my mind to watch a game that takes place in the US and watching those crowds compared to Europe or International sporting crowds.

The way the army propaganda of the americans is used in sport is hilarious also. Ohhh they have their troops in 140 countries, right.

The best is when they talk about growing the game, it's mindblowing there are Canadians that care about the game in america. Grow the game in your country first, don't worry about other's problems. People don't realize how bad the situation is in Canada when it comes to playing the game.

That's what happens when you grow up sucking on the culture of another nation.

Really, who gives a flying f*** what you think, Comrade?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Every Canadian city with a population of 1 million or more has an NHL team. There really isn't much for us Canadians to complain about when you realize that fact.

The same cannot be said about the US, per capita there are more NHL teams for Canadians to watch than Americans have to watch.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I assume from your avatar you're a Leafs fan? If that's the case :laugh: The only reason they are relevant again is because of the "bastardized americanization" of the game.
:naughty: That's why Bettman rigged the draft for TML to win the right to pick Matthews. The irony of the kid whose initial training and love for hockey originated in AZ being the hockey hero in Mecca was not lost on him. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad